Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
Results 176 to 200 of 499
  1. #176
    headtube. zzyzx_xyzzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    804
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've levered a stubborn tire on the rim and are about to inflate it when you notice the tube is misaligned so the valve stem is canted over at an angle -- and grabbing and pulling on the tire doesn't seem to help.

    Put the wheel back on the bike completely deflated, spin it up by hand as fast as you can in the direction the valve is pointed, then grab the brakes so the wheel stops suddenly. Repeat a few times and the valve will be aligned.

  2. #177
    Old fart JohnDThompson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Appleton WI
    My Bikes
    Several, mostly not name brands.
    Posts
    12,353
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zzyzx_xyzzy View Post
    You've levered a stubborn tire on the rim and are about to inflate it when you notice the tube is misaligned so the valve stem is canted over at an angle -- and grabbing and pulling on the tire doesn't seem to help.

    Put the wheel back on the bike completely deflated, spin it up by hand as fast as you can in the direction the valve is pointed, then grab the brakes so the wheel stops suddenly. Repeat a few times and the valve will be aligned.
    Works best if you remembered to use talc on the tire/tube before installation.

  3. #178
    thanks Karl Von Draise
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Eugene, Oregon
    My Bikes
    2004 giant iguana, 1993 Custom Steel Mikkelesen frame w/Campagnolo C-record, 2009 Trek Soho
    Posts
    26
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dont throw anthing away before you know you can get are placement

  4. #179
    Senior Member gavtatu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    the original jersey
    My Bikes
    lowracer, highracer, moving bottom bracket, 2 tall bikesl
    Posts
    286
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont tell the wife this, but as most of what i use is from the scrapyard, i chuck all bits i can fit, in the dishwasher!

  5. #180
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    168
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To cut brake and der. cables:

    Use a Hammer and a sharp chisel. Lay the cable on another hammer/piece of hard metal. etc. Hold chisel where you want it cut and ...wackkkk with the hammer. This actually cuts the cable very well!

  6. #181
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,799
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KDTX View Post
    To cut brake and der. cables:

    Use a Hammer and a sharp chisel. Lay the cable on another hammer/piece of hard metal. etc. Hold chisel where you want it cut and ...wackkkk with the hammer. This actually cuts the cable very well!
    I do most of my cable cutting with the cable in the housing on the bike. Can I use the frame as a back stop for the chisel?

  7. #182
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    France
    My Bikes
    GT, Rockhopper & Orbit Silver Medal (brit)
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Regarding using the frame as a back stop when cable cutting with a hammer and chisel, I once drilled an extra hole in a mudguard (fender?) with everything in situ and put the bloody drill straight through the tyre. Such stupidity isn't within the grasp of everybody.

  8. #183
    Member pac819's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    sydney australia
    My Bikes
    colnago master olympic, fondriest tf1
    Posts
    30
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol in the dishwasher haha!

  9. #184
    Senior Member lusterwand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    double duty

    That splined BB remover can be held in place with the threaded driver from your chain tool.
    Check thread compatibility first, wont work with short chaindriver / axle combos.
    It doesnt grab deep but a couple of turns is all you need to hold it on and allow purchase on those stubborn (particularly drive side) fixed cups.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  10. #185
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    France
    My Bikes
    GT, Rockhopper & Orbit Silver Medal (brit)
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lusterwand View Post
    That splined BB remover can be held in place with the threaded driver from your chain tool.
    Check thread compatibility first, wont work with short chaindriver / axle combos.
    It doesnt grab deep but a couple of turns is all you need to hold it on and allow purchase on those stubborn (particularly drive side) fixed cups.
    Am I missing something here? Surely, once you have the cranks off, all you need do is hold the bb tool in place by loosely reattaching the crank bolts? You have to keep loosening the bolt as the bb tool moves the bottom bracket out.

  11. #186
    Senior Member lusterwand's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    65
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the BB tool shown, crank bolts arent long enough reach the axle.

  12. #187
    Pleasurable Pain greyghost_6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Bloomington, IN
    My Bikes
    Voodoo Rada, Voodoo Wazoo, Smith & Wesson Tactical,
    Posts
    348
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use your fingers to get nuts and bolts started, then use the wrench to tighten. Works every time.
    I had to re-learn how to walk once, but never needed to re-learn how to ride a bike. Cyclist for life.

  13. #188
    Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Cape Cod, MA.
    My Bikes
    Bianchis, Litespeed
    Posts
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Try Lemon (or any of the other flavors) Pledge sprayed on a cleanish rag for a quik bike cleanup. It will clean as it protects.
    I also use it on my fishing rods several times a year.

  14. #189
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Pasadena, CA
    My Bikes
    1995 Cannondale R500 2010 Specialized Tarmac Comp
    Posts
    60
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My trunk rack (for three bikes) doubles as a repair stand

  15. #190
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    486
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lusterwand View Post
    That splined BB remover can be held in place with the threaded driver from your chain tool.
    Check thread compatibility first, wont work with short chaindriver / axle combos.
    It doesnt grab deep but a couple of turns is all you need to hold it on and allow purchase on those stubborn (particularly drive side) fixed cups.
    Here's another way : You can also use a QR skewer + a washer to hold it in place, putting it all the way thru the axle! Also a G-Clamp works well but not everyone has one of these.

  16. #191
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    46
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A little trick that I found handy when fix'n friends' bikes that required tools that I didn't need for my family's bikes was to buy them- not from my LBS - but from one of those faceless corporate uber stores w/ a no-questions-asked return policy. That way, when I'm done with the tool, I just return it for my $ back or trade it for an other tool that I need for an other freind's bike.

  17. #192
    Large Member Geordi Laforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1,497
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0speedbike View Post
    A little trick that I found handy when fix'n friends' bikes that required tools that I didn't need for my family's bikes was to buy them- not from my LBS - but from one of those faceless corporate uber stores w/ a no-questions-asked return policy. That way, when I'm done with the tool, I just return it for my $ back or trade it for an other tool that I need for an other freind's bike.
    more often than not, when a customer returns an item to a big chain store, the item is shipped across the country to a service hub where the item is inspected or refurbished and then shipped back to a store. But more often, the item is simply disposed of "properly" at the service hub to avoid liability or QC problems. So, by returning that $15 chain whip that you think you'll only use once, it gets shipped all around wasting fuel and then destroyed and thrown into a dumpster bound for a landfill.

    Seems awfully wasteful when you could just purchase the tool once and add to your collection and not have to run around scamming retail stores to save a few bucks.

  18. #193
    My bike's better than me! neil0502's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    My Bikes
    (2) Moots Vamoots, (1) Cannondale T2000 tourer, (1) Diamondback Response Comp mtb
    Posts
    2,041
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geordi Laforge View Post
    Seems awfully wasteful when you could just purchase the tool once and
    add to your collection and not have to run around scamming retail stores to save a few bucks.
    Well said.

  19. #194
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    France
    My Bikes
    GT, Rockhopper & Orbit Silver Medal (brit)
    Posts
    13
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scamming retail stores to save a few bucks. Quite sad, really, although I imagine the morality issue is of no concern to someone mean enough to "peel a fart", as my grandfather used to say.

  20. #195
    Senior Member Joshua A.C. New's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a strong suspicion that such tools are not reinspected, given the quality of the products in the first place.
    Joshua A.C. Newman,
    Passionate lover of construction

  21. #196
    Senior Member Chop61's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    My Bikes
    Pinarello Road, Surly LHT, Dolan Track, Fuji Supreme, Guru Ti Tri, Bamboo
    Posts
    224
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When trying to pinpoint noise when the bike is on a repair stand, I'll use the empty spool from a roll of paper towels. I'll hold it up to my ear and point the other end to the part on the bike where I think the noise is coming from. It really does help, though it seems pretty stupid after typing it up here.
    When I was young I prayed to God for a new bike. Then I figured out God didn't work that way, so I stole one and prayed for forgiveness.

  22. #197
    Elitist Troglodyte DMF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Dallas
    My Bikes
    03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
    Posts
    6,887
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chop61 View Post
    When trying to pinpoint noise when the bike is on a repair stand, I'll use the empty spool from a roll of paper towels. I'll hold it up to my ear and point the other end to the part on the bike where I think the noise is coming from. It really does help, though it seems pretty stupid after typing it up here.
    Not stupid; it's an excellent trick. I use it ferreting out sounds in a high-noise environment, like when adjusting solid lifter valves on cars (remember those?). On bikes, though, I haven't found much need.

    I wonder could it be adapted somehow for those only-when-riding noises? Maybe tape it to the end of a bearing stethoscope? Hmm. Now that I think about it, my bearing stethoscope has a diaphragm above the probe that is just about the same size as a paper towel tube.


    Dibs on the patent!
    Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

    - Will Rogers

  23. #198
    Senior Member Joshua A.C. New's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Northampton, MA
    My Bikes
    Iron Monkey: a junkyard steel 26" slick-tired city bike. Grey Fox: A Trek 7x00 frame, painted, with everything built, from spokes up. Jet Jaguar: A 92 Cannondale R900 frame, powder coated matte black with red and aluminum highlights.
    Posts
    957
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dibs on the paAWWW.
    Joshua A.C. Newman,
    Passionate lover of construction

  24. #199
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    81
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have concerted several vertical drop out bikes very successfully to ss---be a tiny bit flexible with your ratio AND buy the magical half link !!

  25. #200
    Senior Member jackklas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    87
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT TECHNIQUES

    Youtube has "how to" videos on almost every aspect of bicycle mechanics. Great resource!

    Respectfully
    Jack

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •