Having read lots of articles and posts on tires, I am baffled how to determine in some scientific method the largest tire I could put on my 89 Trek 400. And then how to verify the measurements of the actual tire before I buy it.
Seems like I need to know the following bike measurements:
- clearance between the brake pads
- clearance between chain stays
- Maximum radius clearance from the axle center to the seat tube or bottom or brake
- Interior rim width at the bead.
For a potential tire I would need to know:
- maximum bead width
- width of inflated tire at its widest point
- maximum radius of inflated, mounted tire
I am no doubt making this too complicated, but if I wanted to put cyclocross tires on my road bike for commuting on a mixture or gravel, dirt and pavement, how big could I go? There has to be some rational way to figure this out?
Thanks as usual for entertaining my ignorance.