Originally Posted by uidzer0
I recently snapped the axle on my rear wheel. It's on a mavic ellipse wheelset - while I'm waiting for the new one to come in I've been trying to figure out how to get the axle out. It's got some sort of non-standard adjustable bearings. I managed to pull off the 2 stop bushings but I'm not sure how to get the rest apart. Any ideas?
1.2 REPLACING AXLES AND BEARINGS
Follow the procedures below to remove and refit axles and bearings for:
• Front and rear Ellipse wheels
• Front Cosmic Carbone SL wheels
• 1 x 5 mm Allen wrench
• 1 hub wrench M40123
• Bearing press kit M40373
• Bearing press kit M40120 (Cosmic Carbone SL)
1. Remove the fork support nut on the adjustment nut side. This is clipped to the axle end;
2. Place the 5 mm Allen wrench into the end of the axle, at the opposite side to the adjustment nut;
3. Whilst maintaining the adjustment nut using the hub wrench M40123, unscrew the axle by turning the 5 mm Allen wrench counter-clockwise;
4. Remove the axle;
5. Use the bearing press kit to remove the bearings.
3 4 5
1. Use the bearing press kit to fit the new bearings:
- M40373: for front and rear Ellipse wheels
- M40119: for front Cosmic Carbone SL wheels
2. Introduce the axle at the «C» side of the “Mavic” inscription on the hub label;
3. Place the adjustment nut on the axle and keep it in place using the hub wrench M40123;
4. Place the 5 mm Allen wrench into the axle at the opposite side to the adjustment nut and turn it clockwise;
5. Continue screwing until it touches the bearing and unscrew it _ a turn (except for Ellipse wheels);
6. Fit the wheel into the frame or fork, tighten the fixing nuts (torque: 40 Nm max) for Ellipse wheels, or the quick release skewer for Cosmic Carbone SL wheels, and
adjust bearing play using the hub wrench M40123 (see procedure page 18).
This is from the Mavic dealer site. I'm sorry if it's not much help wihout the pictures. It's all I could get though.