Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
s.i.s. shift lever demystification please
I am on a quest to set up a couple of 7 speed uniglide cassette wheels on my 2 vintage road bikes that have 126 mm rear triangles. I am setting up a Dura Ace 7400 7 speed UG cassette rear wheel and have also ordered a 600/Ultegra 7 speed cassette rear hub. I have also ordered what I believe to be the correct cassettes for each one through various ebay sellers. I will be looking for additional UG (uniglide) twist tooth cogs to get better ratios, particularly for the Dura Ace cassette which is just a 13-19.
Thank you, Sheldon Brown for answering in this forum and my email so far. Its odd how questions, and increased knowledge leads to more questions but here goes:
1) Would the Sora STI shifters work fine for the 7 speed uniglide cassettes with a non-dura ace 7400 rear derailleur? I thought of using a 9 speed Dura Ace 7703 rear.
2) Do these Sora brifters handle a triple crank up front?
3) I have a set of early 90's Mavic indexing downtube levers - any chance these would index properly with the uniglide 7 speed cassettes?
4) Does anyone know of additional sources for the individual Uniglide cogs or complete cassettes? It appears biketoolsetc. has a few, as well as ebay.
5) I do have Mavic retrofriction levers I could use, would it be less of a hassle to just use these and have a sweet friction set-up? I really would like to try indexing though, preferably with Shimano down tube braze-on levers.
I know this is a lot of questions. Feel free to pipe in on any of them, I would greatly appreciate the dialog