Originally Posted by DeadSailor
that bike comes with bontrager select wheels
front wheel is radially laced so spokes dont touch eachother. might still be the tension though
I had the exact same problem with my Bontrager select front wheel. Your front hub cups are loose in the shell.
1. Dis-assemble front hub.
2. Remove cups from hub shell
3. thouroughyl clean all surfaces with degreaser then alcohol
4. Apply a liberal amount of red loctite into hub shell where cup fits in
5. Insert cup and reassemble hub with NO GREASE
6. Purpose of 5 is to set the cups in place
7. Wipe of excess loctite. If no loctite squirted out the sides you didnt use enough
8. Wait 24 hours. Disassemble. Re-assemple with grease.
My hub did that from the day I rode out the LBS door. The mechanic at the LBS gave me a 'song and dance'. I just kind of looked and him funny and walked out. I E-mailed the Trek/Bontrager tech department and they told about the problem and how to fix it. I already knew but wanted to hear it from them. Two years now on the fix and NO problems.
1984 Schwinn Paramount; 1987 Schwinn Paramount; 1975 Tom Ritchey, 198X Vitus