Join Date: May 2006
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just an update for those of you contemplating this.
I gingerly took off the locknut and outer shell. The main unit dropped out. At this stage I baulked at disassembling it further. I gave it a bath in some solvent to clean it. While wiping it, the rag knocked some pawls off from under a spring, so I had to put them back on with the help of a screwdriver. Then I liberally applied Nexus grease to all the bits that looked like they needed it. I put it together and installed the wheel back on the bike.
After adjusting the tightness of the locknut, I tested out the play in the wheel ... gone. Changing to the grinding gears, 5 and 7, the grinding sound has gone also.
The next test will be to ride it, but so far, so good.