Okay, so this morning my Mavic MA3 rear rim cracked at a spoke eyelet. This wheel has been nothing but trouble, 8 or so broken spokes, had to retension it a couple of months ago (which I thought had solved the problems for good), now it's done for...
So, I need to figure out a cheap but tough replacement wheelset. I'm going to replace the front wheel as well because I've heard such bad reports about the MA3s from others as well. I'm trying to keep the total price low. I'm also trying to avoid Mavic in general!!!
* 36H Alex Adventurer rims ($46/pair) with Shimano Deore M475 disc hubs ($42/pair) + about $40 for spokes - I could upgrade to LX non-disc hubs for about $20 more... any thoughts on that??
* 36H Alex DM18 rims ($40/pair) with Shimano Deore M475 disc hubs ($42/pair) - The DM18 rims are heavier but cheaper than the Adventurers... how do they compare?
* Pre-built 36H Sun CR18 rims with Shimano Alivio 8/9 speed hubs (only $80 total) - Claimed to be hand built by the seller: http://shop.greatdealsonbikes.com/me...tegory_Code=HY
* Pre-built Sun CR18 rims with 32H Deore non-disc hubs and DT spokes ($120/pair)
* Pre-built Sun WTB XC rims with 32H Deore non-disc hubs and DT spokes ($120/pair)
Any thoughts on what I should choose, or where I should choose to spend more money? Any reason *not* to use disc hubs? I know they add a bit of dish to the front wheel, but that doesn't seem to be a huge issue.
The $80 Sun CR18 with Alivio hubs seems to be an awfully good deal, but I dunno about those cheap hubs. Then again, I've never had any problems with cheap hubs.