Advertise on

User Tag List

Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: BB question

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)

    BB question

    I've got a 1970's Phillips steel road frame...

    Wondering what size BB these frames take, where I could get one (and have it installed (Boston Area)) , and how much $

  2. #2
    cyclist/gearhead/cycli... moxfyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    DC / Maryland suburbs
    My Bikes
    Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    The easiest thing to do is to measure the width of the BB shell (the part of the frame in which the BB sits). Use a steel ruler or calipers. If it's 68 mm, you have an English/ISO BB, 70 mm you have an Italian BB.

    The only other possibility is a French BB, but Phillips doesn't sound like a French brand name and nobody else used French BBs because, well, they suck

    If you don't want to do the work yourself, pretty much ANY LBS should stock square-taper ISO and Italian BBs in a variety of widths. It also matters what kind of cranks you have: are they Campagnolo or Ofmega (different form of square taper) or some Asian maker like Sugino, Suntour, Shimano (standard JIS taper). Lastly, since your BB is likely a cup-and-cone type, it's quite likely that the BB doesn't need to be replaced but merely overhauled and packed with new bearings. No guarantee, but you should ask the mechanic to check the bearings races before throwing it out.
    My bikes | Linux and Python stuff | Photo gallery

    Sheldon Brown, I miss you. Thanks for the advice, ideas, humor, and infectious enthusiasm for everything bikes...

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts