I have a 06 Specialized Roubiax Comp (completely factory stock) with shimano ultegra triple front der and FSA crank set. 10 speed rear gear set. I cannot adjust my front der so that I do not drop the chain while shifting to granny low (inner most - smallest chain ring). I have downloaded shimano's derailleur set up instructions, and followed instructions using calipers to verify all dimensions in spec. Note: my LBS can't seem to adjust it either. Specialiazed tech support said some FSA cranks were a problem and may need replacement. LBS replaced FSA crank set - but the problem persists.
Problem seems to be in the inner derailleur adjustment. Shimano spec says inner chain stop should be from 0 to .5mm from chain (while on inner chain ring). After all other adjustents you should then tweek the inner chain stop for proper shifting. When inner chain stop in suggested starting position, the der does not move chain from middle ring to inner ring. Once inner stop moved in sufficiently to move chain from middle ring to inner ring, the chain stop does not stop the chain from over shooting the inner chain ring and sometimes it falls off, sometimes the chain doesn't settle into the gear cogs and rides on top, and sometimes the chain falls into place properly. The mis-shift happens 5 percent of the time with optimal adjustment. At this time I am frustrated, the kid (under 30) working on my bike at LBS is frustrated.
Has anyone else heard of any problems like this with the Specialized Roubaix Comp or Shimano Ultegra triple, or FSA crank set ???
* rear der always on innermost (largest) gear while shifting the front der
* inner chain stop more than 2 mm from chain once adjustment done to allow shift from mid to inner ring
* bike new 10/06, with less than 500 miles
* 10 speed rear gears (30 speed total for bike)
* problem happened since new, LBS tweeked adjustment for me a few times, but at first I thought maybe it was just me. However I can duplicate problem on work bench.