Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Cries on hills supton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central NH
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1995 Gary Fisher Avantage, 1985 Panasonic Sport 1000, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5
    Posts
    873
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Rim Tape versus Rim Strip

    I presume that rim tape (Velox) are somehow better than rim strips, but just how are they better? I tried Velox (well, it's still on there), but it seemed like a fair amount more work than just putting on a rubber rim strip--it didn't want to sit flat over the spoke nipples. In fairness, this is an older rim, probably 20 years old, a 27x1 1/4, so maybe wrong tape? Anyhow, what's the diff?
    '07 Trek Pilot 1.2
    '85 Panasonic Sport 1000 (beater, gone now)
    '69 Raleigh Sprite 5 speed (AW instead of S5, for now)

  2. #2
    30 YR Wrench BikeWise1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Oxford, OH
    My Bikes
    Waterford R-33, Madone 6.5, Trek 520
    Posts
    2,003
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supton View Post
    I presume that rim tape (Velox) are somehow better than rim strips, but just how are they better? I tried Velox (well, it's still on there), but it seemed like a fair amount more work than just putting on a rubber rim strip--it didn't want to sit flat over the spoke nipples. In fairness, this is an older rim, probably 20 years old, a 27x1 1/4, so maybe wrong tape? Anyhow, what's the diff?
    Generally speaking, cheap rubber rimstrips work fine in single-wall rims where, as you noted, the spoke nipples protrude. Rim tape, i.e. Velox, et. al., are generally used when the rim is a double wall or box section design to prevent the air pressure from blowing the tube down into the eyelet and causing a flat. Rubber strips aren't strong enough to support the tube properly in a box section rim.

  3. #3
    Cries on hills supton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Central NH
    My Bikes
    2007 Trek Pilot 1.2, 1995 Gary Fisher Avantage, 1985 Panasonic Sport 1000, 1969 Raleigh Sprite 5
    Posts
    873
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.
    '07 Trek Pilot 1.2
    '85 Panasonic Sport 1000 (beater, gone now)
    '69 Raleigh Sprite 5 speed (AW instead of S5, for now)

  4. #4
    In beaurocratic limbo urbanknight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    My Bikes
    Specialized Allez, K2 Razorback
    Posts
    22,457
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tape stays in place, while strips can often move around (especially while changing tubes) giving way to the spoke holes. Furthermore, plastic rim strips and some rubber ones rot over time and crack.
    "Well, I guess you can cut the arts as much as you want... Sooner or later, these kids aren't going to have anything to read or write about." (Richard Dreyfus as Glenn Holland)

  5. #5
    me have long head tube TallRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    4,097
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    but cheap rubber rim strips aren't the only rim strips in town. I've used polyurethane rim strips (designed for double-wall rims) and rim tape, and the rim strips are lighter and easier to remove and re-use. rim tape has a retro-ish snob factor, but I don't see its advantages.

    example

  6. #6
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rim tape is one of the few places in bicycling where buying the "good stuff" is only going to cost you about $7. I usually go with Velox.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    3,192
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Velo plugs. bk

  8. #8
    Klaatu barada nikto cascade168's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southern NH
    Posts
    1,453
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by barba View Post
    Rim tape is one of the few places in bicycling where buying the "good stuff" is only going to cost you about $7. I usually go with Velox.
    You should think about finding another source for your Velox that's not gouging you. $5 for Velox is stupid.

    Try these guys for $2.70 :

    http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...&item_id=VE-51
    "Work is the curse of the drinking class."
    - Oscar Wilde

  9. #9
    Senior Member barba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    4,083
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cascade168 View Post
    You should think about finding another source for your Velox that's not gouging you. $5 for Velox is stupid.

    Try these guys for $2.70 :

    http://biketoolsetc.com/index.cgi?id...&item_id=VE-51
    I pay $3.50 a roll at the LBS, and I don't have to pay shipping. With shipping, two rolls from your link would cost $11.40 and take 5-10 days to get to me. Sometimes mail order is not your best choice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •