Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    carbon steerer vs alloy on road forks, thoughts?

    i just bought my first carbon fork. i wanted one with an alloy steerer but i went for the all carbon. anyone have any thoughts on carbon steerers. are they trouble some when tighteneing stems? fears of cracking steerer? or as i know one person the bung plug kept slipping up on his specialized. should i send it back and get alloy ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Montreal, Quebec
    My Bikes
    Litespeed Ultimate 2006, Litespeed Pisgah , Specialized Roubaix 2008, Trek Madone 2011
    Posts
    886
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I snapped off a carbon steerer when I pulled up on the bars to get going up a steep hill. The steerer snapped off at the stem.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Do be careful when tightening the stem. Like carbon seatposts, if you overtighten, they will crack.

    2. If you want to a few inches, or more of spacers, you should go with alloy. Carbon steerer tubes cannot have too much exposure above the head tube. For instance, Cannondale's forks with carbon steerer tubes, which probably match up with any on quality, specify no more than 40mm of spacers beneath the stem, and none over the stem. There's no such limitation on aluminum steerer tubes.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    2,012
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbon fiber forks are a finite component. You can enjoy a light product at the expense of saftey. For the price of the lightest Easton all carbon fork you could likely get a full custom titanium fork and not have to worry about cracking your fork. Friends don't let friends ride carbon. I don't care how good the lab results show carbon to be it is not a product that can be ridden the hell out of.

    To answer your question...Do not worry about having an all carbon steer. Use the recommended maximum amount of spacers and don't go beyond that. Be very careful when you clamp your stem, don't over do it. Have your LBS use a torque wrench if you don't have one.

    Ride and enjoy. Just remember that your carbon fork should not be ridden for 20+ years like a good old fashioned steel fork. On paper your carbon fork might exceed 200,000 cycles of fatigue but that means nothing considering general road wear and tear such as rocks/gravel flying up hitting the fork.

    Unless you have an electron microscope there is no accurate way to detect defects/structural damage in your carbon fork. It is your life go ahead and gamble it on a plastic fork.

  5. #5
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carbon scares me.

  6. #6
    Jet Jockey Banzai's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Leavenworth, KS
    My Bikes
    Cannondale CAAD9 SRAM Red, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame
    Posts
    4,009
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call me old fashioned, but I just can't see myself using a plastic steerer tube.

    If you do insist on using a plastic steerer, ensure that there is steerer protruding above the stem with a spacer to cap it off. Not doing so can result in the stem "pinching" assymetrically and crusing the top of your plastic steerer.
    Good night...and good luck

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    239
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    titanium fork????????

    where do i get a titanium 1 1/8 fork?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    196
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    Call me old fashioned, but I just can't see myself using a plastic steerer tube.

    If you do insist on using a plastic steerer, ensure that there is steerer protruding above the stem with a spacer to cap it off. Not doing so can result in the stem "pinching" assymetrically and crusing the top of your plastic steerer.
    Check the instructions and specifications on the fork you buy. Many warn against doing what is suggested above.

    Some fork manufacturers include a top cap, a portion of which protrudes into the steerer tube, which serves to support the area over which the stem is clamped, preventing crushing.

  9. #9
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS
    Posts
    8,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SoreFeet View Post
    Unless you have an electron microscope there is no accurate way to detect defects/structural damage in your carbon fork. It is your life go ahead and gamble it on a plastic fork.
    Bah!

    Yeah, and aluminium steerers never, ever shear, steel never fatigues and Ti never fails.

    I guess those guys at Airbus are really gonna get it when their new planes start falling from the sky. Or maybe they've hired a few hundred guys with electron microscopes to go over every inch of the plane every time someone drops a glass on the floor or bangs their luggage against something.

    I've raced on carbon for YEARS and, as long as you don't overtighten the stem, it will be fine. If you crash, like you would with ANY fork, you should look for gouges and cracks. If there is damage, you will hear it under load (kinda like aluminium when it is about to fail, non?)

  10. #10
    Senior Member z415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gainesville/Tampa, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.
    Posts
    2,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
    Carbon scares me.
    This is a little off topic, but I was reading Time magazine and there was an article about prosthetics for animals (dogs, kangaroos, elephants, etc.) in which it stated that carbon fiber is an excellent material to use for leg prosthetics for animals because it is bends,but doesn't break and retains its shape after flexing (in reference to a leg prosthetic for a kangaroo - Time also noted that the "famous" amputee athlete - runner, I guess - uses CF prosthetics for sports).

