Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-22-06, 01:07 PM   #1
mikemck
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How to go from threadless to threaded?

I have a GT Outpost, AL frame, 1 1/8 steerer, but I am not sure if it's threaded or threadless.
Can someone tell me how to determine which it is?

Anyway, I am looking for suspension fork for this bike, and depending on what I find on craigslist or ebay, I might need to go threaded or threadless.

What I am asking is, how hard is is change from threaded to threadless or vice versa?

TIA
mikemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 01:11 PM   #2
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze
 
I_bRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Corbyville Ontario
Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
your fork is gonna be threadless

is there a nut on your steer tube underneath your stem? Most likely your bike is already threadless as well.
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 01:15 PM   #3
Cynikal
Team Beer
 
Cynikal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Sacramento CA
Bikes: Too Many
Posts: 5,934
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If you have a treadless bike odds are you cannot go to a threaded fork. 98% of threaded forks are 1 inch and 98% of threadless forks are 1 1/8. The remaining 2% from either catagory are too hard to find to even consider.
Cynikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 01:16 PM   #4
mikemck
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, there is a nut under the stem. The stem on the GT looks basically the same as my Raleigh SC30, which is a threaded steerer, or so the Raleigh specs say.

They both look exactly the same, externally anyway.
mikemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 01:47 PM   #5
I_bRAD
Call me The Breeze
 
I_bRAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Corbyville Ontario
Bikes: 2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.
Posts: 3,699
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like Cynical says... you're gonna have a tough time finding a 1.125 threaded fork.

You could always convert it, but that would mean in addition to your fork, you'd need a new stem and headset.
I_bRAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 04:02 PM   #6
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.
Posts: 26,908
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Sometimes one measurement is worth a thousand guesses. Take off whatever you have to remove and measure your fork's steerer tube outer diameter. If you don't have a caliper, snug a crescent wrench around it and measure the distance between the jaws. Since the only logical choices are 1 inch and 1 1/8 inches, you don't have to be super accurate.

If it's really 1 1/8", you're golden. In addition to your suspension fork you need to buy a new threadless headset and a new stem. If it's 1", you can probably find a suspension fork that will fit it but don't expect much from it.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-06, 05:50 PM   #7
mikemck
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 39
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ah, I think the light is beginning to shine through for me.

So basically, my GT Outpost almost surely uses a threadless steerer, but my Raleigh SC30 is some kind of anachronism in that it uses a threaded steerer.
So, if I ever want to change out the RST 781-CL suspension fork I will have to also change to a threadless headset?

I'll try to take off the forks of the GT Outpost and measure them, but having never removed forks before, it might take awhile. I'm sure it's an 1 1/8", as I have an older GT Outpost cro-moly frame that is definitely 1".
Basically just a parts bike, but it sure did ride great.
mikemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 05:25 AM   #8
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Bikes:
Posts: 3,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trust me, you don't want to buy a threaded suspension fork.
Threaded stuff is completely obsolete now except on the lowest of low end bikes (with few exceptions like some track bikes). Any threaded suspension fork you find will more than likely be old and beaten to death by the previous owner or crappy to begin with, probably both.

Most likely, your headset, stem and fork are t-less anyway. Google image search "threadless stem" and "quill stem" and you'll see which you have.
LóFarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-06, 05:27 AM   #9
LóFarkas
LF for the accentdeprived
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Budapest, Hungary
Bikes:
Posts: 3,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynikal
If you have a treadless bike odds are you cannot go to a threaded fork. 98% of threaded forks are 1 inch and 98% of threadless forks are 1 1/8. The remaining 2% from either catagory are too hard to find to even consider.
1" threadless fork (road) is not hard to find at all. I have one and know about many others. Finding a HS was very easy, too. You're probably right about the 1 1/8 threaded, though.
LóFarkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 AM.