Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    semifreddo amartuerer 'nother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Trek carbon-frame FD mounts ("braze-on")?

    Trek 2004 5200 frame with the metal FD braze-on/mount...wanted to install a compact crank but the slot in the mount does not allow the FD to move low enough (I'm going for the "penny thickness" that Park Tool recommends between the teeth of the outer chainring and lower edge of the outer cage plate of the FD...closest I can get is about 3 cents worth ). FD in question is Ultegra 10s double (6600).

    It looks like the mount is removable from the frame. Anyone know if I can replace it with a new mount that would allow my FD to move down a little more? If so where is the best place to start looking? If not, any suggestions how to get the compact mounted with the FD in the proper position? I suppose I could enlarge the slot with a Dremel or something, but I'm not sure if I degrade the integrity of the mount by doing that.
    Can you pass the test?
    Yield to Life.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,383
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In another post someone said they had a derailleur hanger custom made at a machine shop.
    For my wife's Ultegra triple I deepened the slot with a Dremel and round file. If you try this be very careful with the Dremel, it works very quickly in that soft metal.

    Al

  3. #3
    semifreddo amartuerer 'nother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, the ol' Dremel works very quickly in *everything* it seems

    Thanks for the tips. I'm going to chase it up with a Trek dealer before I get into modding it myself or going the machine shop route...seems like it must be a fairly common problem, or at least not a rare problem, especially now that compacts are becoming more common. I have to imagine that on newer bikes they have more adjustment range (though it's not like this one is really that "old").
    Can you pass the test?
    Yield to Life.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,383
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I haven't worked on any compacts yet. Would a compact specific derailleur go low enough that you would not need to modify the hanger? Wonder if anyone else could tell us?

    Al

  5. #5
    semifreddo amartuerer 'nother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I kind of wondered that, too but I'm skeptical...this seems to be an issue with the position (and limits) of the braze-on, not the derailer itself. Though if it worked I guess that would be an actual reason to go with a compact-specific derailer (since simply having a compact isn't really a reason!).
    Can you pass the test?
    Yield to Life.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,383
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd be interested in how this works out for you.
    BTW, my wife's bike is a 2003 5200 WSD and the modified hanger worked fine. I had to deepen the slot as far as I was comfortable to get the FD low enough. The rings are 49-39-28. The FD is Ultegra.

    Al

  7. #7
    semifreddo amartuerer 'nother's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Northern CA
    My Bikes
    several
    Posts
    4,599
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943
    I'd be interested in how this works out for you.
    OK...here's an update: I talked to a local Trek dealer and he informed me that Trek does make a "compact" FD bracket which (I assume) is deeper than standard. It's stamped with a "C" near the bolts that hold the bracket onto the frame. Evidently it's possible to obtain these from Trek but my guess is you'd have to go through an authorized dealer -- not something likely to be in any ol' shop.

    I don't have the bike near me to check out whether the current bracket is "C" or not; if it already is we will need to look into other options but if it's not the "C" we will order one and slap it on, hopefully it'll work out!
    Can you pass the test?
    Yield to Life.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,383
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, let us know how it turns out. I may order one.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 'nother
    OK...here's an update: I talked to a local Trek dealer and he informed me that Trek does make a "compact" FD bracket which (I assume) is deeper than standard. It's stamped with a "C" near the bolts that hold the bracket onto the frame. Evidently it's possible to obtain these from Trek but my guess is you'd have to go through an authorized dealer -- not something likely to be in any ol' shop.

    I don't have the bike near me to check out whether the current bracket is "C" or not; if it already is we will need to look into other options but if it's not the "C" we will order one and slap it on, hopefully it'll work out!
    I recently called my local Trek Superstore and they hadn't heard of this compact bracket. Any idea what the part number is? I also have an email in to Trek but haven't heard back yet (i'm not that patient so I'm trying this venue).

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    27,130
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_Joe
    I recently called my local Trek Superstore and they hadn't heard of this compact bracket. Any idea what the part number is? I also have an email in to Trek but haven't heard back yet (i'm not that patient so I'm trying this venue).
    Try calling Trek instead of e-mailing. I expect you will get much more timely info.

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Try calling Trek instead of e-mailing. I expect you will get much more timely info.
    I called three local Trek stores. None had heard of the part, one said they would call Trek. I have not heard back from the LBS and no email reply yet from Trek HQ. Do you know a phone number for Trek? Their web site only has an email contact (as far as I can tell).

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,852
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed a compact crank on a 2006 Trek 2100 with a braze on front derailler and had no problems getting the FD low enough to shift perfectly. I forget what width of a gap I had though. I usually aim for 2mm. If nothing else, my point is that a newer braze on bracket on a Trek that didn't come with a compact crank allowed me enough adjustment. If you are calling Trek and trying to get a replacement bracket, I'd just ask for a newer version which might work.

  13. #13
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
    I installed a compact crank on a 2006 Trek 2100 with a braze on front derailler and had no problems getting the FD low enough to shift perfectly. I forget what width of a gap I had though. I usually aim for 2mm. If nothing else, my point is that a newer braze on bracket on a Trek that didn't come with a compact crank allowed me enough adjustment. If you are calling Trek and trying to get a replacement bracket, I'd just ask for a newer version which might work.
    That's a good suggestion. I'll see if the local Trek stores have them in stock.

  14. #14
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joejack951 View Post
    I installed a compact crank on a 2006 Trek 2100 with a braze on front derailler and had no problems getting the FD low enough to shift perfectly. I forget what width of a gap I had though. I usually aim for 2mm. If nothing else, my point is that a newer braze on bracket on a Trek that didn't come with a compact crank allowed me enough adjustment. If you are calling Trek and trying to get a replacement bracket, I'd just ask for a newer version which might work.
    Well, the local Trek store called back and the part number is 253438 in case any one else needs it. The bad news is that they are back ordered.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
    Posts
    9,383
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_Joe View Post
    Well, the local Trek store called back and the part number is 253438 in case any one else needs it. The bad news is that they are back ordered.
    Thanks, I'll try for one of these. We have a Trek store nearby.

  16. #16
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    18
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Al1943 View Post
    Thanks, I'll try for one of these. We have a Trek store nearby.
    I finally got mine at the local Trek store and it is a bit of a dissapointment. It is the same bracket as the "non-compact" with the bottom of the slot in the bracket milled away to allow the front der to sit about 3-4 mm lower. I could have done that with a file and save $10 and two trips to the store.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •