Join Date: May 2006
Bikes: Trek 1200, Kona Honky Inc, PX Stealth
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Another "whats that noise" thread
I have searched and tried a few things that were suggested in other threads but I still have a weird noise.
Here are the symtpoms:
- It sounds like a shoe lace hitting the aluminum tube.
- Sometimes it appears to be in sync with the pedal motion, as in I hear it when my right foot is around 1-3 o'clock but not all the time.
- It does occur at random times as well including when I am not pedaling.
- It happens more when I am pedaling though.
- It doesn't seem to matter if I am mashing or just spinning either.
- I cannot reliably reproduce it but it does happen often
- tighted my cleats
- removed, cleaned and applied a small amount of lube to the carbon seat post
- removed, cleaned and re greased the headset (I think thats what its called, connection between front fork and frame)
- swapped wheels, front and rear
- tighted and lubed all the bolts that I can
The bike is a 06 trek 1200 with 105 rear, tiagra front. The bike has about 2500 miles. Chain was replaced 300 miles ago and is well lubed. Wheels are stock alex rims or bontrager race depending on the weather. race wheels have around 200 miles and are basically new.
Any ideas on what to do next? The tick has gotten louder and occurs more frequently in the past hundred miles or so. Nothing really different in riding style and it hasn't been subject to any hard impacts. It did see more rain and wet weather in the past few months than it ever has. I do wipe down the frame and drive train after every wet commute.