Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    What kind of grease for headset?

    What kind of grease can I use in the headset? Is there anything I can pick up at Wal-Mart or somewhere close to home? I'm guessing I need something that does not corrode ruber gaskets and such?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2001
    Location
    England
    Posts
    12,074
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    White Lithium grease is std for bikes. You can get special waterproof or extra slippery stuff but I use the std stuff.
    Get a small tub but you have to avoid contamination. Transfer some grease into an old film canister to use in the workshop.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec-9
    What kind of grease can I use in the headset? Is there anything I can pick up at Wal-Mart or somewhere close to home? I'm guessing I need something that does not corrode ruber gaskets and such?
    Lubrimatic Marine Wheelbearing grease from HomeDepot. It works well, it's cheap and will last a long time.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  4. #4
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phill wood bearing grease also works. Comes in a convenient tube.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  5. #5
    ride, paint, ride simplify's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R300 Caad2
    Posts
    1,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LUCAS
    Lubrimatic Marine Wheelbearing grease from HomeDepot. It works well, it's cheap and will last a long time.
    +1. This is truly fine grease, for just about every part of the bike. I've been using it in the hubs, bottom bracket, and headset of three different bikes for a while now, and it works superbly well. It has not caused any problems with any of the rubber seals or gaskets on any of my bikes. In my experience, it maintains its consistency and texture a lot better than Phil Wood grease. I did a lot of research about the different greases last year, and Lubrimatic is a calcium sulfonate-based grease, which, in testing, compares very favorably to Park's super-expensive and highly-regarded polyurea-based grease. But Lubrimatic is only a couple bucks for a big can, and it's as close as the nearest Home Depot. Don't have to order it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    50
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lawkd
    +1. This is truly fine grease, for just about every part of the bike. I've been using it in the hubs, bottom bracket, and headset of three different bikes for a while now, and it works superbly well. It has not caused any problems with any of the rubber seals or gaskets on any of my bikes. In my experience, it maintains its consistency and texture a lot better than Phil Wood grease. I did a lot of research about the different greases last year, and Lubrimatic is a calcium sulfonate-based grease, which, in testing, compares very favorably to Park's super-expensive and highly-regarded polyurea-based grease. But Lubrimatic is only a couple bucks for a big can, and it's as close as the nearest Home Depot. Don't have to order it.

    What section of Home Depot is it in? I looked around for some grease there (prior to this thread) and did not see any.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,414
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any grease will work. I use CV joint grease because its cheap and comes in a squeeze tube which makes it very convenient to keep around without getting contaminated (I always forget to put the cover back on the Tub O' Grease and have to skim off the top layer to get at the clean stuff)
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  8. #8
    My bikes became Vintage OLDYELLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree with LUCAS. The grease must be water-resistant because, in all likelyhood, the headset will never ever come apart again until it has to be replaced. The white greases dry out after a few years.
    1981 Nishiki Ultimate
    1977 Nishiki Landau
    1967 Jeunet Captivante track bike
    1951 Claud Butler New Allrounder under construction
    "index shifters = frets on a fiddle"

  9. #9
    ride, paint, ride simplify's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R300 Caad2
    Posts
    1,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec-9
    What section of Home Depot is it in? I looked around for some grease there (prior to this thread) and did not see any.
    There's a section where there are different greases, and lubricants and Liquid Wrench and WD-40. In the local Home Depot, it's near the section where all the loose hardware (nails, nuts, washers, etc) are. That same aisle. It may differ from store to store, but any of the workers that you can ask, should know right where it is.

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,641
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tec-9
    What section of Home Depot is it in? I looked around for some grease there (prior to this thread) and did not see any.
    At my local Home Depot, it is shelved right next to where they have the small tool boxes, protection eyewear and the like. It was kind of out of the way, behind the checkout lines. I'll ask around from an employee at the store, if I were you.

    The last time I bought one, I paid around $3.00 or so.

    I have also seen the same grease at OSH, if you have OSH stores in Houston.

    Good luck.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  11. #11
    ride, paint, ride simplify's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    San Diego
    My Bikes
    Cannondale R300 Caad2
    Posts
    1,202
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OLDYELLR
    ...The grease must be water-resistant because, in all likelyhood, the headset will never ever come apart again until it has to be replaced...
    This isn't true if you're doing proper maintenance on your headset. A headset should be cleaned out and overhauled with new bearings and fresh grease at least once a year. More often in muddy conditions, maybe less often if the bike isn't ridden much and/or has a protector sleeve around the lower headset races. Otherwise, if you don't clean it out and overhaul it every year, you're greatly accelerating its demise.

  12. #12
    My bikes became Vintage OLDYELLR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You're right, if the bike is ridden every day regardless of weather, or is a MTB or cyclocross bike that spends weekends in the mud. Since I'm depending on my bike for transportation and just 2 or 3 times a week, that kind of preventive maintenance may be overkill. Then again, it is a way of bonding with the bike on those miserable winter weekends.
    1981 Nishiki Ultimate
    1977 Nishiki Landau
    1967 Jeunet Captivante track bike
    1951 Claud Butler New Allrounder under construction
    "index shifters = frets on a fiddle"

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •