Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    New Wheelset for an Old 7-Speed Bike

    I have a 1994 Cannondale Killer V900 mountain bike that has a 7-speed casette in the back. It has Shimano LX rapidfire brifters, LX FDerailleur, XT RDerailleur, original cantilever brakes and Shimano LX Parallax hubs.

    I am gonna need a new wheelset for this bike soon, and I am at a loss as to what to buy.

    My question is this: Can I buy a wheelset that I saw on the Internet that has Shimano XT 760 hubs laced to Mavic XC 717 rims, that is labelled as compatible for 9/8 speed casette with skewers? The proposed wheelset also mentioned that it is compatible with V-brakes. Does this mean that the wheelset won't work with cantilever brakes?

    Will my old brifters and my 7-Speed cogs work with my proposed wheelset? If not, what do I need to do to make it work or to buy new wheels?

    The essence of my question is this, What do I need to watch out for in buying new wheels for an old 7-cog bike?

    Please do not tell me to get rid of the bike. I have tremendous sentimental attachment to this bike.

    Thanks for all responses.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  2. #2
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No takers?
    Regards,

    Jed

  3. #3
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    14,734
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Compatible with v-brakes just means that the rim sides are machined for rim brakes. Slide a 4.5mm spacer on before you install the 7-speed cassette. Install the wheels, check the adjustment of your derailer stops and ride. You can still buy 7 speed wheelsets on eBay and they're cheap because nobody wants them. I paid $25 +$15 shipping for the last set I bought and they're brand new. The front is Deore XT and the rear is some sort of Parallax. Here they are:

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...68014369jHohCP


    Skip the spacer if you buy a 7-speed wheelset.

  4. #4
    Day Tourer blue steal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Los Angeles
    My Bikes
    93Univega/Carisma/Cromo/7spd
    Posts
    208
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1
    Blue Steed

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Charlottesville, Virginia
    My Bikes
    Dawes Kalahari, Puch Prima Super Sport, Graham Weigh 853
    Posts
    1,990
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you can also use an old cassette cog as the spacer....

  6. #6
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,100
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Measure the distance between your rear dropouts with a millimeter ruler. If it's 135mm, that's good. Simply buy the new wheel, install a 4.5mm spacer behind your 7-speed cassette and you'll be good to go.

    If the distance between your rear dropouts happens to be something else, the new wheelset can still be made to work but it's likely to require some modifications.

  7. #7
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
    Measure the distance between your rear dropouts with a millimeter ruler. If it's 135mm, that's good. Simply buy the new wheel, install a 4.5mm spacer behind your 7-speed cassette and you'll be good to go.

    If the distance between your rear dropouts happens to be something else, the new wheelset can still be made to work but it's likely to require some modifications.
    +1

    Then if you want to upgrade to 9 speed it's simply a matter of putting on a new cassette and the wheel part of the conversion is done.

    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  8. #8
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,182
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    LUCAS, is your frame steel or aluminum? If it's steel, it can be safely and permanently spread to accomodate 135 mm hub spacing. If it's aluminum, and your dropouts are 126 mm, then I'm afraid you're out of luck for using a 135 mm hub...
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  9. #9
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxfyre
    LUCAS, is your frame steel or aluminum? If it's steel, it can be safely and permanently spread to accomodate 135 mm hub spacing. If it's aluminum, and your dropouts are 126 mm, then I'm afraid you're out of luck for using a 135 mm hub...
    Moxfyre, the frame is aluminum. The space between the dropouts is 135mm though. I guess I am in luck. I'll try and find the 4.5mm spacer, and then try and get the new 8/9-speed wheelset I mentioned in post #1 above.

    Thanks to all that responded.

    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  10. #10
    Senior Member Jed19's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,635
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtdrop
    Compatible with v-brakes just means that the rim sides are machined for rim brakes. Slide a 4.5mm spacer on before you install the 7-speed cassette. Install the wheels, check the adjustment of your derailer stops and ride. You can still buy 7 speed wheelsets on eBay and they're cheap because nobody wants them. I paid $25 +$15 shipping for the last set I bought and they're brand new. The front is Deore XT and the rear is some sort of Parallax. Here they are:

    http://community.webshots.com/photo/...68014369jHohCP


    Skip the spacer if you buy a 7-speed wheelset.
    Dirtdrop, thanks for your response. That is a nice set-up you have with your Trek. Nice wheels too. I have noted your advice, and started looking on eBay. I hope I can find something nice there. If I don't, I'll just have to buy the wheelset mentioned in my post #1 above from the web, then have my local LBS work out whatever kinks the wheelset have, then mount with a 4.5mm spacer.

    I do envy your paying only $40 for your brand new XTwheelset though. I hope I can be as lucky as you were on eBay. What rims were the hubs laced to?

    Jeez, $40. Very very nice.


    Regards,
    Regards,

    Jed

  11. #11
    Senior Member Grand Bois's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Pinole, CA, USA
    Posts
    14,734
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm at work, but I think the rims are Weinnmans. They seem to be strong. I weigh over 200 pounds and that's my beater bike.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •