Advertise on Bikeforums.net



User Tag List

Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: cleat screw

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    cleat screw

    One of the screws on my left foot cleat is lost. Do I have to buy a new set of cleats, are spare screws available, or should i just try some spare screws lying around that may work?

  2. #2
    cab horn
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    My Bikes
    1987 Bianchi Campione
    Posts
    28,295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ssman View Post
    One of the screws on my left foot cleat is lost. Do I have to buy a new set of cleats, are spare screws available, or should i just try some spare screws lying around that may work?
    And what cleats are you using...?
    Mes compaingnons cui j'amoie et cui j'aim,... Me di, chanson.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the ones that come with Shimano PD-520 pedals

  4. #4
    Your mom
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    2,546
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on whether or not you want to get it out again. If I were you, I'd pull the other screw and go to the LBS. You want the hex head for when you take them out someday.

  5. #5
    Senior Member erader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    silicon valley
    Posts
    1,774
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tellyho View Post
    Depends on whether or not you want to get it out again. If I were you, I'd pull the other screw and go to the LBS. You want the hex head for when you take them out someday.

    or a hardware store.

    ed rader

  6. #6
    Gone, but not forgotten Sheldon Brown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Newtonville, Massachusetts
    My Bikes
    See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles
    Posts
    2,301
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by erader View Post
    or a hardware store.
    Although better hardware stores will have something with the correct (M5) threading, the heads of SPD cleat screws are specially shaped to fit the cleats. You won't find them at any hardware store I know of, but any decent bike shop should be able to provide them.

    Sheldon "M5" Brown
    [COLOR=blue][CENTER][b]Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts[/b]
    Phone 617-244-9772, FAX 617-244-1041
    [URL= http://harriscyclery.com] http://harriscyclery.com[/URL]
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide
    [URL=http://captainbike.com]http://captainbike.com[/URL]
    Useful articles about bicycles and cycling
    [URL=http://sheldonbrown.com]http://sheldonbrown.com[/URL] [/CENTER] [/COLOR]

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Wilmington, DE
    My Bikes
    2003 Specialized Hardrock, 2004 LOOK KG386i, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1
    Posts
    8,849
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon Brown View Post
    Although better hardware stores will have something with the correct (M5) threading, the heads of SPD cleat screws are specially shaped to fit the cleats. You won't find them at any hardware store I know of, but any decent bike shop should be able to provide them.

    Sheldon "M5" Brown
    Really? They're not the standard metric 90 degree flat head? I honestly don't know but I'd be surprised if they designed in a special screw where it seems to me that a standard one would work (though I haven't looked that closely, just going from memory during installation).

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •