Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Senior Member DLBroox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    how do you actually count spoke threads

    I know, you look at them.

    But what I'm really asking is this. People have varied amounts of threads that should be showing when you first begin to tension the wheel. One says tighten until you don't see the threads, one says tighten until five are showing, one suggests tightening until two show.

    When I tightened up to the last thread, the wheel started out too tight according to my tensiometer.

    Leaving five seems like a lot of extra work, so I'd like to try two.

    But how can you really tell that only two threads are exposed? For me, it's very hard to see. Is there some trick to it? Or do I need reading glasses and that's my problem!? Or am I being too literal expecting to actually get them that close?

  2. #2
    Non Tribuo Anus Rodentum and off to the next adventure (RIP) Stacey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Posts
    9,163
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of a thread count, try a distance... two or three mm's would be a good starting point. For me the distance is easier to judge than counting threads.

  3. #3
    Senior Member DLBroox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, that's good. I never thought of that. And I just tried it and got a lot closer to true than I was a minute ago.

  4. #4
    Mechanic/Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
    Posts
    4,780
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can also just turn until the threads disappear and then back off one rev per thread to show.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Kentwood michigan.
    My Bikes
    too many
    Posts
    484
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't count the threads, I simply run the nipples in untill I have the same torque all around then proceed from there.

    seen too many 'identical' spokes that had slight variations in them to worry about the visible threads, and you're going to be turning them all various amounts anyway.

    I have a small 'torque' driver that I made for starting out, vary tension on it by a small set screw and snug the nipples from the tire side, when it slips the nipples have the same tension. normally gets everything in proper alignment so all I have to do is some minor tweaking to get it perfect.

    Ken.

  6. #6
    Senior Member DLBroox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Miami, FL
    My Bikes
    Bianchi San Jose, Dahon Curve D3
    Posts
    577
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kendall View Post

    I have a small 'torque' driver that I made for starting out, vary tension on it by a small set screw and snug the nipples from the tire side, when it slips the nipples have the same tension. normally gets everything in proper alignment so all I have to do is some minor tweaking to get it perfect.

    Ken.
    Do you have a picture of this or instructions on how you made it? Sounds interesting.

  7. #7
    Mechanic/Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
    Posts
    4,780
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kendall View Post
    I don't count the threads, I simply run the nipples in untill I have the same torque all around then proceed from there.

    seen too many 'identical' spokes that had slight variations in them to worry about the visible threads, and you're going to be turning them all various amounts anyway.

    I have a small 'torque' driver that I made for starting out, vary tension on it by a small set screw and snug the nipples from the tire side, when it slips the nipples have the same tension. normally gets everything in proper alignment so all I have to do is some minor tweaking to get it perfect.

    Ken.
    The OP was referred to "...when you first begin to tension the wheel." The spokes interact with each other as a unit so it is not possible to tension each one to the same tension when first starting. Until you are at least somewhat close to final tension one has to go around the entire wheel turning each spoke the same amount, so as to keep the wheel round and in approximately equal in tension.

  8. #8
    A little North of Hell
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    4,353
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLBroox View Post
    Do you have a picture of this or instructions on how you made it? Sounds interesting.
    Like this:

    http://www.biketoolsetc.com/index.cg...item_id=VR-266
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XXXI

  9. #9
    Mechanic/Tourist
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Syracuse, NY
    My Bikes
    2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Would have more bikes if I had time to ride them all. Previous bikes: 1968 Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fav), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.
    Posts
    4,780
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soil_Sampler View Post
    Note that the adjustment controls not tension directly but rather how far into the nipple the spoke is allowed to travel before it pushes on the tool's pin and thus moves the screwdriver bit off the nipple flats. Great for speeding up builds for someone who does it often but (in my opinion) not worth $30.00 to save a few minutes on one or two builds. You still have to know about how far you want the spokes to be into the nipples before starting serious tensioning, and it's more complicated when you have to take dish into consideration.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •