Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-28-06, 07:57 PM   #1
BarconsOrBust
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Bikes: C-Dale R200, Univega Gran Premio (fixie)
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Miche cassettes

Hello, I'm looking for some more information on Miche cassettes...the versatility in gearing is my biggest concern in this particular application as I am trying to build my 'cross bike with a single ring in front and mavic sl wheels that I will use for both racing in the fall, and training on the road otherwise.

While on the road I will switch to a slightly larger front ring, and hopefully from a 12/27 to an 11/28 cassette. Shifting in the rear will either be Veloce 9 or Cenatur 10.

After browsing the miche and mavic sights (less than helpful) I have come up with these two questions:

1) Miche cassettes come in both Shimano and Campy splined...is a 10 speed miche shimano splined cassette SPACED differently than a miche 10 speed campy splined? Can I use a shimano splined miche cassette on my mavic wheel with a campy rear derailleur?

2) Can anyone clue me in as to whether miche 11t top cogs will fit onto a modern mavic hub? Miche's "sprockets table" seems to indicate that they will not, both in 9 and 10 speed...this sounds wrong to me.

Thanks for any help...hope the questions are clear enough to follow!
BarconsOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 08:08 PM   #2
Al1943
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Oklahoma
Bikes: Trek 5500, Colnago C-50
Posts: 9,433
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarconsOrBust
Hello, I'm looking for some more information on Miche cassettes...the versatility in gearing is my biggest concern in this particular application as I am trying to build my 'cross bike with a single ring in front and mavic sl wheels that I will use for both racing in the fall, and training on the road otherwise.

While on the road I will switch to a slightly larger front ring, and hopefully from a 12/27 to an 11/28 cassette. Shifting in the rear will either be Veloce 9 or Cenatur 10.

After browsing the miche and mavic sights (less than helpful) I have come up with these two questions:

1) Miche cassettes come in both Shimano and Campy splined...is a 10 speed miche shimano splined cassette SPACED differently than a miche 10 speed campy splined? Can I use a shimano splined miche cassette on my mavic wheel with a campy rear derailleur?

2) Can anyone clue me in as to whether miche 11t top cogs will fit onto a modern mavic hub? Miche's "sprockets table" seems to indicate that they will not, both in 9 and 10 speed...this sounds wrong to me.

1) Campy and Shimano spacing is different so I expect that the answer to your first question is yes. If the MAVIC freehub is Shimano splined you could use a Miche splined cassette. The Campy rear derailleur does not have the same throw ratio as a shimano derailleur and will not work well with a Shimano spaced cassette.

2) Not sure but I suspect that it depends on the MAVIC hub, they're not all the same. Are you sure you want an 11t cog? Suggest you got with a 12.

Al
Al1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 08:26 PM   #3
damocles1
The mods changed this...
 
damocles1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 2,346
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Miche cassettes suck. I have a 12/26 that has been relegated to the trainer wheel. They shift like sh*t, are boat anchor heavy and look like they were press-cut out of straight gauge sheet steel. Spend the money and get the correct cassette for the job.
damocles1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-06, 08:29 PM   #4
operator
cab horn
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Toronto
Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione
Posts: 28,306
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a miche 12/23 campy cassette. Worked perfectly fine.
operator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 07:53 AM   #5
BarconsOrBust
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New England
Bikes: C-Dale R200, Univega Gran Premio (fixie)
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for your responses...anyone have experience with using Shimano 9 speed cassettes on Campy 9 drivetrains? What I'm really looking for is to have the 11x28 in the back, regardless of brand, and neither campy nor shimano offers that in a stock configuration.

Since IRD makes an 11x28 that is shimano 9 spaced, this may be my best option, as I have heard that shimano 9 cassettes will work fine with campy 9 shifting...any opinions on the quality of the IRD cassette?

Thanks!!
BarconsOrBust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 08:59 AM   #6
jemoryl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: New Jersey, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 1,007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've heard various things about Miche cassettes which leads me to belive that they have more than one level of quality. Try contacting the US importer for some information: http://www.redroseimports.com/index.html
jemoryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 08:45 PM   #7
nitropowered
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Athens, Ohio
Bikes: Custom Custom Custom
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you could get a shimano splined version and get a bunch of campy spacers so it works with campy
nitropowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-06, 09:14 PM   #8
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitropowered
you could get a shimano splined version and get a bunch of campy spacers so it works with campy
That assumes that the cassette bodies are the exact same length. Is it so?
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 12:45 AM   #9
Steev
Senior Member
 
Steev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Backwoods of Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That assumes that the cassette bodies are the exact same length. Is it so?
How does Wheels Manufacturing handle that? They manage to get a Campy spaced cassette to fit a Shimano freehub body.
http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.ph...d=shiftconv9#a
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 08:20 AM   #10
nitropowered
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Athens, Ohio
Bikes: Custom Custom Custom
Posts: 5,104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanknight
That assumes that the cassette bodies are the exact same length. Is it so?
The spacers will be a different width to make up for that.
nitropowered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 12:01 PM   #11
Steev
Senior Member
 
Steev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Backwoods of Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitropowered
The spacers will be a different width to make up for that.
It still doesn't add up.
From Sheldon Brown http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Campy 9 speed spacing:- 4.55mm *8=36.4mm
Shimano 9 speed spacing:- 4.34mm *8=34.72mm
A difference of almost 2mm, I don't think you can fudge that out.
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 12:10 PM   #12
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev
How does Wheels Manufacturing handle that? They manage to get a Campy spaced cassette to fit a Shimano freehub body.
http://www.wheelsmfg.com/products.ph...d=shiftconv9#a
They might have a larger first spacer or a thicker lockring as needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitropowered
The spacers will be a different width to make up for that.
Not necessarily. The spacers are still based on a cassette with x width cogs and y total distance to fill up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steev
It still doesn't add up.
From Sheldon Brown http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html
Campy 9 speed spacing:- 4.55mm *8=36.4mm
Shimano 9 speed spacing:- 4.34mm *8=34.72mm
A difference of almost 2mm, I don't think you can fudge that out.
Thanks, you did the research I was too lazy to do
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 04:05 PM   #13
Steev
Senior Member
 
Steev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Backwoods of Ontario
Bikes:
Posts: 2,150
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It can't be a matter of spacers, the Campy stack is bigger than the Shimano, so I don't see how they can get it onto a Shimano freehub, unless they grind the outside cogs down or have a lockring that holds the outside cog or something.
Steev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 07:56 PM   #14
urbanknight
In beaurocratic limbo
 
urbanknight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Bikes: Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
Posts: 22,456
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmmm, that's a good point. My campy cassette gets so close to the stays that if it went any further out (which you pointed out might happen on a WM conversion cassette) it would rub. I'm not sure how they take care of that.
urbanknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:03 AM.