Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-07-06, 10:04 PM   #1
dannl
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
9 speed freehub on a 7 speed rear hub

If I get a 7 speed rear hub (32 hole body, axel, cones etc.) with a 7 speed freehub, can I just switch in a 9 speed free hub? There are no spokes/rim attached yet.
dannl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 02:29 AM   #2
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
According to Sheldon Brown, if it's Shimano, YES. As far as I know Campy didn't really make any 7 speed cassettes. They made plenty of 8 speed though. The cost of shimano 9 speed hubs is so low for 105 level that it doesn't make sense to buy a freehub though. Good luck.

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 02:40 AM   #3
Wil Davis
Curmudgeon
 
Wil Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nausea, New Hamster
Bikes: (see http://wildavis.smugmug.com/Bikes) Bianchi Veloce (2005), Nishiki Cascade (1992), Schwinn Super Sport (1983)
Posts: 1,572
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes - I've done exactly that. I found a Shimano Ultegra 600 hub on eBay, and changed the freehub from a 7 to an 8/9, a task which is made considerably easier after the hub is built into the wheel.

- Wil
Wil Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 07:24 AM   #4
dannl
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Philadelphia
Bikes:
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the cost of a 9 speed 105 hub? If $60 is an average price, it's not cheap for me. Where do you recommend I get the least expensive components to piece together a bike (LBS deals, specific internet distributors, etc)?
dannl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 05:15 PM   #5
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,903
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannl
If I get a 7 speed rear hub (32 hole body, axel, cones etc.) with a 7 speed freehub, can I just switch in a 9 speed free hub? There are no spokes/rim attached yet.
Well yes and no. The freehub bodies are interchangable, but the 9-speed freehub body is obviously wider. The axle sets (right side cone, spacers and maybe axle length) are a little different. You'll have to fiddle around a bit mixing and matching parts to make the over locknut dimension come out right.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 05:25 PM   #6
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs1
According to Sheldon Brown, if it's Shimano, YES. As far as I know Campy didn't really make any 7 speed cassettes. They made plenty of 8 speed though. The cost of shimano 9 speed hubs is so low for 105 level that it doesn't make sense to buy a freehub though. Good luck.
It *does* make sense to replace just the freehub if the wheel is already built up and you don't feel like rebuilding it. Retro Grouch is correct, although the freehub can be easily replaced, you'll have to respace the axle. It'll take you 15 minutes or so if you've overhauled a hub before.

Here's a Deore 36H rear hub for $25... http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

A perfectly good hub, not as well sealed as the LX or XT hubs, but better than what entry level MTBs have.
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-06, 05:34 PM   #7
cs1
Senior Member
 
cs1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Clev Oh
Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn
Posts: 6,705
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxfyre
It *does* make sense to replace just the freehub if the wheel is already built up and you don't feel like rebuilding it. Retro Grouch is correct, although the freehub can be easily replaced, you'll have to respace the axle. It'll take you 15 minutes or so if you've overhauled a hub before.

Here's a Deore 36H rear hub for $25... http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

A perfectly good hub, not as well sealed as the LX or XT hubs, but better than what entry level MTBs have.
+1 Why not just the freehub body? I've done it on a Campy 8 speed. I can't imagine it's much harder on a Shimano. The wheel will have to be redished. Good luck

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

Tim
cs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:39 AM.