help changing derailleur cable on old Shimano STI dual shifters
I can't find any information on how to change a rear derailleur cable on my older shimano 600 STI shifters. Specifically, I can't figure out how to remove the cable end from the shifter and then get the new cable in. I've peeled off the Shimano600 emblem and removed the screw behind which allowed me to remove a silver cover that contained the spring. I can't figure out what to do next.
Please help, its sunday and I want to ride to work tomorrow.
Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Hase Kettweisel Tandem (redundent recumbent), Merin Bear Valley (The gopher).
It sounds to me like you're working way too hard at this.
1. Cycle the small shift lever repeatedly to be sure you are in the smallest cog. (Important)
2. Disconnect the cable from the derailleur and try to push it through the shifter. The cable end should pop right out a little window opposite where the cable exits to go to the derailleur.
'''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
RG's directions are very good but there is one thing to add. After you've:
1. Pushed the release (inner) lever a bunch of times to be sure the shifter is in the smallest cog position.
2. Disconnected the cable at the rear derailleur.
3. Pull the brake lever as if you are applying the brakes when you push the cable through the shifter.
Look at the lever from the right side of the bike and you should see the cable head as it exits the lever. You have to pull the brake lever to clear the cable exit hole.