    Also I've heard CF is used in planes and space shuttles and such. I also remember the tensile strength numbers of carbon nanotubes (used in some bike stuff, I think) rivaling that of steel (from some show on Discovery Channel).

    Either the CF is grossly different for biking applications or us bikers are way wrong because CF scares me too.
    Falling is learning...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...learn to not fall in a box.
    Any good American will watch THIS -and- WHERE WAS MY BIKE MADE?

  11. #11
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS
    Posts
    8,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by z415 View Post
    This is a little off topic, but I was reading Time magazine and there was an article about prosthetics for animals (dogs, kangaroos, elephants, etc.) in which it stated that carbon fiber is an excellent material to use for leg prosthetics for animals because it is bends,but doesn't break and retains its shape after flexing (in reference to a leg prosthetic for a kangaroo - Time also noted that the "famous" amputee athlete - runner, I guess - uses CF prosthetics for sports).

    Also I've heard CF is used in planes and space shuttles and such. I also remember the tensile strength numbers of carbon nanotubes (used in some bike stuff, I think) rivaling that of steel (from some show on Discovery Channel).

    Either the CF is grossly different for biking applications or us bikers are way wrong because CF scares me too.
    Everything you mention is true. You can dictate the characteristics of the item you are building based on how you "lay up" the carbon layers. You can make something that flexes in one direction but won't flex at all in another. This is why it is particularly good for bikes. You can create something that is both stiff AND comfortable.

    The problem, for cycling, is that carbon tubes don't respond well to clamping (or crushing) forces so things like clamping a seatpost/stem/bar/fork can be problematic of they are over tightened. As long as you address this factor (which isn't hard to do) then carbon is very strong and durable.

  12. #12
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,298
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why do people ALWAYS bring up the airplane argument when talking about carbon. When the bicycle component industry is as scrutinized as the airline industry, please come back and talk to us.
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  13. #13
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS
    Posts
    8,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by operator View Post
    Why do people ALWAYS bring up the airplane argument when talking about carbon. When the bicycle component industry is as scrutinized as the airline industry, please come back and talk to us.
    When a bicycle undergoes the kind of stresses an aircraft does it will be worth the scrutiny.

    Meanwhile, I'm tired of people yelling that the sky is falling. There are millions of carbon parts in use right now. Today. Where are all these catastrophic failures I keep hearing people talk about?

  14. #14
    Luggite bsyptak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    1,907
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is the lightest carbon fork with aluminum steerer out there? I think the Ritchey Comp is 460g.

  15. #15
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How much lighter does a carbon steering tube actually make the fork? Is it really noticeable? I'm not talking grams either. If you are looking for peace of mind, why not use an aluminum steering tube.

    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  16. #16
    Sometimes knows stuff. rmfnla's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    La La Land (We love it!)
    My Bikes
    Gilmour road, Curtlo road
    Posts
    2,538
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AkAk2000 View Post
    Check the instructions and specifications on the fork you buy. Many warn against doing what is suggested above.

    Some fork manufacturers include a top cap, a portion of which protrudes into the steerer tube, which serves to support the area over which the stem is clamped, preventing crushing.
    A good steering tube plug will have that same portion so that when the stem is tightened the CF steering tube will be sandwiched between metal.

    I found some Weyless brand at Performance that work REALLY well and of course were on sale.
    Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...

  17. #17
    Light Makes Right GV27's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Green Mountain, Colorado
    My Bikes
    Gianni Motta Criterium, Dean Hardtail
    Posts
    1,521
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Absolutely. Carbon is not safe at all. It's only good for non-safety critical applications like commercial aircraft and Formula 1 cars.

  18. #18
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS
    Posts
    8,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    How much lighter does a carbon steering tube actually make the fork? Is it really noticeable? I'm not talking grams either. If you are looking for peace of mind, why not use an aluminum steering tube.
    I have complete piece of mind with the carbon forks I am using and have been for the last 10 years or so. I have that but not the 80-100 grams extra weight on my fork that an aluminium steerer would add.

  19. #19
    Senior Member z415's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Gainesville/Tampa, FL
    My Bikes
    Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.
    Posts
    2,347
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh on top of what I said earlier, I remember when I was a teen a couple of years ago and into those silly little street racing cars that there was this amazingly fast Mitsu Lancer EVO with the chassis entirely made of CF. I remember it crashed at a very high speed into whatever they use to to line up test tracks (hay stacks maybe?) and the car wasn't damaged that badly.
    Falling is learning...[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...learn to not fall in a box.
    Any good American will watch THIS -and- WHERE WAS MY BIKE MADE?

  20. #20
    outside agitator redmist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    LES
    Posts
    566
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GV27 View Post
    Absolutely. Carbon is not safe at all. It's only good for non-safety critical applications like commercial aircraft and Formula 1 cars.
    i'm no expert on carbon, but have you ever watched an F1 race? have you seen how the carbon front a-arms shatter when in an accident? in the old days, the steel and aluminum ones would bent while carbon tends to shatter into a million little pieces. why? carbon fibre can take a much higher stress load than steel and aluminum, but only in certain directions. in a F1 car, the forces that act on the a-arms are vertical loads, (picture the capital letter A with a wheel at the top of the letter, that's a bird's eye view of the wheel and A-arm), and thus the carbon rods are made to endure high stress in that direction. when a car is involved in an accident, and forces are applied to that same wheel and a-arm in an horizontal direction, the carbon a-arms splinter into thousands of pieces as the carbon isn't made to handle stress applied in a horizontal direction.

    how this applies to bikes, i'm not really sure...

  21. #21
    coffeeeeee p4nh4ndle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    somewhere in Pennsyl-tucky
    My Bikes
    all that I ride
    Posts
    238
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bsyptak View Post
    What is the lightest carbon fork with aluminum steerer out there? I think the Ritchey Comp is 460g.

    I'd opt for Reynolds Ouzo Comp. It's the same as the Pro, but with and Al steerer; so it's better than rock solid?

    Weight shmeight

  22. #22
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS
    Posts
    8,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redmist View Post
    i'm no expert on carbon, but have you ever watched an F1 race? have you seen how the carbon front a-arms shatter when in an accident?...the carbon a-arms splinter into thousands of pieces as the carbon isn't made to handle stress applied in a horizontal direction.
    It's all in how you lay it up. You can decide which way you want the carbon to flex and which way you want it not to flex. You can make it so that it handles load in all the critical directions but fails (thereby dissipating energy) during an F1 crash so that is reduces the impact for the driver (kinda like a crumple zone in your car).

    For the bike industry, what you get from this is the ability to design a high modulus (stiff) frame that won't flex laterally under pedaling forces (at the BB and stays, for instance) but will be vertically compliant (at the seat stays, for example) thereby damping road shock and producing a more comfortable ride quality.

    The key in all of this is that the people making it have to know what they are doing. In the early years of mass produced carbon parts, there were fewer people (and companies) that did. Now, there are several companies that have lots of experience working with this material and have figured out how to best use it.

    These include, BTW, SEVERAL Taiwanese companies who also have production facilities in China. This includes Giant. Many of those carbon frames, forks and components (Scott, Willier, Kouta, Ritchey, Bontrager, Zipp, Specialized, litespeed, Cervelo and on and on) all come from these companies. So don't think it is only US and European companies that can make safe carbon.

    Finally, a rule of thumb if you are worried about the quality of the carbon product you are drooling over. If the deal seems too good, the product probably isn't. There is no such thing as a cheap carbon part, not if it is made right.

  23. #23
    cs1
    cs1 is offline
    Senior Member cs1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Clev Oh
    My Bikes
    Specialized, Schwinn
    Posts
    6,130
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
    I have complete piece of mind with the carbon forks I am using and have been for the last 10 years or so. I have that but not the 80-100 grams extra weight on my fork that an aluminium steerer would add.
    So you saved approx 3 ounces, maybe 4. How much faster did it make you?


    Tim
    1999 Waterford RSE-11, 1995 Waterford 1200, 1989 Specialized Rockhopper Comp
    1989 Raleigh Technium, 1989 Schwinn Traveler, 1986 Specialized Rockhopper
    1984 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Specialized Stumpjumper and just way too many projects to list.

  24. #24
    Mr. Dopolina Bob Dopolina's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Taiwan
    My Bikes
    KUUPAS
    Posts
    8,824
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    So you saved approx 3 ounces, maybe 4. How much faster did it make you?


    Tim
    Combined with all the other 1,2,3 or 4 oz savings very fast. So fast in fact, that I now carry a GPS with me because when I get to the top of a climb, I sometimes just keep going, up, up, up and often land several km away. The GPS comes in handy finding my way home.

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    1,616
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Dopolina View Post
    Combined with all the other 1,2,3 or 4 oz savings very fast. So fast in fact, that I now carry a GPS with me because when I get to the top of a climb, I sometimes just keep going, up, up, up and often land several km away. The GPS comes in handy finding my way home.
    But the extra weight of the GPS offsets the weight savings of the carbon steerer, so it's a wash. An expensive wash in fact.

    Bob
    Be the Bike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •