Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Is it possible to replace a 3-speed with 7 or 8 speed internal hub?

    Planning on getting a bike (Cadillac L-3) that only comes with a Nexus Inter-3/roller brake. Would like to upgrade to a 7 or 8 speed internal hub. Haven't seen the bike yet to measure, but I fear that the frame might not be the requisite ?130mm? , and it's an aluminum frame, hence no cold setting. Assuming the frame is wide enough, is this possible? If not, what are my options? 7 sp derailleur?

    Thanks,
    Marty

  2. #2
    Senior Member marcusbandito's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Ann Arbor
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Wanga, Waterford RS, Gitane SS
    Posts
    275
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the bike has an internallly geared hub it most likely does not have a derailleur hanger on the frame, so that would not be an option. If the frame is spaced right, you would just have to get the new 7speed hub and have a wheels built up around it. Any bike shop sould be able to take care of that for you.

  3. #3
    Fossil Lurch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    My Bikes
    Fuji Club, Bianchi Bergamo, Fuji Suncrest
    Posts
    313
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My '68 Hercules with S-A 3-speed is about 125mm between the dropouts. That's narrower than the 7 and 8-speed Nexus hubs.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Retro Grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    St Peters, Missouri
    My Bikes
    Rans Enduro Sport, Hase Kettweisel Tandem, Merin Bear Valley beater bike
    Posts
    23,718
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't look like it's going to work to me. I just looked them up in my QBP catalogue. It says the 3-speed Nexus is 120mm over locknut and the 7-speed is either 127 or 130.

    If you don't have the bike yet, why don't you just look around for one that's equipped the way you want?

  5. #5
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,855
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by marmer
    Planning on getting a bike (Cadillac L-3) that only comes with a Nexus Inter-3/roller brake. Would like to upgrade to a 7 or 8 speed internal hub. Haven't seen the bike yet to measure, but I fear that the frame might not be the requisite ?130mm? , and it's an aluminum frame, hence no cold setting. Assuming the frame is wide enough, is this possible? If not, what are my options? 7 sp derailleur?

    Thanks,
    Marty
    Your options are limited with this bike. Not only is the dropout spacing too narrow to accomodate a 7 or 8 speed hub(of any make), but it has rear facing dropouts making use of a derailleur difficult or impossible even with an adaptor bracket. Futhermore, only an older road type derailleur hub would be narrow enough to fit.
    On to the next problem which is brakes. This frame has no bosses for cantis or V brakes, so your only option there would be a side pull caliper. Not impossible to do, but not a great option.
    All in all, if you need more gears and you really want a pedal forward bike, I think the Townie 8 would be a better choice for you.
    By the way, this is not a sales pitch as I sell Cadillac but not Electra.(See my response to your other post in the General Discussion Forum.)
    Dan Burkhart
    www.boomerbicycle.ca

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer (3-speed 1970), DaHon (1984 "Hon") folder, Bianchi Milano
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sturmey Archer/Sun Race 8 speed hubs are very narrow. They'll fit between drops designed for any other S-A hub.

  7. #7
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,855
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanb
    Sturmey Archer/Sun Race 8 speed hubs are very narrow. They'll fit between drops designed for any other S-A hub.

    Nope. sorry, that is incorrect. I have bikes with S-A 8 speed with drum brakes, and they are almost exactly the same width as a Nexus 8 with roller brake (About 132mm).According to Sturmey Archer's web site, the model with no brake is 124mm.
    Dan Burkhart
    www.boomerbicycle.ca

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Chicago IL
    My Bikes
    Schwinn Racer (3-speed 1970), DaHon (1984 "Hon") folder, Bianchi Milano
    Posts
    176
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure what model you have but according to Sheldon Brown the X-RF8 will fit as narrow as 118mm drops:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-hubs.html

  9. #9
    Senior member Dan Burkhart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Oakville Ontario
    Posts
    4,855
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jordanb
    I'm not sure what model you have but according to Sheldon Brown the X-RF8 will fit as narrow as 118mm drops:

    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/sturmey-archer-hubs.html
    Well, I certainly would not presume to argue with Sheldon on this, and I suppose it would be reasonable to use thinner lock nuts, but even so, I am pretty sure only the brakeless version could be narrowed down to 120mm.
    Dan

  10. #10
    Broom Wagon Fodder reverborama's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minnesota
    My Bikes
    Fuji Supreme; Fuji Royale; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx
    Posts
    1,168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This summer I saw a rod-braked Raleigh that had a 7-speed Shimano hub in it. He installed it when the original hub failed and said it made the bike WAY more rideable. And it didn't look horribly out of place. Of course I expect there will be some people spitting on him at the All British show this weekend...

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,410
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reverborama
    This summer I saw a rod-braked Raleigh that had a 7-speed Shimano hub in it. He installed it when the original hub failed and said it made the bike WAY more rideable. And it didn't look horribly out of place. Of course I expect there will be some people spitting on him at the All British show this weekend...
    If the Raleigh was a steel frame (and at that vintage, it couldn't be anything else) it could have been cold set to take the wider hub. The OP's Al frams can't be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •