Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-26-07, 01:27 PM   #1
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Disk Brakes Add to my Bike

I was planning on adding front disk brakes to my bike.

I was planning on using mechanical disk brakes.
What are the things I need in order to do this?

A new fork? Anything else? a new hub, new rims, add rotors, calipers? etc...?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 01:58 PM   #2
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyben
new fork, new hub, brakes
Thanks.

Any idea if standard, normal hubs have a 10mm axle?

Recommendations for fork, hub, brakes system?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 12:23 PM   #3
mlh122
Senior Member
 
mlh122's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NW
Bikes: Trek 4500
Posts: 881
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyben
what bike do you have and what do you use it for
+1 what bike? I upgraded to discs yesterday, but I had wheels that do disc and V'brakes, and my fork and frame already had the mounts. So I got Avid BB7's for $59 on pricepoint, got the flak jacket cable (since that's what they recommended) and a Cable Cutter, and opted to use my Tektro V brake levers.

they work great. I went from not being able to skid if my life depended on it, to being able to skid on flat dry pavement with 1 finger.

I can't stress enough that you get what you pay for, don't get the $19 disc kit, you won't like it.

Can't stress enough the value of a cable cutter. the last time i messed with cables i ruined a pair of tinsnips, wire cutter, steak knife, wire stripper, cat5 crimper, trying to cut the dang cable. This time i sprung $16 for the actual bike cable cutter, and it just cut the cable like it were a twig.

If you must get a fork i'd stay away from RST too, except maybe the RST Gila I've heard good things about. I have a Rockshox Judy, which is an ok disc-ready starter fork. Not great by any means, but it does it's job and doesn't give me problems.
mlh122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 05:21 PM   #4
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh122
+1 what bike? I upgraded to discs yesterday, but I had wheels that do disc and V'brakes, and my fork and frame already had the mounts. So I got Avid BB7's for $59 on pricepoint, got the flak jacket cable (since that's what they recommended) and a Cable Cutter, and opted to use my Tektro V brake levers.

they work great. I went from not being able to skid if my life depended on it, to being able to skid on flat dry pavement with 1 finger.

I can't stress enough that you get what you pay for, don't get the $19 disc kit, you won't like it.

Can't stress enough the value of a cable cutter. the last time i messed with cables i ruined a pair of tinsnips, wire cutter, steak knife, wire stripper, cat5 crimper, trying to cut the dang cable. This time i sprung $16 for the actual bike cable cutter, and it just cut the cable like it were a twig.

If you must get a fork i'd stay away from RST too, except maybe the RST Gila I've heard good things about. I have a Rockshox Judy, which is an ok disc-ready starter fork. Not great by any means, but it does it's job and doesn't give me problems.

hi there,

strange enough

it will be a commuter

i will want a suspension fork, strange enough
yeah, i have heard the suspension steals away my thunder

but it will be motorized
that is the main reasoni i will be going a lot faster and will want more powerful stopping power

these are all fair reasons, better suspensioni because will be going faster, and suspension protects hub motor better and suspension gives better contact on road

also suspension stealing power? not so much a factor, it steals power from the battery ... but not a big deal since i have more than enough juice, and the benefit far far outweighs the cost in this effect here

so do you have recommendations for exact combo;s? i don't exactly know how the whole things fits

so first, what parts do i need, components?
like e.g. i will need a fork with tabs...2) i will need a caliper 3) a set of pads 4) levers 5) rotor....
and where does each fit with the manufacturer and model?

e.g. 1) fork=Rock Shox Judy
2) Caliper = Shimano something
3) Pads = Koolstop
4) Levers = Avid BB7
5) Rotor = Shimano Rotor model...


and what sizes are available for the rotor and which are common?

51mm? 160mm? i have no idea of the numbers?

A combinationr recommendation would be appreciated, and for all, with fork and brakes if $250 or less would be good, if this is available for this with dece3nt quality

thanks!
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 05:24 PM   #5
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
also,

160mm or 185 or 203mm
and BB7, what does IS mount mean, is this relative to the fork type i need to buy or the hub that needed?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-07, 11:27 PM   #6
DevilsGT2
ಠ_ಠ
 
DevilsGT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF
Bikes: One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusor
also,

160mm or 185 or 203mm
and BB7, what does IS mount mean, is this relative to the fork type i need to buy or the hub that needed?
IS is short for International Standard, so unless you have a Manitou fork, or some Shimano hubs, then you don't have to worry about it.
DevilsGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 05:11 AM   #7
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My new RockShox Dart 2 fork has a post type caliper mount.

Just sayin'


Fot the OP... What type of brakes are currently on your bike? If you have linear pulls, you can save some coin on levers as they will work just fine with mechanical calipers.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 09:19 PM   #8
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey
My new RockShox Dart 2 fork has a post type caliper mount.

Just sayin'


Fot the OP... What type of brakes are currently on your bike? If you have linear pulls, you can save some coin on levers as they will work just fine with mechanical calipers.
yes

v brakes?
linear?
they has the fr5 from sram avid for the handles don't know about else
big huge descents, long falls, severe muddy and rainy conditions, deep descents, major downhills?

so the 160mm should be fine right?
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 09:29 PM   #9
z415
Senior Member
 
z415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.
Posts: 2,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusor
v brakes?
linear?
they has the fr5 from sram avid for the handles don't know about else

so the 160mm should be fine right?
V-brakes are a type of linear brake that was pushed into market/popularity by Shimano (as far as my history lessons go) and they look like this http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+V-Brake.aspx.

The FR-5 by SRAM/Avid is a good mechanical lever that will work for mechanical disc brakes and "mechanical" rim brakes (i.e. v-brakes).

160mm rotors are, from what I know, the standard size (as in thats what they come in) and they should work fine. If you wanted bigger, which I would assume would give better stopping through larger surface area and heat dissipation, then you would probably need an adapter because the caliper would have to mounted further away from the mounts (holes in fork for caliper) and at a different angle to accommodate something larger.
z415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 09:36 PM   #10
z415
Senior Member
 
z415's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.
Posts: 2,343
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elusor
big huge descents, long falls, severe muddy and rainy conditions, deep descents, major downhills?
No type of brakes will save you in a long fall, but they might prevent it before you go over that cliff.

How would you define major downhills, deep descents and big huge descents? Either way, for commuting you should be fine. For perspective I can stop fast enough to avoid getting hit by a car on my road bike while going 25+ mph with road style rim brakes (dual pivot) that are inherently weaker than v-brakes.

Your braking would be better than mine in rain and mud if that makes you feel any better.
z415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-07, 10:45 PM   #11
Elusor
Banned.
Thread Starter
 
Elusor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 596
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by z415
V-brakes are a type of linear brake that was pushed into market/popularity by Shimano (as far as my history lessons go) and they look like this http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...0+V-Brake.aspx.

The FR-5 by SRAM/Avid is a good mechanical lever that will work for mechanical disc brakes and "mechanical" rim brakes (i.e. v-brakes).

160mm rotors are, from what I know, the standard size (as in thats what they come in) and they should work fine. If you wanted bigger, which I would assume would give better stopping through larger surface area and heat dissipation, then you would probably need an adapter because the caliper would have to mounted further away from the mounts (holes in fork for caliper) and at a different angle to accommodate something larger.
is this v-brake? and what is better? the avid or teh Shimano XTR?
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...ate+Brake.aspx
Elusor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-07, 04:42 AM   #12
Stacey
Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP)
 
Stacey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Bikes:
Posts: 9,162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yes, that is a v-brake.

Which is better Avid or Shimano is like asking which is better, scrambled eggs or omlettes? The answer you get will be based for the most part on media hype and personal experiences. They both will do the job and with mostly striking similarities. Any differences will be small.

I'm not a loyalist when it comes to brand names, if it's sturdy and well made, if it will do the job and be pleasing to the eye, if it's affordable and a good value, then that's what I'm buying.

It sounds a bit like you're getting hung up in the wrong details.
__________________
Stacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:44 AM.