Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-20-07, 08:24 AM   #1
gedk66
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Rockhopper- gear shift problem(shimano)

Hi, can anyone help me with my problem?
I have a Specialized Rockhopper, quite an old one, at least 8 yrs old, and the crank gear won't select anything other, than the smallest cog. The deraileur moves when the lever is depressed, but returns to its first position. I guess what I'm asking is how can it be adjusted to allow the movement to select either of the three cogs and stay where I want it..??
The name of the gears on the bike is, Shimano total intergration Exage 500 GX..???

Please excuse my 'Blondeness' when it comes to the correct terminology, but I'm new to cycling again and its been a very very long time, since I was a kid that used to ride every day..

Kind regards

Ged..
gedk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 10:36 AM   #2
DevilsGT2
ಠ_ಠ
 
DevilsGT2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: SF
Bikes: One of the first Aluminum Rockhoppers to come with front suspension.
Posts: 624
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It sounds like your deraileur is fine, and the shifter is busted.
DevilsGT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 11:17 AM   #3
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,750
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsGT2
It sounds like your deraileur is fine, and the shifter is busted.
+1. The shifter is supposed to have some detents that hold the gear in place but your's don't seem to be working. You can try shooting some WD40 into the shifter to see if that fill free up the detents but you probably need a new shifter.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 11:41 AM   #4
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Posts: 9,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
In the case your RockHopper is an 86 (it would be RED or BLUE), it would be equipped with friction shifters.
IF so, there is a little "D" ring on the top center you can tighten to increase the friction.
Are the shifter bodies real nice heavy, shiny aluminum?
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 12:24 PM   #5
gedk66
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I've no idea of exact age of the bike. The gear and brake levers are black painted and marked 'STI'. They are a 7 speed rear and 3 speed front. I know thats not much help, but there doesn't seem to be any other markings. Do you think I should take them apart, or will they kind of spring apart like an old watch?? Oh, they have an allen key screw on the top to dismantle. Thats about it as far as a discription goes I'm afraid..

Thanks for your advice

Rgds

Ged..
gedk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 12:37 PM   #6
Retro Grouch 
Senior Member
 
Retro Grouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: St Peters, Missouri
Bikes: Rans Rockst (Retro rocket) Rans Enduro Sport (Retro racket) Catrike 559, Merin Bear Valley (beater bike).
Posts: 26,750
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedk66
They are a 7 speed rear and 3 speed front. I know thats not much help, but there doesn't seem to be any other markings. Do you think I should take them apart, or will they kind of spring apart like an old watch??
Do they have 2 parallel thumb buttons to push or one thumb button and one trigger? You can try taking them apart if you want. It doesn't work now so you've nothing to lose. I wouldn't bet the rent money on getting them back together and functioning.
Retro Grouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 01:02 PM   #7
gedk66
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Do they have 2 parallel thumb buttons to push or one thumb button and one trigger? You can try taking them apart if you want. It doesn't work now so you've nothing to lose. I wouldn't bet the rent money on getting them back together and functioning.
They have two buttons, one that takes the deraileur one way and one for the opposite..
gedk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 01:11 PM   #8
OneTinSloth
(Grouchy)
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Bikes:
Posts: 3,643
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
+1. The shifter is supposed to have some detents that hold the gear in place but your's don't seem to be working. You can try shooting some WD40 into the shifter to see if that fill free up the detents but you probably need a new shifter.

++ try this, it will almost certainly solve your problem.
OneTinSloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 03:20 PM   #9
Bill Kapaun
Senior Member
 
Bill Kapaun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Mid Willamette Valley, Orygun
Bikes: 86 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.
Posts: 9,384
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Ditto about flushing it with solvent.
Flush, let it sit a few minutes and then SLOWLY push the lever all the way and SLOWLY let it return. Do this back & forth for a couple minutes.
Repeat the procedure.
If it doesn't do it after about 4-5 repititions, buy a new shifter.
Bill Kapaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 12:03 AM   #10
gedk66
Newbie
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Ditto about flushing it with solvent.
Flush, let it sit a few minutes and then SLOWLY push the lever all the way and SLOWLY let it return. Do this back & forth for a couple minutes.
Repeat the procedure.
If it doesn't do it after about 4-5 repititions, buy a new shifter.
Hi, thanks for all the suggesstions. I tried the WD40 but alas, its a dead-un..I'll be off to the shops today to get a replacement..

Rgds

Ged
gedk66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:50 AM.