1975 Viscount Rebuild
The Viscount I have been working on is back from the paint shop and is ready to re-assemble. I've attached a before and after (of essentially the bare frame) to let you see how things progress. Recall this is a frame I decided to salvage because it is essentially a strong chrome moly frame and I need a bike to commute. The components needed a refresh and I have found some sales on last year pieces so it is now time to put things back together.
First issue was the bottom bracket. After some discussion last fall, we decided I had a standard English BB meaning many upgrades would fit. I found a Ultegra triple and an Ultegra BB cheap so why not.... Before the BB would slide through however, I needed to take a die grinder and clean up the inside of the BB tub. When the frame was built the ends of the down tube, etc were allowed to run slightly into the BB tube. For the original BB this didn't cause a problem but the Ultegra require more side clearance so I had to do a little grinding. It took about 10 minutes or so with an air die grinder. Piece of cake.
So with the BB and the head assembly in place, I set out to install the crank arms. This seems rather obvious, line up the slots in the arms to the teeth on the shaft, lub the threads on the retaining cap screws and torque in place. The arms, obviously, are install 180 degrees apart. I am wondering about what appears to be a lock nut. See attached picture. I have set the lock nut and washer on the crank. It appears the flat washer would go in first followed by the lock nut. The nut has an open center and two detents I assume to be used to tighted the nut using a punch or drift. It is aluminum on aluminum so I'm wondering about lubricant as well. Can anyone provide some insight? Thanks.
I may need to come back as I continue through this re-build. I'm going to go slow and ask questions because I don't want to screw it up and have to re-do anything. As always, thanks for your patience and your support.
Not sure about the Octalink installation question but I do have one warning for you. I did the same die grinding on one of mine and thought I had cleaned the BB shell out completely. Forgot about the grinding dust that went up the seat tube. I had test installed the new BB, everything fit, and when I removed it, the BB was coated with metal dust. Had to clean the BB up and reclean the frame. If you didn't check and clean the ST, you might want to remove and recheck.
After doing some more research and talking with Shimano and my LBS, I get a mixed message. Shimano said to lube it and tighten it in with a pin spanner. That it was a lock nut. My LBS said it is a crank extractor and to forget about it. Or they said you could use it as a locking device but wouldn't recommend using it as an extractor because it is made of aluminum.
Does anyone have a Octalink who can tell me if they have a locking ring screwed down on top of the retaining cap screw that holds the crank arm on.
it is a self-extractor. you can use them if you want, there aren't really any issues with them as long as you grease the threads. they do sometimes break, or pull out, but that's a pretty rare thing to have happen. take 'em or leave 'em, it really makes very little difference in the end. the cranks are secure on the spindle without it.
i've never heard it referred to as a lock nut, and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense, as it doesn't come into contact with the spindle bolt, until you back it out to pull the cranks.
Great point. It would be tough to be an extractor and a locking device as well. I'll leave them out. Thanks.