Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is something wrong with my headset?

    The bike is a 2005 Lemond Croix de Fer.

    When I hold the front brake and rock the bike back and forth, there's a low 'clunk' sound that the headset emits. It's not very audible, but I can feel the vibrations in the frame. I've also felt it while riding, when pressing and releasing the front brake.

    Is it likely that the headset needs adjustment? Would that be something I could do myself, or does it require special tools?

    Thanks,
    -Gabe

  2. #2
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, your headset is too loose (it has some play in the bearings). An adjustment is what you need. If you have a threadless headset, then you need no tools other than allen wrenches. If you have a threaded headset, then you need cone wrenches (very thin metric wrenches). Chances are you have a threadless headset, since it's a high-end 2005 road bike.

    Go to parktool.com and look at the repair help section for a great guide on how to adjust your headset.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,979
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also assuming a "threadless" headset, the procedure is:

    1. Loosen the bolt(s) that clamp the stem to the steerer. Be sure thay are loose enough that the stem is free to turn. You cannot adjust the headset if the srem is still tight on the steerer.

    2. Gradually tighten the allan bolt located in the center of the steerer's top cap. Lock the front brake and try to rock the bike while tightening this bolt. Continue until the headset play completely disappears. Some headsets actually specify a preload of 8 to 20-inch pounds.

    3. Center the stem and tighten its clamp bolts firmly.

  4. #4
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loosen the bolts that clamp the stem to the steerer tube.

    Tighten the bolt on the stem clamp to remove the play in the headset.

    Make sure your stem is straight and tighten the clamp bolts.

  5. #5
    TreadHead MtbVA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    My Bikes
    '95 Klein Pulse, '98 Klein Pulse [Single Speed], Mosh (Gaint) 24" bmx cruiser
    Posts
    151
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    get it fixed ASAP!!!
    It will ovalize the head tube eventually if riden like this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MtbVA
    get it fixed ASAP!!!
    It will ovalize the head tube eventually if riden like this.
    I'm glad I asked!

    I'm going to try the adjustments specified by HillRider and supcom, and report back.

    Thanks!
    -Gabe

  7. #7
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRedner
    I'm glad I asked!

    I'm going to try the adjustments specified by HillRider and supcom, and report back.

    Thanks!
    -Gabe
    Do read that parktool page!!! You need to know how to feel when the adjustment is just right, and it can be a bit tricky if you haven't done it before.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did the following:

    1) Held the front brake and rocked the bike. Felt knocking.
    2) Loosened stem bolts until I could rotate the handlebars independantly of the fork. There was still some resistance when doing this, but it was free enough to rotate.
    3) Held the brake and rocked the bike. The knocking was gone (!)
    4) Tightened the bolt on top of the stem (about 1/6 revolution)
    5) Aligned the stem and tightened the stem bolts
    6) Held front brake, rocked bike. No knocking.

    Is there a way to check that I did not overtighten, or otherwise mess something up? I could also go back and follow the more involved parktool instructions if my simplistic method might cause problems.

  9. #9
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    Posts
    4,172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GRedner
    I did the following:

    1) Held the front brake and rocked the bike. Felt knocking.
    2) Loosened stem bolts until I could rotate the handlebars independantly of the fork. There was still some resistance when doing this, but it was free enough to rotate.
    3) Held the brake and rocked the bike. The knocking was gone (!)
    4) Tightened the bolt on top of the stem (about 1/6 revolution)
    5) Aligned the stem and tightened the stem bolts
    6) Held front brake, rocked bike. No knocking.

    Is there a way to check that I did not overtighten, or otherwise mess something up? I could also go back and follow the more involved parktool instructions if my simplistic method might cause problems.
    Your method is good. Well done! Basically, you've overtightened if it's much harder to rotate the stem/bars than it was before you did the adjustment (when it was loose).

    The optimal condition for any bearing on a bike is: Zero play, and as little friction as possible.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

  10. #10
    You need a new bike supcom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    5,434
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by moxfyre
    Your method is good. Well done! Basically, you've overtightened if it's much harder to rotate the stem/bars than it was before you did the adjustment (when it was loose).

    The optimal condition for any bearing on a bike is: Zero play, and as little friction as possible.
    +1

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When rotating the stem, I can now feel a slight rubbing - not really forceful resistance, but definitely a bit of vibration.

    I'm going to try loosening the top bolt a smidgen.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Brookline, MA
    Posts
    514
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to have worked! No knocking, and no more vibration when turning the handlebars.

    Thanks guys!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •