Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-21-06, 11:08 AM   #1
2_i 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
PowerLink Length

Is PowerLink length a concern? In using the PowerLinks, I noticed that they are longer, by 0.5-0.75mm, than other links. If you have a gauge for checking the chain wear, you can test it for yourself by testing a piece of the chain with and without a PowerLink.

Principally a longer link produces an increased load on the front of the link and onto preceding links and onto sprocket teeth, accelerating their wear. However, maybe one PowerLink per chain can be lived with. On the other hand, a chain out of PoweLinks should be a disaster. Still, when repairing or adjusting the chain one might end up with a couple or more PowerLinks in a chain. Any opinions, wisdom regarding the issue?
2_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 11:25 AM   #2
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_i
Is PowerLink length a concern? In using the PowerLinks, I noticed that they are longer, by 0.5-0.75mm, than other links. If you have a gauge for checking the chain wear, you can test it for yourself by testing a piece of the chain with and without a PowerLink.

Principally a longer link produces an increased load on the front of the link and onto preceding links and onto sprocket teeth, accelerating their wear. However, maybe one PowerLink per chain can be lived with. On the other hand, a chain out of PoweLinks should be a disaster. Still, when repairing or adjusting the chain one might end up with a couple or more PowerLinks in a chain. Any opinions, wisdom regarding the issue?
All links are 1/2" center-to-center of the rollers. That's the only length dimension that matters.

Sheldon "1/2 Inch Pitch" Brown
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|  There are 10 kinds of people in this world:                  |
|  Those who understand the binary system, and those who don't  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
Sheldon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 12:51 PM   #3
2_i 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
All links are 1/2" center-to-center of the rollers. That's the only length dimension that matters.

Sheldon "1/2 Inch Pitch" Brown
Code:
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
|  There are 10 kinds of people in this world:                  |
|  Those who understand the binary system, and those who don't  |
+---------------------------------------------------------------+
To eliminate ambiguity, I just compared measurements for pieces of chain with and without a PowerLink. I've done the measurements for two PowerLinks in my chain and have used the Park Tool CC-3 (or would that be CC-11?). In each case, the PowerLink was somewhere in the middle, NOT at the edge.
2_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 01:37 PM   #4
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_i
To eliminate ambiguity, I just compared measurements for pieces of chain with and without a PowerLink. I've done the measurements for two PowerLinks in my chain and have used the Park Tool CC-3 (or would that be CC-11?). In each case, the PowerLink was somewhere in the middle, NOT at the edge.
There is some variance from brand to brand as to the diameter of the rivets. If you use a PowerLink in a chain that is designed for fatter rivets, it will cause a slight mismatch in pitch.

Sheldon "What Kind Of Chain?" Brown
Code:
+--------------------------------------------------+
|  The less you bet, the more you lose if you win  |
|                       --Alan Rudolph (_Trixie_)  |
+--------------------------------------------------+
Sheldon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 02:32 PM   #5
2_i 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
There is some variance from brand to brand as to the diameter of the rivets. If you use a PowerLink in a chain that is designed for fatter rivets, it will cause a slight mismatch in pitch.

Sheldon "What Kind Of Chain?" Brown
Code:
+--------------------------------------------------+
|  The less you bet, the more you lose if you win  |
|                       --Alan Rudolph (_Trixie_)  |
+--------------------------------------------------+
The chain is Sram PC-59. One of the PowerLinks came with the chain, the other (gold 9-sp) was bought separately. The chain with its original PowerLink has 2.5k miles. The second PowerLink may have 1k miles. I might try this with a new PowerLink and new chain.
2_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 06:48 PM   #6
2_i 
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Michigan
Bikes: Trek 730, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M6R*2, Trek 830, Trek 720, Dahon HAT060, Dahon HT060,...
Posts: 1,581
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Well, I have now done measurements with a new chain and a new PowerLink and detect no difference between the new links. That points to wear advancing significantly faster for the PowerLink than for regular chain links.
2_i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-06, 06:57 PM   #7
fore
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 727
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_i
Any opinions, wisdom regarding the issue?
If you're replacing the chain at a normal interval, as you should be anyway, whatever extra wear you may find in the powerlink is more or less insignificant.

Don't worry about it. Just enjoy riding your bike. Too many people get caught up in the most minute of details and for some reason I tend to think they spend more time thinking about what's wrong (or what could go wrong) with their bike than they do enjoying it.

Use the powerlink, ride your bike, have a good time.
fore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-06, 08:41 AM   #8
simplify
ride, paint, ride
 
simplify's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: San Diego
Bikes: Cannondale R300 Caad2
Posts: 1,204
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2_i
Well, I have now done measurements with a new chain and a new PowerLink and detect no difference between the new links. That points to wear advancing significantly faster for the PowerLink than for regular chain links.
That's interesting, and I'm glad to know that. It's tempting to re-use these links when the chain is replaced, and now we know not to do that. I do carry some old ones in my seat bag for possible chain repair on a ride.
simplify is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.