Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Senior Member Everest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Shimano 105 9-Speed Double to Triple Swap

    I have an '03 Shimano 105 triple group. I would like to convert to double, because I never use the granny, literally in about 5K miles it hasn't been used even on some killer grades. Plus I just want to. What I need to know are what parts I need to replace to get the setup to work perfectly, I dont want so-so performance I want it to perform like stock. So obviously I need a new crank and bottom bracket. Plus different front and rear deralluers. My question is mainly in relation to the brifters: Are there two different models for double and triple? Will my existing brifters work? Will there be a "ghost click"? Anything else I need to know?

    P.S. I did search the forums but just wanted to confirm everything with my particular case i.e. no compacts
    Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
    Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara

  2. #2
    Senior Member Deanster04's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Boulder, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Cinelli Supercoursa 69, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Mondonico Diamond Extra 05, Coors Light Greg Lemond (built by Scapin) 88, Scapin MTB, Stumpjumper 83, Specialized Stumpjumper M4, Lemond Poprad 2001
    Posts
    1,366
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have Killer grades in Iowa? I am a campy guy but I have both double and triple equiped bikes. Usually you have to change: FD, RD, BB, Crankset, and chain. You can use the same STI shifters, Cassette, and if you remove some links the same chain. I'd save the triple stuff for visits to Colorado. Good luck.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Everest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^^^ Yep you wouldnt think so, but we have some up in the north east. There are even ski resorts up their definately not the same caliber as yours but still. I have been on a 15% up their at least acorrding to the lbs, seemed like it well could have been.
    Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
    Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,016
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Everest
    Will my existing brifters work? Will there be a "ghost click"? Anything else I need to know?
    Your 105 shifters will work fine, they are double/triple, but on a double you will have at least one extra click-stop. If you could find some D-A double 9-speed shifters they are double or triple specific and the doubles do not have the extra click-stops.

    Al

  5. #5
    Senior Member Everest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa / Island Park, Idaho
    My Bikes
    Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 03 Gary Fisher Tassjara, Quattro Assi Scandium
    Posts
    778
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943
    Your 105 shifters will work fine, they are double/triple, but on a double you will have at least one extra click-stop. If you could find some D-A double 9-speed shifters they are double or triple specific and the doubles do not have the extra click-stops.

    Al
    So if I were to buy a bike stock with 105 double it would have an extra click?
    Road: Quattro Assi Scandium w/ SRAM Rival and Rolf Echelon's
    Mountain: 2005 Specialized Enduro Comp
    2003 Gary Fisher Tassajara

  6. #6
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your current RD will work fine going to a double. You will need a new crank and BB. You may be able to get the FD to work by setting the limit screws, but it is a cheap part if you just want to get a double specific one. I wouldn't bother doing this switch personally (you may go somewhere with bigger hills some day), but have fun with the swap.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,016
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Everest
    So if I were to buy a bike stock with 105 double it would have an extra click?
    Yes, but it shouldn't be a problem.

    Al

  8. #8
    Senior Member grolby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    BOSTON BABY
    Posts
    6,689
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big waste of your money. That inner ring weighs hardly anything, just keep it and don't use it. Why not just go to a double when you buy another bike?

    That said, it can be done. The other guys in here are pointing you in the right direction.

  9. #9
    Direct Hit Not Required BlastRadius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    San Bruno, CA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Galileo, Bianchi Alloro, Guerciotti Cross Force, Iron Horse Hollowpoint MKIII
    Posts
    6,190
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943
    Yes, but it shouldn't be a problem.

    Al
    When you've adjusted the FD limit screws you won't have any extra clicks. You should have two, 1 + trim.

    All you need is a crankset and BB, nothing else. You could possibly even use just the shorter BB and take the granny ring off the existing crankset (if there's clearance).

    The triple FD will work perfectly, you just need to adjust the limits, which you would have to do anyway if you bought a new FD. I know, I run triple FDs on two of my double equipped bikes.

    The RD will work perfectly as well.

    The shifters will work perfectly... see above about the FD limit adjustment.

    No, you don't have to replace the chain nor remove any links. Your converting from triple to double, not triple to compact.
    However, after 5k miles, you may want to replace the chain anyway.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,584
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Everest
    I have an '03 Shimano 105 triple group. I would like to convert to double, because I never use the granny, literally in about 5K miles it hasn't been used even on some killer grades. Plus I just want to. What I need to know are what parts I need to replace to get the setup to work perfectly, I dont want so-so performance I want it to perform like stock. So obviously I need a new crank and bottom bracket. Plus different front and rear deralluers. My question is mainly in relation to the brifters: Are there two different models for double and triple? Will my existing brifters work? Will there be a "ghost click"? Anything else I need to know?

    P.S. I did search the forums but just wanted to confirm everything with my particular case i.e. no compacts
    The same 9-speed shifter set works with either double or triple cranksets.

    There is no need to resize the chain because your big/big combination is all but unchanged. Derailleur arm length, surprisingly, doesn't affect chain length.

    Relative to performance, there is no need to replace your rear derailleur. If you want your bike to look like a factory installation, you will, of course, need to replace both derailleurs.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •