The bike in question can be seen here:
I purchased this bike for my GF and after several attempts, she does not feel comfortable at all having the brakes so far from the gear shifters. I purposed (instead of buying a brand new bike), converting the racing handles to a Flat Bar.
I'm not a bike mechanic, I'm a recreational biker, but I can work with tools well enough. My question being is something like this possible. The specifications for this bike are as followed:
* Frame: Aluminum 7005 straight gauge
* Fork: GMC Series 7000 steel
* Chain: KMC Z 51
* Crankset: Prowheel Alloy 335P6 28X38X48 170mm
* Front Derailleur: Shimano FD-TZ 31 Index
* Rear Derailleur: Shimano RD-TZ30GS 7SPD
* Shifters: Shimano Revo SIS L2/R7
* Brake levers: Promax BL-250AP Aluminum
* Brakes: Promax 501A Alloy Caliper Brake
* Rims: Vitesse Alloy black 700CX14GX36H
* Tires: Kenda Black With Grey Band 700X28C
* Stem: Aluminum black EXT:100mm 0D.
* Handlebar: Maesbend W: 430mm D:22.0mm
* Saddle: Cionlli Black
* Seat post: HL Aluminum Micro Adjust 27.2 X 300mm
* Pedals: VP-990S plastic body with steel cage
* Weight: 29.0 lbs
I'd prefer to keep the shifters if at all possible, considering the price to replace them. But I found a decently priced Flat Bar and inexpensive brakes that are compatible with Caliper Brakes, see them here.
Is this a hopeless dream to convert this bike, or is there a real possibility that I'll be able to do it?
Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.