Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-06, 05:05 PM   #1
maddyfish
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
maddyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ky. and FL.
Bikes: KHS steel SS
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quill stem question

I need a longer stem, I am interested in one from nashbar that is for 1 inch threaded forks. How do I know if I have a 1" threaded fork? It is also for a 26.0 bar clamp. Is that the measurement of the diameter of my bars where they attach to the stem? Here is a pic of the stem area of my bike
The bike is an early to mid 90's Miyata 714.
maddyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 05:20 PM   #2
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, that's a 1" threaded fork. You can tell because the stem goes into the fork, whereas with a modern Aheadset-type threadless design, the stem clamps onto the outside of the fork.

You *almost certainly* have 26.0 mm handlebars. The only other reasonable possibility is 25.4 mm bars, which were used on old American road bikes and 1980s Japanese bikes for the American market. If you want to be sure, get a pair of calipers, but I'd bet 20 to 1 that you have 26 mm bars.

In any case, that Nashbar stem should work. If it turns out that you have 25.4 mm bars, you can use a thin piece of aluminum can as a shim...
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 06:11 PM   #3
forensicchemist
40 something and counting
 
forensicchemist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: dallas/ft.worth texas
Bikes: Colnago,Tsunami, Kestrel, Univega
Posts: 421
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I need a longer stem, I am interested in one from nashbar that is for 1 inch threaded forks. How do I know if I have a 1" threaded fork? It is also for a 26.0 bar clamp. Is that the measurement of the diameter of my bars where they attach to the stem? Here is a pic of the stem area of my bike
The bike is an early to mid 90's Miyata 714.

What reach are you looking for? PM me....I have several to choose from....if I have what you want, you can have it....

mark
forensicchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 06:13 PM   #4
maddyfish
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
maddyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ky. and FL.
Bikes: KHS steel SS
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just measured my bar, on my caliper it measures 25.5 mm, my caliper is sort of old and generic, so I'd assume that is 26mm?

I guess now is the question, how do I change it?
maddyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 06:33 PM   #5
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyfish
I just measured my bar, on my caliper it measures 25.5 mm, my caliper is sort of old and generic, so I'd assume that is 26mm?

I guess now is the question, how do I change it?
Yes, it sounds like 26 mm... I forgot to mention that the part of the bar where the stem clamps down is SLIGHTLY thicker than the rest of the bar, that probably explains the discrepancy.

First, you have to remove the handlebar from the stem, this part is a bit annoying because you don't have a "pop top" stem (the newer design):

Pop top stems come apart so that it's easy to remove the handlebar.

Since you don't have a pop-top stem, what you must do is unwrap the tape from one side of the bar (do the left side) and remove the brake lever from that side of the bar. Then you use an allen wrench to loosen the stem clamp, and guide the bare side of the bar out of the stem.

After that, you use an allen wrench to unscrew the bolt on top of the stem (the one that's in line with the fork). After you've loosened it a few turns, you can simply pull the stem out. (If it's stuck, give it a soft whack with a mallet then try to remove it.)

Now you have to put the new stem in. Presumably, it's of the newer kind that has a wedge bolt:


Slather the bottom 2 inches of the new stem with grease (this will make removal easier later), and stick the stem into the steer tube of the fork. Make sure you stick it past the "minimum insertion" mark on the stem... other than that you can put it to whatever height you desire. Align the new stem, and tighten up the bolt on top so that the stem doesn't slip or turn from side to side.

Now put the handlebar back into the stem, and tighten up the clamp bolt. Replace the brake lever, rewrap the bars, clean up any grease, and tighten everything up. Incidentally, as long as you're doing all this, it's probably a good time to check and/or replace your brake cables, and maybe to adjust your headset if you're feeling bold.

(photos are from Sheldon Brown's awesome web site: http://sheldonbrown.com)
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 06:35 PM   #6
barba
Senior Member
 
barba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxfyre
Yes, it sounds like 26 mm... I forgot to mention that the part of the bar where the stem clamps down is SLIGHTLY thicker than the rest of the bar, that probably explains the discrepancy.

First, you have to remove the handlebar from the stem, this part is a bit annoying because you don't have a "pop top" stem (the newer design):

Pop top stems come apart so that it's easy to remove the handlebar.

Since you don't have a pop-top stem, what you must do is unwrap the tape from one side of the bar (do the left side) and remove the brake lever from that side of the bar. Then you use an allen wrench to loosen the stem clamp, and guide the bare side of the bar out of the stem.

After that, you use an allen wrench to unscrew the bolt on top of the stem (the one that's in line with the fork). After you've loosened it a few turns, you can simply pull the stem out. (If it's stuck, give it a soft whack with a mallet then try to remove it.)

Now you have to put the new stem in. Presumably, it's of the newer kind that has a wedge bolt:


Slather the bottom 2 inches of the new stem with grease (this will make removal easier later), and stick the stem into the steer tube of the fork. Make sure you stick it past the "minimum insertion" mark on the stem... other than that you can put it to whatever height you desire. Align the new stem, and tighten up the bolt on top so that the stem doesn't slip or turn from side to side.

Now put the handlebar back into the stem, and tighten up the clamp bolt. Replace the brake lever, rewrap the bars, clean up any grease, and tighten everything up. Incidentally, as long as you're doing all this, it's probably a good time to check and/or replace your brake cables, and maybe to adjust your headset if you're feeling bold.
You should credit Sheldon!
barba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 06:37 PM   #7
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barba
You should credit Sheldon!
Good point! The photos in my above post are from Sheldon Brown's awesome web site: http://sheldonbrown.com
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-06, 07:00 PM   #8
maddyfish
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
maddyfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ky. and FL.
Bikes: KHS steel SS
Posts: 3,944
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Great info! Thank you all very much, looks like a job that I can handle!
maddyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:22 PM.