Cycling and bicycle discussion forums. 
   Click here to join our community Log in to access your Control Panel  


Go Back   > >

Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-03-07, 02:26 PM   #1
kleng
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kleng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perth, Australia and sometimes Penang Malaysia
Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tufo extreme tubular tape - reuse

Hi I've used Tufo extreme tape to mount a tubular on a full carbon rim, now I need to take the tire off to retrue the wheel. Can I reuse the tape if it comes off easily or should I use a new one.

Thanks
kleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 04:52 PM   #2
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleng View Post
Hi I've used Tufo extreme tape to mount a tubular on a full carbon rim, now I need to take the tire off to retrue the wheel. Can I reuse the tape if it comes off easily or should I use a new one.

Thanks
TUFO tape is great stuff but it is notorious for being a complete hassle to remove. If you can get the tire off without destroying it the tape will not likely be usable. I would suggest trying to true it without removing the tire. If its a radial problem, or the spokes use hex head nipples, and the tire has to come off...expect to at least replace the base tape. This stuff is called extreme for a reason.
cavernmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 07:26 PM   #3
kleng
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kleng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perth, Australia and sometimes Penang Malaysia
Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavernmech View Post
TUFO tape is great stuff but it is notorious for being a complete hassle to remove. If you can get the tire off without destroying it the tape will not likely be usable. I would suggest trying to true it without removing the tire. If its a radial problem, or the spokes use hex head nipples, and the tire has to come off...expect to at least replace the base tape. This stuff is called extreme for a reason.
Thanks for the reply, unfortunately the tubular has to come off as its a Reynolds carbon rim and you can only get access to the spoke nipples via the rim bed.
kleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 01:50 AM   #4
kleng
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
kleng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Perth, Australia and sometimes Penang Malaysia
Bikes: Litespeed L1r, Litespeed Ghisallo 07, TCR Advanced Team SL 0 ISP, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Giant TCR Advanced Team - T-Mobile, Giant Propel Advanced SL
Posts: 1,916
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've taken the tape off, it would actually be reuseable, but for peace of mind I'll replace it.
The high tape adhesion to the rim did not change when I pulled it off (pretty hard to get off) and replaced it back, the adhesion of the tape to the tire was only slightly reduced by the adhesion of cotton particles when pulling the tire off the rim.

This tape is brilliant as it leave absolutely no residue on the rim or the tire, both are like new
kleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 09:03 AM   #5
cavernmech
Jonnys ilegitimate Father
 
cavernmech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: toronto
Bikes: too many too list
Posts: 2,994
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kleng View Post
I've taken the tape off, it would actually be reuseable, but for peace of mind I'll replace it.
The high tape adhesion to the rim did not change when I pulled it off (pretty hard to get off) and replaced it back, the adhesion of the tape to the tire was only slightly reduced by the adhesion of cotton particles when pulling the tire off the rim.

This tape is brilliant as it leave absolutely no residue on the rim or the tire, both are like new
Wow...you are pretty lucky to not have a mess to deal with. The few times I have had to take this stuff off it was an absolute pain. Perhaps the carbon rim is a bit easier to deal with. Glad to hear the tire didn't get damaged. How long did you have it on there?
cavernmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:01 PM.