Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-19-07, 10:14 AM   #1
jberenyi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jberenyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: West Haven, Utah
Bikes: Lynskey Level 3 Custom, De Bernardi SLX, Felt F1C, Burley Duet Tandem
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ultimate Elite Repair Stand Sucks

I have owned the Ultimate Elite repair stand now for about 2 months. I am puzzled by the amount of glowing reviews over this product when mine does not reflect the same. Everytime I mount my bike in the clamp it droops downward causing the bike to canter inward to the stand. You can actually see the clamp head sag downward as soon as you clamp in the bike and tighten the head. I have tried everything to keep the bike perpendicular to the ground and nothing helps. Upon further inspection of the design I noticed that the clutch cup (silver trunnion) seats in a nylon assembly but never fully seats. In fact you can canter the head in any direction because of this and no matter how hard you tighten the assembly it will not seat. Due to this design its no wonder that when a bike is clamped in place it will droop. I called Ultimate and they agreed with my finding. It is by design that the head canters because the clutch cap if fully seated during tightening may not loosen when you want to remove the bike. Well I off to find another bike stand and sell this one. I can't fathom spending $200 for a bike stand that will not keep my bike perpendicular to the ground.
jberenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 10:28 AM   #2
wrobertdavis
Senior Member
 
wrobertdavis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Houston, Tx
Bikes: Cervelo R3, Surly LHT, Miyata Triplecross setup for commuting, Miyata 914, Univega Sprint
Posts: 884
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post
I have owned the Ultimate Elite repair stand now for about 2 months. I am puzzled by the amount of glowing reviews over this product when mine does not reflect the same. Everytime I mount my bike in the clamp it droops downward causing the bike to canter inward to the stand. You can actually see the clamp head sag downward as soon as you clamp in the bike and tighten the head. I have tried everything to keep the bike perpendicular to the ground and nothing helps. Upon further inspection of the design I noticed that the clutch cup (silver trunnion) seats in a nylon assembly but never fully seats. In fact you can canter the head in any direction because of this and no matter how hard you tighten the assembly it will not seat. Due to this design its no wonder that when a bike is clamped in place it will droop. I called Ultimate and they agreed with my finding. It is by design that the head canters because the clutch cap if fully seated during tightening may not loosen when you want to remove the bike. Well I off to find another bike stand and sell this one. I can't fathom spending $200 for a bike stand that will not keep my bike perpendicular to the ground.
If you don't mind the weight (all steel), the Wrench Force Classic Repair stand is exceptionally sturdy and allows me to set the bike at any angle, including upside down and it holds its position. I bought mine at a local Trek dealer for $149.

Bob
wrobertdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 10:38 AM   #3
jberenyi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jberenyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: West Haven, Utah
Bikes: Lynskey Level 3 Custom, De Bernardi SLX, Felt F1C, Burley Duet Tandem
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Keep in mind everyone, I don't think all the Elite Stands suck...just mine. Yours may be better and mine could be defective. Ultimate is working with me right now to rectify the situation. They have great customer support.
jberenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 10:45 AM   #4
Grand Bois
Senior Member
 
Grand Bois's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Pinole, CA, USA
Bikes:
Posts: 16,552
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
I always recommend the Park PCS-4. It's almost as stable as a shop stand, has the good clamp, yet it's easy to move out of the way when my daughter insists on parking her car in the garage. Cheap stands are no bargain.
Grand Bois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 10:56 AM   #5
DScott
It's ALL base...
 
DScott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 6,716
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got that same Ultimate stand, and notice the arm does "droop" a bit, but it's because it sits slightly off. It's rock solid, and can't move when tightened normally. IOW, there's no play, it's just a little crooked. A bit annoying, but I don't think it affects how it functions, for me.

What I have noticed is the red clamp release button sticks when closed tight, and takes either a very sharp wack to get it to let go. That, or I have to manually loosen the clamp a bit before it's easy to release.

Does yours let go easily?
DScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:01 AM   #6
jberenyi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jberenyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: West Haven, Utah
Bikes: Lynskey Level 3 Custom, De Bernardi SLX, Felt F1C, Burley Duet Tandem
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DScott View Post
Does yours let go easily?
No. Not when its tight. I have to whack too. Looks like they all droop. That sucks. The drooping will have a greater affect on your handlebars swinging into the frame. Thats what I don't like about it. Plus the drooping affect contributes to instability of the stand. This doesn't look good for the Elite stand
jberenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:13 AM   #7
hr2510
Senior Member
 
hr2510's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes:
Posts: 129
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I fail to see a need for any stand besides a kick stand. I've completely refurbished 2 MTB's and a tandem in the last couple of weeks and never saw a need for one. If I need to work on the bottom for wheels,chains,derailers, BB's etc I simply flip the bike upside down and sit in my comfy lawn chair and go to work. Same with the top side...put it on the kick stand, sit in the same comfy lawn chair and do the maintenance/repair/adjustment. The hand full of tools needed to completely strip a bike to the bare frame fit on a small patio type table which leaves room on the other side of the lawn chair for a ice chest. Now on the other hand.... I can't figure out why some makers not only don't put a kick stand on a bike but don't even weld a bracket to the frame so you can mount one if you wanted to. It's a easy fix but would still be nice if they at least welded a bracket on.
hr2510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:24 AM   #8
jberenyi
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
jberenyi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: West Haven, Utah
Bikes: Lynskey Level 3 Custom, De Bernardi SLX, Felt F1C, Burley Duet Tandem
Posts: 504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hr2510 View Post
I fail to see a need for any stand besides a kick stand. I've completely refurbished 2 MTB's and a tandem in the last couple of weeks and never saw a need for one. If I need to work on the bottom for wheels,chains,derailers, BB's etc I simply flip the bike upside down and sit in my comfy lawn chair and go to work. Same with the top side...put it on the kick stand, sit in the same comfy lawn chair and do the maintenance/repair/adjustment. The hand full of tools needed to completely strip a bike to the bare frame fit on a small patio type table which leaves room on the other side of the lawn chair for a ice chest. Now on the other hand.... I can't figure out why some makers not only don't put a kick stand on a bike but don't even weld a bracket to the frame so you can mount one if you wanted to. It's a easy fix but would still be nice if they at least welded a bracket on.
You forgot to preface "You might be a Redneck if..."
jberenyi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:33 AM   #9
roadfix
hello
 
roadfix's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Los Angeles
Bikes:
Posts: 18,556
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hr2510 View Post
I fail to see a need for any stand besides a kick stand. If I need to work on the bottom for wheels,chains,derailers, BB's etc I simply flip the bike upside down and sit in my comfy lawn chair and go to work. Same with the top side...put it on the kick stand, sit in the same comfy lawn chair and do the maintenance/repair/adjustment.
I think most of us prefer to work on bikes while standing.
roadfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 11:36 AM   #10
Jeprox
MTWThFMuter
 
Jeprox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: SFOBayArea, CA
Bikes: schwinn, raleigh, 'dale, litespeed, bianchi, surly, novara
Posts: 454
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had this, for over 2 years now, and not a problem. (I hope I did not jinx myself for saying so.)
Jeprox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 12:44 PM   #11
oilman_15106
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 6,900
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Like mine alot. How heavy is your bike?
oilman_15106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 12:51 PM   #12
55-11
Seņor Cardgage Member
 
55-11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Bikes:
Posts: 348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post
You forgot to preface "You might be a Redneck if..."
until I
55-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 01:05 PM   #13
Proximo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Bikes:
Posts: 750
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post
Keep in mind everyone, I don't think all the Elite Stands suck...just mine. Yours may be better and mine could be defective. Ultimate is working with me right now to rectify the situation. They have great customer support.
Perhaps you should have prefixed the thread title with "My".

Something isn't right with your stand. Mine doesn't droop at all, or if it does it's so small an amount that I never notice.
Proximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 01:46 PM   #14
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post
I have owned the Ultimate Elite repair stand now for about 2 months. I am puzzled by the amount of glowing reviews over this product when mine does not reflect the same. Everytime I mount my bike in the clamp it droops downward causing the bike to canter inward to the stand. You can actually see the clamp head sag downward as soon as you clamp in the bike and tighten the head. I have tried everything to keep the bike perpendicular to the ground and nothing helps. Upon further inspection of the design I noticed that the clutch cup (silver trunnion) seats in a nylon assembly but never fully seats. In fact you can canter the head in any direction because of this and no matter how hard you tighten the assembly it will not seat. Due to this design its no wonder that when a bike is clamped in place it will droop. I called Ultimate and they agreed with my finding. It is by design that the head canters because the clutch cap if fully seated during tightening may not loosen when you want to remove the bike. Well I off to find another bike stand and sell this one. I can't fathom spending $200 for a bike stand that will not keep my bike perpendicular to the ground.
Please see my reply to your other post here:

Ultimate Elite Repair Stand Comments

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 01:47 PM   #15
bac
Senior Member
 
bac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Pennsylvania
Bikes: Too many to list!
Posts: 7,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeprox View Post
I have had this, for over 2 years now, and not a problem. (I hope I did not jinx myself for saying so.)
YUP! You have an Ultimate with a clamp (must be old style) like mine. It never slips.

... Brad
bac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 04:00 PM   #16
stringbreaker
stringbreaker
 
stringbreaker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: wa. State
Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)
Posts: 4,443
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I like the Park PS 9 I got a heck of a deal on it and it sure makes things easy. I like being able to turn the bike any way to get at areas easier.
stringbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 04:16 PM   #17
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte
 
DMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas
Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
Posts: 6,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do I need two stands to work on a tandem?
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

- Will Rogers
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 05:38 PM   #18
Owner
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Bikes: a green one and a black one
Posts: 230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jberenyi View Post
Keep in mind everyone, I don't think all the Elite Stands suck...just mine. Yours may be better and mine could be defective. Ultimate is working with me right now to rectify the situation. They have great customer support.
I think it's the design. I don't have the Elite, but I think that just means I have a crummier clamp. The arm holding the clamp droops. I don't see how it can't droop, given the design.
Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 06:16 PM   #19
lopsided
Two at a time is more fun
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Transplanted to OK
Bikes: 2006 Burley Tosa
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF View Post
Do I need two stands to work on a tandem?
My Ultimate BR-80T handles my tandem just fine, with no droop I might add.
__________________
Out of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.
lopsided is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-07, 07:50 PM   #20
mblk6062
El Capitan
 
mblk6062's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Seabrook, Texas
Bikes: 2007 Specialized Roubaix
Posts: 61
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've had the USS Sport Mechanic stand (newest model) for about a month now (had to buy it when someone stole my lawn chair!)

I couldn't be happier with it - holds my bike perfectly stable in all positions and is super easy to transport, set-up and use. It has a great clamping mechanism as well.

If you get a handlebar holder like the Flop-Stopper you won't have to worry about the bars swinging around.
mblk6062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:42 AM.