Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Bearing preload

  1. #1
    Gammal cyklist Reynolds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    My Bikes
    1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaņa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility
    Posts
    4,372
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Bearing preload

    Jobst Brandt recommends preloading the adjustable bearings. How much and how do you measure it? Only by feeling? I always set my bearings to roll as free as possible without play. Seems I was wrong. Any opinions?

  2. #2
    Listen to me powers2b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Lexus Texas
    Posts
    2,791
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bollocks,
    Free with no play is the way
    Quote Originally Posted by SBFixed View Post
    You're a dick, if your bike gets stolen I hope that you don't get a thread.

  3. #3
    Has opinion, will express
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    12,660
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reynolds
    Jobst Brandt recommends preloading the adjustable bearings. How much and how do you measure it? Only by feeling? I always set my bearings to roll as free as possible without play. Seems I was wrong. Any opinions?
    Free with no play on BB, and solid wheel axles. With QR axles, you need to have the very slightest play because the action of closing the QR tightens the preload on the bearings. Practise on your wheels. If you still have play after fitting them to the bike and doing up the QR, they were too loose.

    With headsets, the test is more whether there is "indexing" or a notchiness when the handlebars are turned, or whether there is movement felt when you apply the front brake. To test the latter, put on the brake, wrap your free hand around the top headset cup and rock the bike back and forth... if there is looseness, you will feel it in that hand. Ideal adjustment is in between those two tactile measurements.

    Jobst talks from a very engineering perspective, and IIRC, his preload suggestions aim to get the balls or rollers doing what they are supposed to do from the get-go. But it does become a balancing act, and to me, accurately measuring preload is more trouble that it's worth.

  4. #4
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,030
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rowan
    Free with no play on BB, and solid wheel axles. With QR axles, you need to have the very slightest play because the action of closing the QR tightens the preload on the bearings. Practise on your wheels. If you still have play after fitting them to the bike and doing up the QR, they were too loose.
    +1

    I actually get the hubs as close as I can, then between hub maintenance cycles, I actually adjust the QR tension +/- 1/16 of a turn to get that perfect balance. I'm always making sure the QR is tight enough, but you do have some wiggle room in how tight it is.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    5,426
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When in doubt, make them a little tight, as they break in, they can only get loose.

    In any properly functioning bearing assembly, all the bearing contact the cone/race at all times, distributing the load and shock loads evenly. If the assembly is loose, then all the load is taken by one or a few bearings which concentrates the forces and leads to premature wear.
    Il faut de l'audace, encore de l'audace, toujours de l'audace

    1980 3Rensho-- 1975 Raleigh Sprite 3spd
    1990s Raleigh M20 MTB--2007 Windsor Hour (track)
    1988 Ducati 750 F1

  6. #6
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,030
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by San Rensho
    When in doubt, make them a little tight, as they break in, they can only get loose.
    -1

    It's easy enough to make them just right, but too tight is worse than too loose. "Break in" for overtightened bearings is just premature wear.

  7. #7
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,292
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by waterrockets
    -1

    It's easy enough to make them just right, but too tight is worse than too loose. "Break in" for overtightened bearings is just premature wear.
    +1 to this
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •