Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-06, 01:21 AM   #1
tansc
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 54
Cloth rim tape

Hiya

I just bought a roll of schwalbe cloth rim tape. The guy at the shop said one roll should be used for 1 bike. But after going one round around the wheel, i still have enough tape for a 2nd round. Should I double layer it?

Oh another thing, it doesnt have holes for the valve. Should i just start and end at opposite ends of the valve hole?

Cheers
Sing
tansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 04:21 AM   #2
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,363
I'm thinking that if you double layer the rim tape you'll have a lot more difficulty installing your tires. Save the excess for another wheel.

I used to cut valve holes in rim tape but today I just start and end adjacent to the rims valve hole. I've yet to have a problem that I could attribute to doing it that way.
Retro Grouch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 05:21 AM   #3
Bobby Lex
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 1,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by tansc
Hiya

I just bought a roll of schwalbe cloth rim tape. The guy at the shop said one roll should be used for 1 bike. But after going one round around the wheel, i still have enough tape for a 2nd round. Should I double layer it?

Oh another thing, it doesnt have holes for the valve. Should i just start and end at opposite ends of the valve hole?

Cheers
Sing
one roll = one bike

one bike = 2 wheels (save the excess for your other wheel)

Shouldn't be too hard to cut or punch a hole for the valve stem.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 10:20 AM   #4
waterrockets 
Making a kilometer blurry
 
waterrockets's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Austin (near TX)
Bikes: rkwaki's porn collection
Posts: 26,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I'm thinking that if you double layer the rim tape you'll have a lot more difficulty installing your tires. Save the excess for another wheel.

I used to cut valve holes in rim tape but today I just start and end adjacent to the rims valve hole. I've yet to have a problem that I could attribute to doing it that way.
That's good to know. My concern would have been that not overlapping would cause slippage at some point down the road, but that's a perception not based on experience.
waterrockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 10:23 AM   #5
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterrockets
That's good to know. My concern would have been that not overlapping would cause slippage at some point down the road, but that's a perception not based on experience.
The pressure of an inflated tire, combined with the adhesive on the tape, is more than enough to prevent the tape from slipping.
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 07:08 PM   #6
NRRider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 685
^^, except VERY IMPORTANT to get the correct width tape. Even with the adhesive and tire pressure the tape can slip if it's too narrow. Should cover flange to flange (or rim side to rim side). Learned the hard way....
NRRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-06, 08:14 PM   #7
bykerouac
I Fold
 
bykerouac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Bikes:
Posts: 269
I've had some slippage with Velox tapes, but perhaps this was brought about by riding in wet conditions as the adhesive lost a bit of its sticking power. It might be best to have at least two inches of overlap, and cut the valve hole in the overlap area, so as to 'hold' the tape in place a bit.
bykerouac is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:20 PM.