Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    74
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Confusion Shimano Octalink V1 and V@ with Ritchey Cranks

    Ok I am a little confused and need a little help. I am rebuilding a mid 80's Pinarello CX bike with Italian BB threading. I have found a BB. It is a Shimano Octalink V2 with the 9MM spline grooves. I ordered a Ritchey crank that is octalink compatable. However it does not say V1 or V2 - does it matter? Are V1 and V2 crank compatablity interchangable?

  2. #2
    uberNEWB dzinehaus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    My Bikes
    Haro V2 [rip / stolen], PEUGEOT '93 SELECT
    Posts
    542
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    no...
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_n-o.html#octalink

    in the image it looks like it would fit, but it doesn't, check the compatibility chart.
    Ask the people you ordered the crank from to find out if it is a v1 or v2. Wouldn't that be easier?
    Be Happy, Live Life, Be Strong ~j.michaud / dzinehaus

  3. #3
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skuda25 View Post
    Ok I am a little confused and need a little help. I am rebuilding a mid 80's Pinarello CX bike with Italian BB threading. I have found a BB. It is a Shimano Octalink V2 with the 9MM spline grooves. I ordered a Ritchey crank that is octalink compatable. However it does not say V1 or V2 - does it matter? Are V1 and V2 crank compatablity interchangable?
    The Ritchey "compact double" cranks we sell are V1.

    If it doesn't say, that's probably 'cause the instructions were sent to the printer before V2 came along.

    Sheldon "Ex-spline-ation" Brown
    (I'm particularly proud of this image. Actually, it is a composite...originally I didn't have ISIS in it, that was photographed on a separate occasion and then Photoshopped in.)
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,226
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Base on the photos it looks like:

    A V1 crank (105, Ultegra, XTR) would fit in a V2 spindle. It wouldn't go all the way down the splines but would go as far as it does on a V1 and should be secure.

    A V2 crank (XT, LX, etc.) would NOT work on a V1 spindle as the splines aren't long enough to allow the crank arms to seat fully.

    Is this correct?

  5. #5
    Small Member maddmaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    My Bikes
    Leader home built hardtail, Diamondback Response
    Posts
    7,069
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I do not think that you want to match V1 and V2 parts together. Thery are ment to bottom on the "ledge" at the base of the splines. If you do get a safe seat, it will not be at a specified length as with most BB/Crank setups.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My Bikes
    '''96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '12 Surly Pacer, All are 3x8,9 or 10. It is hilly around here!
    Posts
    25,226
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by maddmaxx View Post
    I do not think that you want to match V1 and V2 parts together. Thery are meant to bottom on the "ledge" at the base of the splines. If you do get a safe seat, it will not be at a specified length as with most BB/Crank setups.
    OK, I wasn't sure if they bottomed at the base of the splines or on a ledge at the front face of the crank arms. If they stop at the base of the splines they are really incompatible.

  7. #7
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HillRider View Post
    Base on the photos it looks like:

    A V1 crank (105, Ultegra, XTR) would fit in a V2 spindle. It wouldn't go all the way down the splines but would go as far as it does on a V1 and should be secure.

    A V2 crank (XT, LX, etc.) would NOT work on a V1 spindle as the splines aren't long enough to allow the crank arms to seat fully.

    Is this correct?
    I don't think so. I believe the splines on the V2 spindle are a skosh wider than those of the V1.

    Sheldon "Not Likely" Brown
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •