Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: tektro brakes

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    tektro brakes

    Hello, I need brake calipers for a bike I'm setting up. LBS has Tektro quartz 740, which cost 50% of Ultegra, and looks ok, light, koolstop pads etc.
    do you know about any weakness about these brakes?

    http://www.tektro.com/02products/08r750.php

    thanks!!

  2. #2
    Senior Member caotropheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Portugal-Israel
    Posts
    862
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For many years I used Tektro V-brakes. Worked always good and never failed even e very wet weather.

  3. #3
    Death fork? Naaaah!! top506's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    The other Maine, north of RT 2
    My Bikes
    '71 Gitane Super Corsa, '73 Atala Giro d'Italia, '73 Schwinn Super Sport, '76 Viscount Aerospace Pro, '81 Miyata 710, '81 Lotus Classique, '84 Ross Signature 290s, '84 Shogun 500, '85 Miele Gara, '87 Miyata 512, '89 Centurion Ironman, many more
    Posts
    3,037
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tektro is the OEM for Cane Creek, Nashbar, and several others. I would not hesitate to use any of their products. In fact, my dirt road Miyata runs Tektro 925 mini V-brakes and 2.0 interupter levers.
    Top
    You know it's going to be a good day when the stem and seatpost come right out.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have two sets of tektro brakes. Nashbar calipers and Textro ultra long reach calipers.

    The nashbar ones are cheapies (you can see where they cut corners) but work beautifully. The Tektro branded ones costa prettu penny but are very nice and work very well too.

    I found that an old set of Shimano RSX brakes I bought has nicer machining and a better finish, but they don't work any better than the Tektros and are in a couple of spots slightly flimsier.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    107
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    BTW:

    Confirmed about tektro being ODM for Cane Creek.... their scr-5 levers are actually just tektro R-200s

  6. #6
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by top506
    Tektro is the OEM for Cane Creek, Nashbar, and several others. I would not hesitate to use any of their products. In fact, my dirt road Miyata runs Tektro 925 mini V-brakes and 2.0 interupter levers.
    Top
    They make KULT's calipers, too.
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

  7. #7
    Senior Member iPAQsRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I replaced my stock Trek no-name brakes with long reach Tektro brakes about a year ago and have been very pleased with their performance. Great stopping performance and look good too I very high recommendation.

    2007 Specialized Roubaix SL (building)
    2004 Trek 1800c

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,260
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iPAQsRock
    I replaced my stock Trek no-name brakes with long reach Tektro brakes about a year ago and have been very pleased with their performance. Great stopping performance and look good too I very high recommendation.
    Any chance you replaced Tektro brakes with Tektro brakes? I wonder who makes Trek's "no-name" brakes.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Steev's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Backwoods of Ontario
    Posts
    2,123
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of people find the stock pads aren't too great and replace them.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steev
    A lot of people find the stock pads aren't too great and replace them.
    Tektro 740 in LBS come with koolstop pads that should work fine, so I wouldn't need to replace them

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    17
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by iPAQsRock
    I replaced my stock Trek no-name brakes with long reach Tektro brakes about a year ago and have been very pleased with their performance. Great stopping performance and look good too I very high recommendation.

    2007 Specialized Roubaix SL (building)
    2004 Trek 1800c
    more than likely trek stock brakes were merely cheaper tektros...

  12. #12
    Senior Member iPAQsRock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    64
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider
    Any chance you replaced Tektro brakes with Tektro brakes? I wonder who makes Trek's "no-name" brakes.
    Could be. The new ones are definitely a better brake as the tension spring wore out after only 2000 miles on the orginal pair.

  13. #13
    He drop me Grasschopper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Central PA
    My Bikes
    '03 Marin Mill Valley, '06 Cannondale Rush, '02 Eddy Merckx Corsa 0.1, '07 Bottecchia Euro Sprint Tour Comp Elite Pro 1000
    Posts
    11,436
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tektro makes Shimano's brakes too as well as Cannondale's and just about every other bike mfg that self brands brakes on their mid to low level bikes.

    The higher end Tektros are actually very nice brakes and as posted they come stock with koolstop pads.
    The views expressed by this poster do not reflect the views of BikeForums.net.

  14. #14
    me have long head tube TallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,091
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grasschopper
    Tektro makes Shimano's brakes too as well as Cannondale's and just about every other bike mfg that self brands brakes on their mid to low level bikes.
    Are you sure about the Shimano? I know that Tektro makes brakes that are re-branded by a bunch of other brands, including Cane Creek and Nashbar and Cannondale, but I really doubt taht Shimano farms any of their manufacturing out to Tektro.

  15. #15
    Senior Member George's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Katy Texas
    My Bikes
    Specialized Roubaix - Look 566 - Jamis Coda Elite
    Posts
    5,253
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wish I could find some Tektro disk brake pads.
    George

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    6,901
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have several bikes with Tektro and never have had a problem. The stock pads on the low end need replaced with Koolstops. The RX-40 is lighter than Ultegra and does the job just as well.

    OP the 740 model. Is this the carbon model? If your getting them for less than Ultegra it is a deal.

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,260
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oilman_15106
    I have several bikes with Tektro and never have had a problem. The stock pads on the low end need replaced with Koolstops. OP the 740 model. Is this the carbon model? If your getting them for less than Ultegra it is a deal.
    I've used Nashbar's brake pad/pad holders to replace Shimano brake shoes on older model 105 and Ultegra brakes since the pad holders accept both Shimano and Kool-stop replacement pads. These are obviously Tektros and way less expensive than either Shimano or Kool-Stop pad holders.

    One "trick" I've used is to replace the front pads with Kool-Stops but keep the Tektro pads for the rear brakes. Sort of a poor-man's approach to the Campy "Differential Brakes", i.e., lots of stoping power in front and less in back so you don't lock the rear wheel as easily.

  18. #18
    me have long head tube TallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,091
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider
    I've used Nashbar's brake pad/pad holders to replace Shimano brake shoes on older model 105 and Ultegra brakes since the pad holders accept both Shimano and Kool-stop replacement pads. These are obviously Tektros and way less expensive than either Shimano or Kool-Stop pad holders.
    One "trick" I've used is to replace the front pads with Kool-Stops but keep the Tektro pads for the rear brakes. Sort of a poor-man's approach to the Campy "Differential Brakes", i.e., lots of stoping power in front and less in back so you don't lock the rear wheel as easily.
    HillRider, I like your style. This makes sense as a way to save money where the performance doesn't count so much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •