Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-07-06, 06:09 PM   #1
skeeter
.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mobile home
Bikes:
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What to do with extra chain links?

What do you do with your extra drive Chain links?(Maybe make full chain from accumulation?)
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 06:11 PM   #2
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep 'em around in case I ever break one and need more. Mostly I get the same brand of chains (Nashbar/KMC 8-speed), so I suppose I could make a whole new one eventually
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 06:16 PM   #3
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I make key chains out of them.

Last edited by roadfix; 09-07-06 at 06:32 PM.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 06:25 PM   #4
Boss Moniker
It's an old photo
 
Boss Moniker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Entropia
Bikes: Cannondale R500, Specialized Hardrock
Posts: 774
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried making a chainwhip.. but the aluminum (whoops) stock I used was too thick to attach strongly and it broke.. over and over again. I'd try it if you have some 1/8" or 3/32" steel stock depending on the pitch of your chain, and a drill.. maybe some rivets or screws/nuts if you don't feel like messing with the ones on your chain.
Boss Moniker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 08:05 PM   #5
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Save up enough links and make a bracelet.
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 08:14 PM   #6
Namenda
.
 
Namenda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: "The Woo", MA
Bikes:
Posts: 4,830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fixer
I make key chains out of them.

Me, too. I give them away as gifts to bike-riding friends.
Namenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 08:34 PM   #7
OLDYELLR
My bikes became Vintage
 
OLDYELLR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Bikes:
Posts: 1,110
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just keep them. Can't bear to throw anything away that's not completely worn out or broken. Those links are brand new!
OLDYELLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 08:38 PM   #8
Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten
 
Sheldon Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Newtonville, Massachusetts
Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
Posts: 2,301
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
What do you do with your extra drive Chain links?(Maybe make full chain from accumulation?)
I've done that, but only for fixed-gear use.

You can make a nice fiddle toy by making a chain from two complete links. Makes a little flexible parallelogram.

Sheldon "Cheapskate" Brown
Code:
+--------------------------------------------------------+
|  There is no conclusive evidence of life after death.  |
|  But there is no evidence of any sort against it.      |
|  Soon enough you will  know, so why fret about it?     |
|                                 --Robert A. Heinlein   |
+--------------------------------------------------------+
Sheldon Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-06, 08:46 PM   #9
rm -rf
don't try this at home.
 
rm -rf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: N. KY
Bikes:
Posts: 3,698
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Let's see... What could I do with a few links...
rm -rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 07:03 AM   #10
skeeter
.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mobile home
Bikes:
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Moniker
I tried making a chainwhip.. but the aluminum (whoops) stock I used was too thick to attach strongly and it broke.. over and over again. I'd try it if you have some 1/8" or 3/32" steel stock depending on the pitch of your chain, and a drill.. maybe some rivets or screws/nuts if you don't feel like messing with the ones on your chain.
I made one with flatbar stock & attached a hook on the other end of the flat bar to hold the other end of the chain
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 07:07 AM   #11
skeeter
.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mobile home
Bikes:
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDYELLR
I just keep them. Can't bear to throw anything away that's not completely worn out or broken. Those links are brand new!
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 07:11 AM   #12
skeeter
.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mobile home
Bikes:
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
I've done that, but only for fixed-gear use.

You can make a nice fiddle toy by making a chain from two complete links. Makes a little flexible parallelogram.

Sheldon "Cheapskate" Brown
Code:
+--------------------------------------------------------+
|  There is no conclusive evidence of life after death.  |
|  But there is no evidence of any sort against it.      |
|  Soon enough you will  know, so why fret about it?     |
|                                 --Robert A. Heinlein   |
+--------------------------------------------------------+
will do that.

