Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-30-07, 08:31 AM   #1
NRRider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ksyrium SL Front Hub Squeaking

Noticed some squeaking from the front hub of my Ksyrium SL yesterday. I've read several threads and there seems to be conflicting advice on what to do. Some say it doesn't make sense to lube the bearings since they are sealed; others say I need to get a special wrench to remove the bearings and grease them; others say to get the special tool and replace the bearings.
Also, do I need to have the wheel on the fork to adjust the bearings? Seems to be conflicting view on that as well.
Any help would be appreciated.
Edit: Also, if I want to purchase replacement bearings, will any cartridge 12x24x6 bearing work? That seems to be the size but wanted to confirm. Thanks.

Last edited by NRRider; 04-30-07 at 09:36 AM.
NRRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 09:52 AM   #2
awiner
1 Serving Per Container
 
awiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California, USA
Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You will need the tool to adjust and remove the bearings. I have one if you need to borrow it.

For the front bearings, you will need two 6901 bearings.

If you are going to just replace them with standard bearings I would do so vs. regrease them as standard bearings are pretty inexpensive.

I replaced mine with ceramic bearings becuase I got them for free, however, they make little difference other than they will probably last forever if I re-grease them when needed.
awiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 10:28 AM   #3
NRRider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner
You will need the tool to adjust and remove the bearings. I have one if you need to borrow it.

For the front bearings, you will need two 6901 bearings.

If you are going to just replace them with standard bearings I would do so vs. regrease them as standard bearings are pretty inexpensive.

I replaced mine with ceramic bearings becuase I got them for free, however, they make little difference other than they will probably last forever if I re-grease them when needed.

Thanks Adam. I may take you up on that, though I'd like to get one just so I have it for future repairs. What do you think of these bearings? http://cgi.ebay.com/1-ABEC-5-Ball-Be...QQcmdZViewItem
NRRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 12:36 PM   #4
awiner
1 Serving Per Container
 
awiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California, USA
Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Those look good. I have ABI Enduro ceramic bearings class 5 (ABIEC-5) as well.

They are easy to install... I'll show you.

BTW, most bike shops will have the bearing tool in stock. It comes with all Mavic wheel sets when you buy them separatly. You can also use a spanner wrench but the Mavic tool is fool proof and inexpensive.

I think I actually saw them hanging in the tool area at Wheel World in Woodland Hills. If you want I can swing by and get you one.
awiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 02:23 PM   #5
NRRider
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 685
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by awiner
Those look good. I have ABI Enduro ceramic bearings class 5 (ABIEC-5) as well.

They are easy to install... I'll show you.

BTW, most bike shops will have the bearing tool in stock. It comes with all Mavic wheel sets when you buy them separatly. You can also use a spanner wrench but the Mavic tool is fool proof and inexpensive.

I think I actually saw them hanging in the tool area at Wheel World in Woodland Hills. If you want I can swing by and get you one.
Thanks for the offer. They have them at Bicycle John's, so I'll stop by there to pick one up this week. May order bearings for the rear too. Seems pretty simple to do the actual work (and don't remind me that I said the same thing about that Mintyboost).
NRRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 02:43 PM   #6
awiner
1 Serving Per Container
 
awiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Southern California, USA
Bikes: 2007 Look 595 Ultra (Campagnolo Record)
Posts: 1,159
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NRRider
Thanks for the offer. They have them at Bicycle John's, so I'll stop by there to pick one up this week. May order bearings for the rear too. Seems pretty simple to do the actual work (and don't remind me that I said the same thing about that Mintyboost).

I still have your MintyBoost... Never was able to figure it out although I suspect the power inductor, which is a hard part to find. The 5V boost converter IC was blown and I fixed that.


If you want to do the rear, you will need (1) 6903 (Rear Non-Drive), (2) 608 (Rear Drive and cassette body). You don't need to replace the one in the cassette body, but I figured I would give you the info anyhow.

The rear is simple too, but you will end up having to refill the oil (15-20 drops) in the freehub (Which I have as well) when you open it.
awiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:51 AM.