Rear deraileur adjustment
I have the cable installed and ready to start! a few questions,
1) what cog and chain ring does the chain belong on initialialy?
2) position of shift lever?
3) how much tension on the cable before tightening the cable nut?
I just had it adjusted by my LBS, but had to do some work on the shifter. The limit adjustments should be ok
1. Derailleur has to be in whichever cog it naturally goes to when the cable is disconnected. Usually that's the smallest.
2. The shifter has to be in the position that corresponds to that cog.
3. The cable has to be pulled taut but not real tight. I find it easier to use a needlenose pliers to tension it. After tightening the anchor bolt you can use the barrel adjuster as necessary to fin tune the cable tension.
4. IMPORTANT. If your rear derailleur was working properly before you disconnected the cable, messing with it's limit screws is never necessary.
Would this procedure also apply to fixing the cables on the front derailluer for the first time ?
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I am building a bike and will be be attaching the cables soon.
Originally Posted by snhrider
If you look up the Park tool instructions which, by the way, I recommend; be sure to do them in order. It's important to have the front derailleur positioned properly and the low limit screw adjusted before you start messing with the cable tension.