Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-20-06, 08:46 AM   #1
well biked 
biked well
Thread Starter
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Anyone used a SRAM Powerlink with a KMC chain (9sp.)?

I've used SRAM chains almost exclusively the last few years, mostly because of the ease of the Powerlink and also because, based on my experience, SRAM chains seem to last a little longer than Shimano chains. But in shopping for a new chain, I noticed the 9 speed KMC at Nashbar is $14.95 (plus I need some other stuff from Nashbar right now and they don't carry any other 9 speed chains), so I was wondering: can the SRAM Powerlink Gold (9 speed) be used with a 9 speed KMC chain? It seems like I've heard of using Powerlinks with Shimano chains, but what about KMC?
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 09:13 AM   #2
dubes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have a KMC chain (I think from JensonUSA?) that came with its own version of Powerlinks. Could be the Nashbar chain already has them, too?
dubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 09:21 AM   #3
well biked 
biked well
Thread Starter
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubes
I have a KMC chain (I think from JensonUSA?) that came with its own version of Powerlinks. Could be the Nashbar chain already has them, too?
The connector link I've seen on KMC chains is a one-time use only link, to be used when you first assemble the chain. But I've never used a 9 speed KMC chain, so I don't know.........Does the one you're talking about have a re-usable connector link?
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 09:38 AM   #4
dubes
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NY, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 177
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A fair question. I rightfully don't know, since I haven't used the chain yet (it's in my spare equipment pile). I'll check tonight after work to see what, if anything, the instructions say about re-using the connector.
dubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 09:40 AM   #5
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked
I've used SRAM chains almost exclusively the last few years, mostly because of the ease of the Powerlink and also because, based on my experience, SRAM chains seem to last a little longer than Shimano chains. But in shopping for a new chain, I noticed the 9 speed KMC at Nashbar is $14.95 (plus I need some other stuff from Nashbar right now and they don't carry any other 9 speed chains), so I was wondering: can the SRAM Powerlink Gold (9 speed) be used with a 9 speed KMC chain? It seems like I've heard of using Powerlinks with Shimano chains, but what about KMC?
The Nashbar/KMC 9-speed chains work excellently, and they come with a powerlink that's almost identical to the SRAM model. I suppose you could use an SRAM link if you wanted, but there's not much reason to since the KMC powerlink works great.

I know the KMC quick-links are single-use-only in theory, but in practice I have taken them on and off many times with no problems to report.
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 10:19 AM   #6
well biked 
biked well
Thread Starter
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxfyre
The Nashbar/KMC 9-speed chains work excellently, and they come with a powerlink that's almost identical to the SRAM model. I suppose you could use an SRAM link if you wanted, but there's not much reason to since the KMC powerlink works great.

I know the KMC quick-links are single-use-only in theory, but in practice I have taken them on and off many times with no problems to report.
That's good to know, then. You're saying the KMC connector can be connected and disconnected without a chain tool? I've used KMC chains on older bikes, but I honestly don't remember exactly how the connector worked on them.
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 10:25 AM   #7
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked
That's good to know, then. You're saying the KMC connector can be connected and disconnected without a chain tool? I've used KMC chains on older bikes, but I honestly don't remember exactly how the connector worked on them.
Yeah, the newer connectors look *just like* the SRAM connectors... you can connect and reconnect 'em by hand. I'm not sure why they are specified as single use only. They are like this:


The older KMC connectors were like this, and they were almost impossible to get apart once you had put them together:


According to KMC's web site, the old ones are still available for "production line use". I guess that means for OEMs putting stock bikes together. But if you buy the KMC chains from Nashbar, you'll get the nice new-style connector.
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 10:36 AM   #8
well biked 
biked well
Thread Starter
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Well that's it then! And yeah, the lower one is the type I had seen on KMC chains before. I do kind of wonder if the chains I'm talking about at Nashbar have that nice new type of connector (it's actually called a "Nashbar chain by KMC"). I'm gonna order it and check it out, thanks-

Here's a link to the chain I'm talking about: http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...at%3A%20Chains
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 10:38 AM   #9
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked
Well that's it then! And yeah, the lower one is the type I had seen on KMC chains before. I do kind of wonder if the chains I'm talking about at Nashbar have that nice new type of connector (it's actually called a "Nashbar chain by KMC"). I'm gonna order it and check it out, thanks-
Yes, the Nashbar chains do have the new type of connector, don't worry. I've got 7, 7/8, and 9-speed chains from them and they all have the new connector.
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 10:48 AM   #10
well biked 
biked well
Thread Starter
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxfyre
Yes, the Nashbar chains do have the new type of connector, don't worry. I've got 7, 7/8, and 9-speed chains from them and they all have the new connector.
Excellent, thanks-
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-06, 06:36 PM   #11
JanMM
rebmeM roineS
 
JanMM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: In Central IN
Bikes: RANS V3, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer
Posts: 13,517
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
I have a Nashbar/KMC tandem/recumbent chain on my bent. (current price $8.95!)
The link is not as easy to use as the SRAM links so I got a Park masterlink tool. Problem solved. Chain works well.
JanMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 06:51 AM   #12
nathanb74
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: East Sussex, UK
Bikes:
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a KMC Z9000 chain with a KMC missing link on my 9 speed training bike. Have taken the link apart over a dozen times now and no problems with it with I re-install it. Still has a distinctive ock when re-installing. Have just received the new KMC X10-93 10 speed chain for my new bike I'm building. I know KMC now so don't see the need to change brands for now.
nathanb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 08:38 PM   #13
Kinetikx
Eater of carbs
 
Kinetikx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Daytona Beach
Bikes: 1989 Trek 330
Posts: 215
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't want to rain on the parade here, but I just bought a Nashbar (KMC) 7 speed chain (stock number NS-CCH) two weeks ago from Nashbar and it had the old style connector. It was on sale so it could have been old stock- and most likely that's the case, but I figured I would give a quick heads-up.
Kinetikx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-06, 09:47 PM   #14
fogrider
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: fogtown...san francisco
Bikes: Ron Cooper, Time VXSR, rock lobster, rock lobster, serotta, ritchey, kestrel, paramount
Posts: 2,276
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
nashbar had their recubent 9 speed KMC chains on sale for 14.99, I bought a few...it the same as the regular 9 speed chain, but twice as long, which means two chains. it came with one connector, but at that price, I can just buy a connector for 5 bucks and the chain has been fine.
fogrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 09:41 AM   #15
well biked 
biked well
Thread Starter
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Just to confirm: I just received the 9 speed Nashbar chain (by KMC), and it indeed has the new style connector link like Moxfyre posted earlier in the thread (looks pretty much just like a SRAM powerlink, I wonder if KMC pays SRAM a licensing fee or something for the use of a presumably patented design, or if maybe the Powerlink patent has expired?). Not the prettiest chain in the world, but that wasn't a concern. I'm curious as to the length of service I end up getting from it; if it's good, I think I just converted from SRAM-
well biked is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 10:10 AM   #16
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked
Just to confirm: I just received the 9 speed Nashbar chain (by KMC), and it indeed has the new style connector link like Moxfyre posted earlier in the thread (looks pretty much just like a SRAM powerlink, I wonder if KMC pays SRAM a licensing fee or something for the use of a presumably patented design, or if maybe the Powerlink patent has expired?). Not the prettiest chain in the world, but that wasn't a concern. I'm curious as to the length of service I end up getting from it; if it's good, I think I just converted from SRAM-
Yeah, I was wondering about that too, whether they licensed the patent or it's not patented or what... The finish is definitely plain which makes it hard to see dirt sometimes, but service life has been good for me. I've pretty much converted to the KMC chains as a result
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-06, 10:13 AM   #17
barba
Senior Member
 
barba's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 4,083
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Good info. Thanks all, I had been wondering about the Nashbar KMCs.
barba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:06 PM.