Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    W.W.DZ.D? cedricbosch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    8 speed shifters work with 9 speed deraileur/casette?

    I'd like to upgrade my casette / deraileur to 9-speed for now because my casette is worn and i have to replace it, so might as well make the jump from 8 to 9 speed.

    however, i don't have enough cash to drop on new shifters, so can i just use my old deore 8-speed shifters with my new 9-speed setup?
    Cat 1 meter- 15%

  2. #2
    Senior Member freeranger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Kentucky
    My Bikes
    06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike
    Posts
    1,013
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cogs on a 9 speed are closer together than an 8 speed, which is why 9 speed must use a narrower chain. If you are changing to a 9 speed cassette, go with a 9 speed shifter-and you'll need a new chain for 9 speed also, but should replace the chain anyway if the cassette is worn enough to need replacing.

  3. #3
    biked well well biked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,820
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch
    I'd like to upgrade my casette / deraileur to 9-speed for now because my casette is worn and i have to replace it, so might as well make the jump from 8 to 9 speed.

    however, i don't have enough cash to drop on new shifters, so can i just use my old deore 8-speed shifters with my new 9-speed setup?
    What you'll need to go with the new 9sp cassette is new 9sp shifters (and 9sp chain), the "8 speed" derailleur will do fine (the "speeds" are in the cassette and shifters, not the derailleur)-
    Last edited by well biked; 05-30-07 at 12:50 PM.

  4. #4
    W.W.DZ.D? cedricbosch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by well biked
    What you'll need to go with the new 9sp cassette is new 9sp shifters (and 9sp chain), the "8 speed" derailleur will do fine (the "speeds" are in the cassette and shifters, not the derailleur)-
    Ah, i see. Actually, that makes sense now that I think about it. Thanks!
    Cat 1 meter- 15%

  5. #5
    W.W.DZ.D? cedricbosch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,978
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and what about my chainrings? Will those need to be swapped out as well?
    Cat 1 meter- 15%

  6. #6
    Banned.
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Home alone
    My Bikes
    Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000
    Posts
    6,021
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

  7. #7
    biked well well biked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    6,820
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch
    Oh and what about my chainrings? Will those need to be swapped out as well?
    Your chainrings should be fine-

  8. #8
    * vpiuva's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,458
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cedricbosch
    I'd like to upgrade my casette / deraileur to 9-speed for now because my casette is worn and i have to replace it, so might as well make the jump from 8 to 9 speed.

    however, i don't have enough cash to drop on new shifters, so can i just use my old deore 8-speed shifters with my new 9-speed setup?
    No need for a new derailleur, and 8 speed cassettes (at least road ones) are cheap. What range are you looking for?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •