Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lansing, MI
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Innova 26x1.75 won't fit on the 26" wheel

    Hello everyone,

    I recently bought some studded Innova tires and when I wanted to put them on, I realized that the inner diameter of the tires is about an inch less than that of the rim. Needless to say, there was no way to put them on. The innova tires are marked as 26x1.75, the tires that I have on right now are 26x1 3/8. I thought that 26 was the measure of the inner diameter. Am I missing something here, or did they just mess up when they made the tires?

    mikancic
    Black hole is a place where God divides by zero.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    2,175
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    26 inches is the rough outside diameter. There are several inside diameters. There are two different 26x1 3/8 sizes. One used by Schwinn and one used by most anyone else. See Sheldon Browns site for in depth tire sizing. Roger

  3. #3
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,744
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikancic
    Hello everyone,

    I recently bought some studded Innova tires and when I wanted to put them on, I realized that the inner diameter of the tires is about an inch less than that of the rim. Needless to say, there was no way to put them on. The innova tires are marked as 26x1.75, the tires that I have on right now are 26x1 3/8. I thought that 26 was the measure of the inner diameter. Am I missing something here, or did they just mess up when they made the tires?

    mikancic
    You bought the wrong tire. The ones that say 1-3/8 shown as a fraction are different from the ones that show it as a decimal like 1.75 or 1.95 etc. two different wheel sizes. The 1-3/8 are older, there may not be studded tires for that size. None of the decimal size tires will work for you.

    It gets worse, there are many 26" sizes. Is it an old Schwinn? It may be different still.

    Do go see Sheldon Browns page on this to understand. It will give you enough information to identify the old tire size. They are marked.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  4. #4
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes
    You bought the wrong tire. The ones that say 1-3/8 shown as a fraction are different from the ones that show it as a decimal like 1.75 or 1.95 etc. two different wheel sizes. The 1-3/8 are older, there may not be studded tires for that size. None of the decimal size tires will work for you.

    It gets worse, there are many 26" sizes. Is it an old Schwinn? It may be different still.

    Do go see Sheldon Browns page on this to understand. It will give you enough information to identify the old tire size. They are marked.
    Specifically: http://sheldonbrown.com/26

    Sheldon "ISO/E.T.R.T.O." Brown
    Code:
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+
    |   Want of care does us more damage than want of knowledge.  |    
    |                                      -- Benjamin Franklin   |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  5. #5
    Dog is my co-pilot 2manybikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    My Bikes
    2 many
    Posts
    13,744
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown
    Specifically: http://sheldonbrown.com/26

    Sheldon "ISO/E.T.R.T.O." Brown
    Code:
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+
    |   Want of care does us more damage than want of knowledge.  |    
    |                                      -- Benjamin Franklin   |
    +-------------------------------------------------------------+

    Thanks Capt. Bike. ISO/E.R.T.O. ............... H.U.R.T.S. my H.E.A.D.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •