Old Enough to Know Better
Join Date: Mar 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Originally Posted by dalmore
I didn't get time to stop by the bike shop and pick up cable and housing so I just tore everything down, cleaned, lubed and reinstalled. I didn't see any obvious problems but the guide under the bottom bracket was kind of rough. The cable is bare there so perhaps that's where the problem lies. We'll see what happens now.
If it happens again I think I'll replace the cable with "sealed" system - housing all the way from shifter to derailer. What would be the downside in doing this other than weight of the extra housing? Surely someone makes an adaptor to attach housed cables to braze-on cable ends - what are they called? It's much easier on my pride to have a name for the part I'm trying to purchase when I walk in the bike shop.
If you're talking about eliminating the sections of exposed cabling, there's probably not much of a problem with just bypassing them and zip tying the housings to the frame, but there's not much advantage either. I doubt that weight is a factor either way. If I were going to modify anything I would probably try to re-route to the top of the BB or higher. I find myself spending too much time with the BB/chainring acting as a skid plate to want a rear DR cable between me and the rock/branch/mud I'm crashing/riding over.
If you get a generic kit it will contain all the cable ends you will need. I bought a Giant brand kit from an LBS and it had all ends, ferrules, cables and housings I needed for the whole job. The cutting of the housings is the only tricky part. Depending on how you cut them off they can get crushed and raggedy. You'll have to re-round them and smooth out the ends (paying special attention to the liner) to get smooth operation. A mechanics class instructor made us all liner tools out of sharpened broken spokes.