Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rebuild or replace wheel?

    Hello all, new guy here, pretty new to serious riding. I bought my first road bike about 6 months ago, a Fuji Newest 2.0. It was fine for the first 300 miles or so, but now I can't seem to ride 50 miles without breaking another spoke in the rear wheel. I've had two replaced so far and broke another one last weekend on a flat piece of road, so it's not like I was jumping off curbs on it.

    For some background, I weigh around 210 and ride pretty hard, and the wheels are Alex R500 (think that's right), 32 spokes, 700x23c Armadillo tires, as we love the thorns in Arizona. This spoke is on the gearing side of the wheel, I forget what side the other two were on, but all three have been in the rear wheel.

    I'm doing a triathlon in a month, so I don't want to just keep replacing spokes one at a time, and end up breaking down halfway through the course. I just want this fixed for good. Should I have my bike shop rebuild the wheel with new spokes all around? Or is this just typically a lousy wheel and should be replaced by something sturdier? I'd love to keep it under $100.

    I know nothing about this type of problem, I never ran into it on my commuter mountain bike. Thanks.

  2. #2
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVrider
    Hello all, new guy here, pretty new to serious riding. I bought my first road bike about 6 months ago, a Fuji Newest 2.0. It was fine for the first 300 miles or so, but now I can't seem to ride 50 miles without breaking another spoke in the rear wheel. I've had two replaced so far and broke another one last weekend on a flat piece of road, so it's not like I was jumping off curbs on it.

    For some background, I weigh around 210 and ride pretty hard, and the wheels are Alex R500 (think that's right), 32 spokes, 700x23c Armadillo tires, as we love the thorns in Arizona. This spoke is on the gearing side of the wheel, I forget what side the other two were on, but all three have been in the rear wheel.

    I'm doing a triathlon in a month, so I don't want to just keep replacing spokes one at a time, and end up breaking down halfway through the course. I just want this fixed for good. Should I have my bike shop rebuild the wheel with new spokes all around? Or is this just typically a lousy wheel and should be replaced by something sturdier? I'd love to keep it under $100.
    Isn't your bike under warranty? Take it back to the shop!

    Sheldon "Spokes Shouldn't Break" Brown
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  3. #3
    feros ferio John E's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    www.ci.encinitas.ca.us
    My Bikes
    1959 Capo; 1980 Peugeot PKN-10; 1981 Bianchi; 1988 Schwinn KOM-10;
    Posts
    15,065
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    Isn't your bike under warranty? Take it back to the shop!

    Sheldon "Spokes Shouldn't Break" Brown
    Concur. That wheel is far too new to be breaking spokes. Were they originally tensioned properly? A 36-spoke wheel would theoretically be a bit stronger, but 32 spokes is pretty standard these days.
    "Early to bed, early to rise. Work like hell, and advertise." -- George Stahlman
    Capo [dschaw'-poe]: 1959 Modell Campagnolo, S/N 40324; 1960 Sieger, S/N 42624
    Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
    Bianchi: 1981 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
    Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get it retensioned. I weigh 230 and I've had to get new wheels retensioned 2 or 3 times in the first 1000km.

  5. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys. Retensioning may be the ticket. I guess Sheldon is right about the warranty, I called the shop up and I'm bringing it in tomorrow. They said they'd take care of whatever needs to be done.

  6. #6
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,104
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVrider
    Thanks guys. Retensioning may be the ticket. I guess Sheldon is right about the warranty, I called the shop up and I'm bringing it in tomorrow. They said they'd take care of whatever needs to be done.
    Make sure they stress-relieve it. If they don't know what you're talking about, read about it on Sheldon's page and do it yourself with both wheels after they're done working on the messed up one.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •