Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    My Bikes
    Diamond Back Apex, Raleigh 20, Raleigh Sports
    Posts
    106
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Dismantling a shimano sealed bottom bracket

    Howdy
    I have a 'sealed' shimano bottom bracket, pretty much the same as a un-72...Does anyone know if these can be taken apart to regrease/ have a look at bearings? I've removed the seals on both sides and have unscrewed a thin nut and spacer from the axle, but there's another threaded 'nut' with under a mm of access to get what looks like a speciality tool onto it.

    Has anyone done this, know the procedure etc...???

  2. #2
    Senior Member capwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Quahog, RI
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha
    Posts
    1,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There's a reason they are sealed ... to keep inquisitive folks like you out! No re-greasing needed. When it wears out, you replace it. It's called progress, an improvement over the loose ball bearing styles of yesterear.

  3. #3
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that one should be able to repack a bottom bracket. Have also tried to pull a sealed cartridge apart, to no avail. I think they're stupid, and represent everything that's wrong wth our disposable society. What do I do with a 2 lb. hunk of metal after I replace it?

  4. #4
    Senior Member demoncyclist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Medway, MA
    My Bikes
    2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400
    Posts
    2,524
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The transfer station where I live recycles metal. Try that.
    DEMON

    Satanic Mechanic
    STAR 3 Spinning Instructor

    2011 Lynskey Sportive (Shimano Ultegra 10s)
    1988 Cannondale SM400 (Suntour XC-M 7s)

  5. #5
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by capwater
    There's a reason they are sealed ... to keep inquisitive folks like you out! No re-greasing needed. When it wears out, you replace it. It's called progress, an improvement over the loose ball bearing styles of yesterear.
    lmao -- throwing stuff away is an improvement

    My 7700 DA BB (loose ball/roller) was a work of art. Light as hell. It finally died, but it lasted a LOT longer than sealed, and it was so nice to look at during repacking.

  6. #6
    The mods changed this... damocles1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or you could have taken 1/4 of the same time and just thrown a new D/A track BB in it...

  7. #7
    Senior Member capwater's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Quahog, RI
    My Bikes
    Giant TCR Comps, Cdale R5000, Klein Q-Pro, Litespeed Siena, Piasano 105, Redline Conquest Pro, Voodoo Bizango, Fuji Aloha
    Posts
    1,509
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damocles1
    Or you could have taken 1/4 of the same time and just thrown a new D/A track BB in it...
    Good option, DA Octalink is not sealed.

  8. #8
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,547
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the recycling front, I highly doubt that any operation is going to take apart the BB to separate the metal from the plastic. They are going to accept the BB at the transfer station and then throw it in the dumpster. That sucks, in my opinion.

  9. #9
    Making a kilometer blurry waterrockets's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Austin (near TX)
    My Bikes
    rkwaki's porn collection
    Posts
    26,112
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by damocles1
    Or you could have taken 1/4 of the same time and just thrown a new D/A track BB in it...
    That means mail order or a trip to LBS, followed by giving up some of my $$. Insead, I got to spend some time in the shop unwrapping some engineering porn -- then rubbing it.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tellyho
    I agree that one should be able to repack a bottom bracket. Have also tried to pull a sealed cartridge apart, to no avail. I think they're stupid, and represent everything that's wrong wth our disposable society. What do I do with a 2 lb. hunk of metal after I replace it?
    Which is amusing since it's typically the cheap throwaway bikes that HAVE the servicable BBs.

    A Sealed BB Provides lots of smoothness at the expense of rebuildability. Part of the reason these things aren't servicable is to make sure people have to keep buying em to keep production up.

    Yeah, one can make a good looseball bottom bracket that is nice and smooth and rebuildable. But it's going to be a lot more expensive.

    Personally I prefer cartridge BBs. It isn't a silly change like Integrated headtubes or a confusing change like having 4 and a half different bottom bracket shells for BMX bikes. It's a legitimate improvement over the old system in many regards.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    26,130
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TO11MTM
    Which is amusing since it's typically the cheap throwaway bikes that HAVE the servicable BBs.

    A Sealed BB Provides lots of smoothness at the expense of rebuildability. Part of the reason these things aren't servicable is to make sure people have to keep buying em to keep production up.

    Yeah, one can make a good looseball bottom bracket that is nice and smooth and rebuildable. But it's going to be a lot more expensive.

    Personally I prefer cartridge BBs. It isn't a silly change like Integrated headtubes or a confusing change like having 4 and a half different bottom bracket shells for BMX bikes. It's a legitimate improvement over the old system in many regards.
    My experience has been that "disposable" sealed bottom brackets last at least as long or longer than "servicable" cup and cone bbs, even those with relatively frequent maintainance.

    Cup-and-cone bbs do wear out. The spindle and/or cups eventually pit and you have to replace them so they aren't lifetime purchases either. Just a lot more work for the same outcome.

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just changed to a Pil Wood BB, and was really impressed. Replaceable bearings that are better ones, too. bk

  13. #13
    Isaias NoRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Essex, MD
    My Bikes
    Ridley X-Fire (carbon, white)
    Posts
    5,174
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've pulled apart my Ultegra BB that has sealed cartridge bearings.

    Here's what I did:

    - Pulled the crank leaving the outboard bearing BB in the frame.
    - Carefully, using a screwdriver, pop off the plastic cover that snaps into the spline area of the bearing cartridge. It should be over top of the bearing seal.
    - Carefully, pry out the seal, exposing the bearings.
    - Leaving the bearings in place, flush out the race with some degreaser, cleaning the bearings and race as much as possible.
    - Flush out the area with WD40, wiping any excess out.
    - Repack with grease. I used Pedro's Syn Grease.
    - Replace the seal.
    - Coat the seal with grease only where it tucks under the edge of the bearing housing (to help keep contaminants out of the bearing.)
    - Replace the plastic cover that presses into the spine area of the bearing
    - Do the other side
    - Replace the crank.
    2009 mileage = 14,738 miles; 2010 mileage = 15,234 miles; 2011 mileage = 17,344 miles; 2012 mileage = 11,414 miles; 2013 = 12,169

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    387
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider
    My experience has been that "disposable" sealed bottom brackets last at least as long or longer than "servicable" cup and cone bbs, even those with relatively frequent maintainance.

    Cup-and-cone bbs do wear out. The spindle and/or cups eventually pit and you have to replace them so they aren't lifetime purchases either. Just a lot more work for the same outcome.
    Oh, Cup and cone BB's definately do wear out and I won't argue that. But it is possible to service the individual components as opposed to just replacing the whole unit. I run Sealed BBs on everything but my schwinns (American BBs, don't have much choice short of running a conversion bushing) because they last darn long enough for me.

  15. #15
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bkaapcke
    I just changed to a Pil Wood BB, and was really impressed. Replaceable bearings that are better ones, too. bk

    i had to have my phil BB rebuilt at 11k miles and then again at 7k miles. i get much better mileage from a UN-72 and get about four for the price of one phil BB .

    ed rader

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •