Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-23-07, 09:40 AM   #1
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Help! Chain caught between frame/ring underneath BB...

I was going up an ascent when I went to shift from the small ring to the middle ring and the derailler failed to move the chain. Instead, even though it was a full "pull" it just "trimmmed." So i dropped the derailler back down to the small ring and then as I went to shift back up the chain got wedged between the fram and the small ring underneath the bottom bracket. I have no idea how it got there.

How does this happen? (I need to know so i can fix it and make sure it doesn't happen again) It got wedged so badly that it completely bent/twisted the chain link and scratched the heck out of my frame.
donrhummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 09:53 AM   #2
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is definitely very annoying. Chances are your front derailer limit screws are adjusted wrong. Check out Sheldon Brown's guide to derailer adjustment: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 10:33 AM   #3
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxfyre View Post
This is definitely very annoying. Chances are your front derailer limit screws are adjusted wrong. Check out Sheldon Brown's guide to derailer adjustment: http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer-adjustment.html
Thanks. I thought it might be that but it didn't drop off on top, only underneath. That's why I'm a bit confused by it and not sure that's the only cause.
donrhummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 10:49 AM   #4
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
Thanks. I thought it might be that but it didn't drop off on top, only underneath. That's why I'm a bit confused by it and not sure that's the only cause.
When you say it didn't drop off on top, only underneath... do you mean that the part of the chain on the *top* of the chainring stayed on, while the part on the *bottom* of the chainring fell off?

If so, that's really strange! The only thing I can think of is a bent chainring...
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 11:24 AM   #5
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxfyre View Post
When you say it didn't drop off on top, only underneath... do you mean that the part of the chain on the *top* of the chainring stayed on, while the part on the *bottom* of the chainring fell off?

If so, that's really strange! The only thing I can think of is a bent chainring...
It was like this:

The chain on top of the chainring stayed on the chainring and underneath the chainring the chain got sucked in between the frame and the chainring.

Sort of like this:
donrhummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 11:53 AM   #6
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
It was like this:

The chain on top of the chainring stayed on the chainring and underneath the chainring the chain got sucked in between the frame and the chainring.
I see two possibilities now: bent chainring, or slack chain.

If the chainring is bent, the chain may slip off the bottom of the chainring, while the correctly-adjusted front derailer prevents the chain from falling off the top. Check if there's more than one or two mm of wobble in that chainring (you may be able to bend it back, see Sheldon's site for tips).

The other possibility is that the chain has too much slack in it (perhaps it is too long, or the rear derailer does not have enough capacity to take up the slack). The part of the chain between the bottom of the chainring and the bottom pulley of the rear derailer is not under stress from pedaling, so if the derailer spring doesn't pull on it enough, the chain may go slack and it can simply "bounce" off of the bottom of the chainring. To check this, try shifting between the gear combination where you had a problem, and a larger chainring. Feel the tension in the bottom of the chain by hand. Does the rear derailer maintain adequate tension even with the small chainring?
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:23 PM   #7
truckin
road rash/tree burn
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Chapel Hill, NC
Bikes:
Posts: 726
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any chance you backpedaled, even just a tiny bit, while the chain was shifting back and forth? That could explain it staying on the top of the chainring while derailing underneath. If you then pedaled forward again, it could have pulled the chain taut on the bottom and jammed it as you describe. If not that, beats me- that's all I can think of at the moment.
truckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 01:41 PM   #8
donrhummy
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
donrhummy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 3,481
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin View Post
Any chance you backpedaled, even just a tiny bit, while the chain was shifting back and forth? That could explain it staying on the top of the chainring while derailing underneath. If you then pedaled forward again, it could have pulled the chain taut on the bottom and jammed it as you describe. If not that, beats me- that's all I can think of at the moment.
Hmmm. I don't think so, but it is possible.

I think it's also possible that the rear derailler's not tight enough. i know it's not a too-long-chain as I took off links when I bought it to make sure it was the right length. The chainring isn't bent (even after this) as far as I can tell. Took the chain off and looked at it and it looks fine.
donrhummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-07, 02:01 PM   #9
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...
 
moxfyre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: DC / Maryland suburbs
Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo
Posts: 4,166
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by donrhummy View Post
I think it's also possible that the rear derailler's not tight enough. i know it's not a too-long-chain as I took off links when I bought it to make sure it was the right length. The chainring isn't bent (even after this) as far as I can tell. Took the chain off and looked at it and it looks fine.
Hmmm. Possibly a rusty derailer spring? Or maybe the pivots just need a drop of oil?
moxfyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:33 PM.