Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Senior Member kokomo61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Should I stop digging a hole?

    After I got a decent road and commuter bike, I came up with this wild idea to upgrade my Trek 7300 hybrid into a fast flat-bar road bike (with the exception of some head-tube height, it's identical to the FX geometry).

    Well, the combination of being a noob and initial excitement has gotten me into kind of a bind. I've bought things that don't work - Front DR (too small of a band clamp), crankset (outer chain ring is too big for the drive train - it's a 52/39/30 - max for the Shimano flat bar setup is 50T)

    I also bought different shifters than I wanted, but I put those back on eBay.

    Here's my question - is there a 50T Shimano outer chain ring that I can swap with the 52T? There's a 10SP compatible one that's 50T, but I don't want to buy ANOTHER thing that doesn't fit......at this point, the bike isn't really rideable, because it's still got the old SRAM X series RD, the 11-32 cassette, and the old front DR (with the new crankset). Am I in over my head, and should get a REAL mechanic to set it up properly, or can I (slowly) dig my way out of it?

    Here's what it's SUPPOSED to have when I'm done:

    Shifters: Shimano R-660 flatbar shifters
    Crankset: 105-series triple (50/39/30) - it's currently a 52/39/30
    FR - Shimano FD-R453B (9-sp, compatible with the R-660's)
    RD - Shimano Ultegra long-cage (9-sp compatible)
    Cassette - Shimano 105 12-25
    Wheels - Shimano WH-R550

    Right now, my sticking point is the outer chainring. If I keep making mistakes, it will have been cheaper to buy a new 7.3 FX.
    Giant OCR C2
    Fuji Cross Pro
    Scattante 650-R
    '06 Kona Jake the Snake - back to stock, and up for sale.

  2. #2
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomo61
    After I got a decent road and commuter bike, I came up with this wild idea to upgrade my Trek 7300 hybrid into a fast flat-bar road bike (with the exception of some head-tube height, it's identical to the FX geometry).

    Well, the combination of being a noob and initial excitement has gotten me into kind of a bind. I've bought things that don't work - Front DR (too small of a band clamp), crankset (outer chain ring is too big for the drive train - it's a 52/39/30 - max for the Shimano flat bar setup is 50T)

    I also bought different shifters than I wanted, but I put those back on eBay.

    Here's my question - is there a 50T Shimano outer chain ring that I can swap with the 52T? There's a 10SP compatible one that's 50T, but I don't want to buy ANOTHER thing that doesn't fit......at this point, the bike isn't really rideable, because it's still got the old SRAM X series RD, the 11-32 cassette, and the old front DR (with the new crankset). Am I in over my head, and should get a REAL mechanic to set it up properly, or can I (slowly) dig my way out of it?

    Here's what it's SUPPOSED to have when I'm done:

    Shifters: Shimano R-660 flatbar shifters
    Crankset: 105-series triple (50/39/30) - it's currently a 52/39/30
    FR - Shimano FD-R453B (9-sp, compatible with the R-660's)
    RD - Shimano Ultegra long-cage (9-sp compatible)
    Cassette - Shimano 105 12-25
    Wheels - Shimano WH-R550

    Right now, my sticking point is the outer chainring. If I keep making mistakes, it will have been cheaper to buy a new 7.3 FX.
    I don't understand what the problem is with the 52 you already have...? I would have expected this to work just fine...

    Sheldon "Puzzled" Brown
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  3. #3
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't HAVE to have a 50t chainring upfront, there are plent of choices < 50t. What exactly is limiting you to 50t? The derailleur? This doesn't make sense.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  4. #4
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Raliegh Record Ace, Trek 7300
    Posts
    3,837
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomo61
    After I got a decent road and commuter bike, I came up with this wild idea to upgrade my Trek 7300 hybrid into a fast flat-bar road bike (with the exception of some head-tube height, it's identical to the FX geometry).

    Well, the combination of being a noob and initial excitement has gotten me into kind of a bind. I've bought things that don't work - Front DR (too small of a band clamp), crankset (outer chain ring is too big for the drive train - it's a 52/39/30 - max for the Shimano flat bar setup is 50T)

    I also bought different shifters than I wanted, but I put those back on eBay.

    Here's my question - is there a 50T Shimano outer chain ring that I can swap with the 52T? There's a 10SP compatible one that's 50T, but I don't want to buy ANOTHER thing that doesn't fit......at this point, the bike isn't really rideable, because it's still got the old SRAM X series RD, the 11-32 cassette, and the old front DR (with the new crankset). Am I in over my head, and should get a REAL mechanic to set it up properly, or can I (slowly) dig my way out of it?

    Here's what it's SUPPOSED to have when I'm done:

    Shifters: Shimano R-660 flatbar shifters
    Crankset: 105-series triple (50/39/30) - it's currently a 52/39/30
    FR - Shimano FD-R453B (9-sp, compatible with the R-660's)
    RD - Shimano Ultegra long-cage (9-sp compatible)
    Cassette - Shimano 105 12-25
    Wheels - Shimano WH-R550

    Right now, my sticking point is the outer chainring. If I keep making mistakes, it will have been cheaper to buy a new 7.3 FX.
    I am looking at the same issue, I have to replace my crank on my 7300 and don't want to have to replace the whole drive train. I live in ultra-flat Florida so I moved to a 12-23 8 spd cassette 9 months ago and would just like to find a crank\BB that will work not requiring new shifters, fd and rd. I've seen 48T Bontrager Select for Hybrids which seems like it will work, but no one has it in stock so I can look at it. I'm not looking to spend any serious cash, just something that will make the bike go forward
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2003 Trek 7300 | 2011 Raleigh Record Ace - Steel is real
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  5. #5
    Call me The Breeze I_bRAD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Corbyville Ontario
    My Bikes
    2004 Litespeed Siena, 1996 Litespeed Obed, 1992 Miele (unknown model), 1982 Meile Uno LS.
    Posts
    3,698
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator
    If you don't HAVE to have a 50t chainring upfront, there are plent of choices < 50t. What exactly is limiting you to 50t? The derailleur? This doesn't make sense.
    The derailleur is getting replaced anyhow 'cause the clamp is too small.

  6. #6
    Senior Member oldokie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Remo, Cannondale SR500
    Posts
    412
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the end, you may spend more than you planned and still not have that fast flat bar bike you were expecting. I had a similar notion with a 7500 but decided to sell and do it right (buy a decent road bike). Even after you swap out components, your bike will still be heavier than a road bike and you will still be unhappy. Your suspension front fork alone weighs a bunch and your tires will still be heavy compared to a road bike.
    Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened.

    06 C'dale SR500
    96 Bianchi San Remo for touring

  7. #7
    Senior Member jaxgtr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL
    My Bikes
    Cannondale SuperSix, Raliegh Record Ace, Trek 7300
    Posts
    3,837
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldokie
    In the end, you may spend more than you planned and still not have that fast flat bar bike you were expecting. I had a similar notion with a 7500 but decided to sell and do it right (buy a decent road bike). Even after you swap out components, your bike will still be heavier than a road bike and you will still be unhappy. Your suspension front fork alone weighs a bunch and your tires will still be heavy compared to a road bike.
    I replaced my fork with a rigid but want to keep the bike. I use it for interval training cause it is heavy. I live in flat Florida and this helps me with my leg strength as I ride over bridges.
    Brian | 2013 Cannondale SuperSix 5 | 2003 Trek 7300 | 2011 Raleigh Record Ace - Steel is real
    Quote Originally Posted by AEO View Post
    you should learn to embrace change, and mock it's failings every step of the way.

  8. #8
    Senior Member kokomo61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies so far.......here's some more info:

    The 50T size is dictated by....the front derailleur....which is dictated by....the shifters.


    The Shimano R-660 shifters are compatible with the 443/453 series front derailleurs, which have a 50T limitation (at least according to Shimano). Because I jumped in without a lot of knowledge, I didn't know that my 52/39/30 was too big. Hopefully I can swap the outer chain ring....that was my first question to start.

    I also have to get a front derailleur that is compatible with the shifters, AND fits around the seat tube. I think that's the 34.9 453 FD from Shimano.

    If I can solve the drive train issues and get that part set up, it should work out, but right now, I'm thinking that I should just take it to a qualified mechanic and have them set it up. I'd like to get better at working on the bike, but I keep hitting dead ends and making mistakes, and it's getting frustrating.

    As far as weight, etc...I've already swapped the suspension fork for a rigid steel fork, and have converted it over to a threadless headset, flat bars and axed the suspension seat post. I've also got new road wheels/tires that are a lot lighter than the stock Bontrager rims/tires.

    I have two light (real) road bikes, and my commuter, so I'm not trying to turn this into a full-blown road bike - I just want to make it into a faster casual bike with better components than what it came with.....but it's getting to be an expensive lesson.....
    Giant OCR C2
    Fuji Cross Pro
    Scattante 650-R
    '06 Kona Jake the Snake - back to stock, and up for sale.

  9. #9
    Senior Member kokomo61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a little weird....The Shimano web site says that the R-440 shifters (and 660's too) are compatible with the 440/443/453 series derailleurs, and can use a maximum chain ring size of 50T (for the triple).

    This BD bike has a setup almost exactly what I'm trying to do with the Trek, but it has a 52/42/30 front CR. Who's wrong? Shimano or BD? (I pretty much know that I'm wrong at this point)....

    BD Bike specs

    Shimano 453 FD specs
    Giant OCR C2
    Fuji Cross Pro
    Scattante 650-R
    '06 Kona Jake the Snake - back to stock, and up for sale.

  10. #10
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kokomo61
    Thanks for all the replies so far.......here's some more info:

    The 50T size is dictated by....the front derailleur....which is dictated by....the shifters.


    The Shimano R-660 shifters are compatible with the 443/453 series front derailleurs, which have a 50T limitation (at least according to Shimano).
    Actually all Shimano flat-bar shifters are compatible with that excellent front derailer.

    I'm guessing you haven't actually tried this, just given up on the basis of Shimano's marketing materials. Big ring size is important in choosing a front derailer, but I've never known a mismatch as small as two teeth to be a problem in practice.

    See: http://sheldonbrown.com/capacity

    Sheldon "Imaginary Problem" Brown
    Code:
    +-------------------------------------------------------+
    |   Whether you think that you can, or that you can't,  |
    |                you are usually right."                |
    |                                   -- Henry Ford       |
    +-------------------------------------------------------+
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  11. #11
    Senior Member kokomo61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Herndon, VA
    My Bikes
    Giant OCR C2, Kona Jake the Snake, Scattante 650-R
    Posts
    895
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Sheldon - I guess what I'll do is this:

    1) Get the proper size band clamp for my FD (The Trek hybrids have a fairly think aluminum post - would I go for the 34.9?)
    2) Take the old shifters, wheels, chain, RD and FD off
    3) Install the new shifters, RD, FD, chain and new rear wheel/cassette
    4) See if I have any problems in shifting
    5) If so, swap out the 52T for a 50T outer chainring (will the 105 50T 5600 chainring fit the 5503 crankset?)
    6) If that doesn't work, take it to a real mechanic who'll bail me out of the mess I've created.....
    Giant OCR C2
    Fuji Cross Pro
    Scattante 650-R
    '06 Kona Jake the Snake - back to stock, and up for sale.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •