Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-06-07, 05:12 PM   #1
Californian
Member
Thread Starter
 
Californian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sacamento, California
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How do I remove my shimano pedals?

I'm swapping my shimano (spd)? 105 pedals and replacing with speedplay zeros. I don't have the original box or packaging, and when I examine the pedals I see the logical bolt that I might loosen...but there's also a hex-nut style thingy that's accessible from the opposite side of the crank.

How do I remove the pedals without ruining them?

Thanks in advance!

(warning...novice alert)
Californian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 05:19 PM   #2
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian View Post
I'm swapping my shimano (spd)? 105 pedals and replacing with speedplay zeros. I don't have the original box or packaging, and when I examine the pedals I see the logical bolt that I might loosen...but there's also a hex-nut style thingy that's accessible from the opposite side of the crank.

How do I remove the pedals without ruining them?

Thanks in advance!

(warning...novice alert)
15mm pedal wrench or other narrow 15mm wrench. With the bike sitting on the ground place wrench on flat of pedal....torque the wrench towards the rear of the bike. This is for both sides. Depending on the speedplays you have you might need to install the new pedals with an allen key. For installing the wrench gets torqued to the front.
cavernmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 06:07 PM   #3
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech View Post
15mm pedal wrench or other narrow 15mm wrench. With the bike sitting on the ground place wrench on flat of pedal....torque the wrench towards the rear of the bike. This is for both sides. Depending on the speedplays you have you might need to install the new pedals with an allen key. For installing the wrench gets torqued to the front.
Correct, using a proper wrench on the wrench flats is important. The hex socket on the inside of the spindle may not offer enough strength to remove a pedal. Remember turn the wrench towards the rear wheel when the wrench is starting at the 12 o'clock position. In other works, turn the right pedal counterclockwise to remove. Turn the left pedal clockwise to remove.
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 06:17 PM   #4
sch
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Mountain Brook. AL
Bikes:
Posts: 3,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Simple way to remember how to turn pedals is that rotating the pedal axle with a
wrench in the same direction as pedaling the bike forward tightens the pedal in the
crank. Rotating the pedal axle in the direction of freewheeling cranks loosens the
pedals. This applies to R and L pedals. Speedplays should screw in by hand and
a little lube on the threads is not a bad idea. You don't need huge torque to install
pedals and rarely to remove the pedals.
sch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 06:45 PM   #5
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sch View Post
...a little lube on the threads is not a bad idea. You don't need huge torque to install
pedals and rarely to remove the pedals.
+1. Grease on the threads will be appreciated when you remove them in the future. And +1 regarding installation torque - no need to apply gorilla torque, but maybe something around 20 ft-lb. In normal operation, the pedals are "self tightening" as you pedal forward.
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 06:53 PM   #6
melslur
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: St. Catharines
Bikes: cheap 80's Japanese Bianchi, nice 80's Italian Bianchi, 05 Specialized Comp Intl
Posts: 22
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sch View Post
Simple way to remember how to turn pedals is that rotating the pedal axle with a
wrench in the same direction as pedaling the bike forward tightens the pedal in the
crank. Rotating the pedal axle in the direction of freewheeling cranks loosens the
pedals. This applies to R and L pedals.
In other words, the left pedal has reverse threads, and the right pedal has normal threads.
melslur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 07:02 PM   #7
MudPie
Senior Member
 
MudPie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Bikes:
Posts: 1,874
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by melslur View Post
In other words, the left pedal has reverse threads, and the right pedal has normal threads.
Also, on my Shimano 520's, there is a "R" and "L" stamped on the spindle near the wrench flat and the pedal itself shows a tiny arrow indicating direction to tighten. Often, I have to wipe away the dirt/dust, squint, and get the right viewing angle to see it (but I refuse to wear bifocals).
MudPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 09:08 PM   #8
Californian
Member
Thread Starter
 
Californian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sacamento, California
Bikes:
Posts: 45
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you! Got the old spd's off smoothly...took a little more force that I might have expected. The new Speed Play Zeros went on real easy, but installing the cleats was a bit confusing for a neophyte. Finally got them facing the right direction and whoa...what a different ride! Will take some getting used to, but I think I like it
Californian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:19 PM.