Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-17-07, 02:27 PM   #1
tahoedan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Needing Help with Component Compatibility for Light Touring

I am in the process of converting my road bike into a light touring/hilly century bike. And I think I know what components I want I just wanted to double check on compatibility. Here is a list of the components that I plan on using:

Brifters: Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed Triple (6603)
Cranks: Sugino XD600 Triple 48/36/26
Front Derailleur: IRD Alpina
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX M580 Long Cage
Cassette: IRD Elite 10 Speed 12-32
Chain: Shimano Ultegra 10 Speed

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
tahoedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 03:03 PM   #2
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte
 
DMF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Dallas
Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)
Posts: 6,924
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Give it up now and don't torture yourself (and us).
__________________
Stupidity got us into this mess - why can't it get us out?

- Will Rogers
DMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 05:15 PM   #3
HillRider 
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Bikes: '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
Posts: 29,108
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Sounds good. Everything should work together properly.
HillRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 05:18 PM   #4
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
I agree with Hillrider. The only thing that's questionable in my mind are the cranks, the spacing between the chainrings might be too wide for the extremely narrow 10 speed chain. But I have no experience with 10 speed stuff, so it may be a non-issue. I can tell you for sure it would all work perfectly in a nine speed configuration. If you went nine speed it would also be quite a bit cheaper-
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 06:20 PM   #5
tahoedan
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Bikes:
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked View Post
I agree with Hillrider. The only thing that's questionable in my mind are the cranks, the spacing between the chainrings might be too wide for the extremely narrow 10 speed chain. But I have no experience with 10 speed stuff, so it may be a non-issue. I can tell you for sure it would all work perfectly in a nine speed configuration. If you went nine speed it would also be quite a bit cheaper-
Thanks for the Reply. The only component that I currently have is the Shimano Ultegra 10 speed brifters. If I choose to go to a 9 speed system will the brifters work ok.
tahoedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 06:41 PM   #6
well biked 
biked well
 
well biked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Bikes:
Posts: 7,123
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoedan View Post
Thanks for the Reply. The only component that I currently have is the Shimano Ultegra 10 speed brifters. If I choose to go to a 9 speed system will the brifters work ok.
You could try this to make the 10 speed shifters work with the nine speed cassette:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#alternate

But honestly, since this is a new build, if you go nine speed I'd get nine speed shifters to match the cassette. Or stick with ten speed since you've already got the shifters. As I said, the 10 speed chain might not even be a problem, maybe someone who's done something similar can say whether it will work okay with the cranks.

But wow, for the gearing you're after, it can be had for so much cheaper with nine speed parts.
well biked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 09:02 PM   #7
Moose
mousse de chocolat
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio, USA
Bikes: Masi Speciale Fixed, Fuji America Fixed, "Modernized" Gitane
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by well biked View Post
You could try this to make the 10 speed shifters work with the nine speed cassette:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_aa-l.html#alternate

But honestly, since this is a new build, if you go nine speed I'd get nine speed shifters to match the cassette. Or stick with ten speed since you've already got the shifters. As I said, the 10 speed chain might not even be a problem, maybe someone who's done something similar can say whether it will work okay with the cranks.

But wow, for the gearing you're after, it can be had for so much cheaper with nine speed parts.
I have tried the alternate cable routing. It worked but was very finicky, it'd probably be more so with a wide range cassette but you never really know till you try. The only sure bet is to use matching shifters and cassette.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-07, 10:51 PM   #8
smurf hunter
Senior Member
 
smurf hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My road bike which I've taken on a handful of hilly centuries has a 10spd triple. The stock crank is 52/42/30 (if memory is correct). I don't anticipate your proposed setup would have problems.

26 tooth is a pretty low granny gear. What's your biggest rear cog going to be?

My daily commuter has a 28 tooth triple, is a heavier bike with racks/bags/fenders - unless I'm not feeling 100% or climbing double digit grades, my triple ring doesn't see much action.
smurf hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 06:47 AM   #9
Moose
mousse de chocolat
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio, USA
Bikes: Masi Speciale Fixed, Fuji America Fixed, "Modernized" Gitane
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't think the Sugino crank he is proposing is a 10 speed crank. Thus the concerns.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 08:16 AM   #10
smurf hunter
Senior Member
 
smurf hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Auburn, WA
Bikes: 2006 LeMond Croix de Fer, 2005 Kona Dew Deluxe
Posts: 622
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
I don't think the Sugino crank he is proposing is a 10 speed crank. Thus the concerns.
Good point, but as I understand Shimano, "10 speed" is an umbrella marketing term to indicate a generation of a product line. For example, external bearing BB (GXP or whatever) is part of a modern 10spd Shimano group. Same can be said for hubs. I've got a Dura-ace FB-7402 (8 speed hub) which I put a 10 spd cassette and use with my 10 speed 105 group.

Sometimes speeds matter, sometimes it's as trivial as color.
smurf hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 08:42 AM   #11
Moose
mousse de chocolat
 
Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Northeast Ohio, USA
Bikes: Masi Speciale Fixed, Fuji America Fixed, "Modernized" Gitane
Posts: 1,141
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
10 speed chain is very narrow. The Sugino 600 crank is, I believe, 8 speed (correct me if I'm wrong), which works fine for 9 speed but may be a stretch for 10. The chain can (and does, I've experienced it) get jammed between the rings.

Sometimes there is a difference.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:08 PM.