Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    mavic ellipse axle axle replacement

    Hey everyone,

    I recently snapped the axle on my rear wheel. It's on a mavic ellipse wheelset - while I'm waiting for the new one to come in I've been trying to figure out how to get the axle out. It's got some sort of non-standard adjustable bearings. I managed to pull off the 2 stop bushings but I'm not sure how to get the rest apart. Any ideas?

    thanks,

    Ben

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uidzer0
    Hey everyone,

    I recently snapped the axle on my rear wheel. It's on a mavic ellipse wheelset - while I'm waiting for the new one to come in I've been trying to figure out how to get the axle out. It's got some sort of non-standard adjustable bearings. I managed to pull off the 2 stop bushings but I'm not sure how to get the rest apart. Any ideas?

    thanks,

    Ben
    1.2 REPLACING AXLES AND BEARINGS
    Follow the procedures below to remove and refit axles and bearings for:
    • Front and rear Ellipse wheels
    • Front Cosmic Carbone SL wheels
    Tools needed
    • 1 x 5 mm Allen wrench
    • 1 hub wrench M40123
    • Bearing press kit M40373
    • Bearing press kit M40120 (Cosmic Carbone SL)
    Removing:
    1. Remove the fork support nut on the adjustment nut side. This is clipped to the axle end;
    2. Place the 5 mm Allen wrench into the end of the axle, at the opposite side to the adjustment nut;
    3. Whilst maintaining the adjustment nut using the hub wrench M40123, unscrew the axle by turning the 5 mm Allen wrench counter-clockwise;
    4. Remove the axle;
    5. Use the bearing press kit to remove the bearings.
    3 4 5
    Refitting:
    1. Use the bearing press kit to fit the new bearings:
    - M40373: for front and rear Ellipse wheels
    - M40119: for front Cosmic Carbone SL wheels
    2. Introduce the axle at the «C» side of the “Mavic” inscription on the hub label;
    3. Place the adjustment nut on the axle and keep it in place using the hub wrench M40123;
    4. Place the 5 mm Allen wrench into the axle at the opposite side to the adjustment nut and turn it clockwise;
    5. Continue screwing until it touches the bearing and unscrew it _ a turn (except for Ellipse wheels);
    6. Fit the wheel into the frame or fork, tighten the fixing nuts (torque: 40 Nm max) for Ellipse wheels, or the quick release skewer for Cosmic Carbone SL wheels, and
    adjust bearing play using the hub wrench M40123 (see procedure page 18).

    This is from the Mavic dealer site. I'm sorry if it's not much help wihout the pictures. It's all I could get though.
    Last edited by Pete Hamer; 11-30-06 at 02:28 PM.
    It's not rocket surgery.

  3. #3
    Senior Member CafeRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    411
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple rule of bicycle mechanics....... If you cant figure it out on your own by looking at it and its expensive take it to a shop.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer
    Simple rule of bicycle mechanics....... If you cant figure it out on your own by looking at it and its expensive take it to a shop.
    Or take a class at a bike shop and learn to do it. Here is a link to the list of Park Tool Schools providers in the MPLS area.

    http://www.parktool.com/wheretobuy/l...mageField2.y=0
    It's not rocket surgery.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Hamer
    1.2 REPLACING AXLES AND BEARINGS
    Follow the procedures below to remove and refit axles and bearings for:
    Front and rear Ellipse wheels
    Front Cosmic Carbone SL wheels
    Tools needed
    1 x 5 mm Allen wrench
    1 hub wrench M40123
    Bearing press kit M40373
    Bearing press kit M40120 (Cosmic Carbone SL)
    Removing:
    1. Remove the fork support nut on the adjustment nut side. This is clipped to the axle end;
    2. Place the 5 mm Allen wrench into the end of the axle, at the opposite side to the adjustment nut;
    3. Whilst maintaining the adjustment nut using the hub wrench M40123, unscrew the axle by turning the 5 mm Allen wrench counter-clockwise;
    4. Remove the axle;
    5. Use the bearing press kit to remove the bearings.
    3 4 5
    Refitting:
    1. Use the bearing press kit to fit the new bearings:
    - M40373: for front and rear Ellipse wheels
    - M40119: for front Cosmic Carbone SL wheels
    2. Introduce the axle at the C side of the Mavic inscription on the hub label;
    3. Place the adjustment nut on the axle and keep it in place using the hub wrench M40123;
    4. Place the 5 mm Allen wrench into the axle at the opposite side to the adjustment nut and turn it clockwise;
    5. Continue screwing until it touches the bearing and unscrew it _ a turn (except for Ellipse wheels);
    6. Fit the wheel into the frame or fork, tighten the fixing nuts (torque: 40 Nm max) for Ellipse wheels, or the quick release skewer for Cosmic Carbone SL wheels, and
    adjust bearing play using the hub wrench M40123 (see procedure page 18).

    This is from the Mavic dealer site. I'm sorry if it's not much help wihout the pictures. It's all I could get though.
    This is great! thanks a lot. I went over to the site but didn't find this information,

    thanks again!

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CafeRacer
    Simple rule of bicycle mechanics....... If you cant figure it out on your own by looking at it and its expensive take it to a shop.

    I'd say the simple rule of bicycle mechanics is that _it's easy_. Doing it properly the first time only takes asking the right people, as seen above.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uidzer0
    This is great! thanks a lot. I went over to the site but didn't find this information,

    thanks again!
    It's from the dealer only section. I'm not sure why Mavic doesn't make it available to everyone. Anyway, I order all their hubs tools for pressing bearings today so if you ever need someone to press bearings or want to get a printed copy of the instructions with a giagram let me know. I'm at excelcycle in Excelsior, MN. www.excelcycle.com
    It's not rocket surgery.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    415
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aha! I think I figured out how to post the diagram.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    It's not rocket surgery.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis, MN
    Posts
    12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whoa nice! thanks!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •