Best tool kit?
I am going to be building a bike for the first time this winter. Can you please recommend a good tool kit to complete the build? If a tool kit is not necessary, do you have any suggestions on specific tools?
FYI: I am building up a 2006 Felt F3c with DuraAce. The wheel set is still undecided. Let me know if you have any suggestions for $400 range.
Thank you in advance for your help.
the best quality Allen keys you can afford. As soon as they become even slightly worn, bin them.
Two V good quality adjustable spanners
Cheap screwdrivers will do.
Call me The Breeze
My dad has the best tool kit, he's a TV repairman.
I prefer the do it yourself toolkit. For a bike build you'll need:
- Metric allen keys. Ones with the ball end on the long side will make your life easier. You won't need anything larger than 8mm
- appropriate crank/BB tools
- appropriate cassette lockring tool
- chain breaker
- cable/housing cutters
- #1 & #2 phillips screwdriver
- 1/4" flat screwdriver
Nice to have but not mandatory:
- tire levers
- pedal wrench (I rarely use mine anymore- new pedals can be installed and removed with the allen keys)
- third hand tool (I pretty much only use mine for the front derailleur)
In addition to that, you'll need some grease, a bag of rags, and some patience.
You'll also need someone to face your head tube and press in your headset cups- unless you're building a lot of bikes it's best just to get the LBS to do this for you IMO. My shop presses them in for free (I wouldn't try asking if you just bought all the parts online though)