"the fiddler"
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 07:12 AM   #13
skeeter
.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mobile home
Bikes:
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rm -rf
Let's see... What could I do with a few links...
I have a jar full of them.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 07:13 AM   #14
skeeter
.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mobile home
Bikes:
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the ideas.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-06, 12:25 PM   #15
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,614
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter
What do you do with your extra drive Chain links?(Maybe make full chain from accumulation?)
I'm thinking about the durability of a chain put together with 20 Shimano hyperglide pins. It's not a happy thought. For that matter, would buying 20 hyperglide pins be any cheaper than buying a whole new chain?

About 5 years ago I moved from a 5 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom condo. I hauled several pick up truck loads of stuff, that I previously couldn't live without, to the dumpster at work. I've yet to miss any of that junk. Among it, I'm sure, were several sets of excess chain links. The bottom line is that you can either throw them away now or wait until you move or your junk overwhelms your living space to throw them away.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 04:06 AM   #16
skeeter
.
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: mobile home
Bikes:
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm thinking about the durability of a chain put together with 20 Shimano hyperglide pins. It's not a happy thought. For that matter, would buying 20 hyperglide pins be any cheaper than buying a whole new chain?

About 5 years ago I moved from a 5 bedroom house to a 2 bedroom condo. I hauled several pick up truck loads of stuff, that I previously couldn't live without, to the dumpster at work. I've yet to miss any of that junk. Among it, I'm sure, were several sets of excess chain links. The bottom line is that you can either throw them away now or wait until you move or your junk overwhelms your living space to throw them away.
Yes, i certainly know what you mean about "junk" in the trunk .
It got to the point to where my spring was sagging so i had to unload all that stuff in the nearest empty dumpster. She barely fit but after a few pounces all was good & i never looked back.
Yep,attachments are a funny thing.
skeeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 09:56 AM   #17
raverson
Senior Member
 
raverson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
Bikes:
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I save them in case I want to change gearing and need a longer chain.
raverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 10:04 AM   #18
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,565
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by raverson
I save them in case I want to change gearing and need a longer chain.
I'm sure you can get a little more creative than that!...
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 10:15 AM   #19
FlatFender
Senior Member
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Raleigh NC
Bikes:
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Key Rings here.
FlatFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 10:37 AM   #20
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Bikes:
Posts: 3,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
You can make a nice fiddle toy by making a chain from two complete links. Makes a little flexible parallelogram.
Haha, one of those is on my keyring. I play with it all the time... Nice for hanging you keys on a hook etc. as well.

The odd bits from other chains just kick around in my 'bike crap' drawer.
LóFarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 12:14 PM   #21
raverson
Senior Member
 
raverson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: beautiful Chehalis, Wa. 98532
Bikes:
Posts: 1,361
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fixer
I'm sure you can get a little more creative than that!...
Nope. As I get older, the gears get lower, the chain gets longer. Pacing myself to ride for 50 more years.
raverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 02:33 PM   #22
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
...You can make a nice fiddle toy by making a chain from two complete links. Makes a little flexible parallelogram.
I have a couple of those at my desk at work - like a security blanket I fiddle with it when I'm on the phone or when I'm just plain thinking (thinking about an after work ride, no doubt).
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 02:36 PM   #23
Paniolo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: N Dallas, TX
Bikes:
Posts: 830
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I saw a bottle opener made out of extra links. If you have a welder you could weld them into odd shapes, make little figures out of them etc.
Paniolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 07:17 PM   #24
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paniolo
I think I saw a bottle opener made out of extra links. If you have a welder you could weld them into odd shapes, make little figures out of them etc.
My sister got me one of the bike parts bottle openers for my birthday, and it's great... one of the strongest hand-held openers I've seen http://www.uncommongoods.com/item/item.jsp?itemId=10144

moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-06, 07:25 PM   #25
tomacropod
ot.net slave
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Canberra, Australia
Bikes: Salsa mtb * 3, Intense mtb * 1, Abeni SS rd * 1, Salsa road/touring * 2, Trek Damn one * 1, Vintage/projects * many
Posts: 571
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
a trials rider (short chainstays, very compact drivetrain) can buy three chains and get the fourth free - from the extra links. When using mtb chains anyway.

- Joel
tomacropod is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.